Change video card = major delay?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered the dual 2gig G5 on July 18th with the stock ATI 9600 video card, now I'm considering switching to the 9800 Pro.

Do you think this would cause a major delay in my delivery of the dual 2gig?

I know I can call Apple and ask, but given their track record with delivery dates they're not exactly trustworthy.

Has anyone actually made the switch after ordering and was your delivery date delayed due to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I would call them just to see what they say. I mean its possible they may be able to actually give you an approximation of the difference in time getting it stock vs. BTO without having to say specific dates. Like when its your turn instead of you machine shipping right out it will take an extra 2 weeks to make it out of bto land or something. But I guess it's prob not as simple as that. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I ordered the dual 2gig G5 on July 18th with the stock ATI 9600 video card, now I'm considering switching to the 9800 Pro.

Do you think this would cause a major delay in my delivery of the dual 2gig?

I doubt they have touched you G5 as of yet. At this point it's just paper work awaiting product availability. I don't see how it would delay your shipment anymore than any other BTO unit. You have waited this long, what's a few more days? If I where in your shoes I would call Apple and find out. They may have under estimated product availability and shipping dates, but I don't think they will lie to you if you ask.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    You will enjoy this thing for quite awhile. Patience is a virtue. Go with the card you want.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    fyi: just about everything coming out of apple today that isn't already in inventory is delayed out the wazoo. i am STILL waiting for my dual g4 i ordered 3 weeks ago. it has supposedly entered "manufacturing," so i can't even cancel the order and change it to something else anymore.

ARGH!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i am STILL waiting for my dual g4 i ordered 3 weeks ago.

ARGH!

Wow, I didn't realize that even the G4 are delayed. i imagine that they are not selling many iMacs, since that line is being refreshed. Same goes for the powerbooks (I'm being optimistic on the refresh aspect.). Does this all mean that Apple is selling a lot more now or are they having a bad time this quarter. I realy don't understand why the G4 would be held up. I bet we will hear more from Steve in Paris regarding the G5 pre-orders. I hope the numbers are high for both orders and shipments because they can't make it just selling eMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Well the reason I'm hedging is that I'm not a gamer and don't know if the 9800Pro will mean anything to me as far as any performance benefits.

If you're not a gamer does it make any sense to upgrade the 9600 Pro to the 9800 Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Yea I'm acually thinking the same thing. I'm getting a dual at work where I do just about everything (web, print, video) except 3d. Will the 9800s performance only benifit 3D appz and games? It's just alot more money $300 + tax on the order cuz I would have to get it from Apple vs. like macmall. If I was getting the machine for myself at home I would without a doubt get the 9800 cuz I do 3d and play games.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Will the 9800s performance only benifit 3D appz and games?

I would think Quartz Extreme can put the 9800 card to good use for any app.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Wow, I didn't realize that even the G4 are delayed.

yeah, when asked directly about this several times, they gave me the following excuses...

a.) production lines had been changed for G5 production

b.) the dual-G4 has apparently far exceeded expectations in popularity (bargain hunters like me)

c.) the dual G4's were outselling the single G4's by such a wide margin that they had to reconfigure their product numbers -- and subsequently the ordering system

d.) ANY build-to-order item automatically means a from-scratch build (instead of what would make sense to you and me, open a pre-exisiting dual g4, swap the video cards, add the ram, seal it back up, send it)

the thing that annoys me is that they offer NOTHING with regards to compensating for the THREE CALENDAR WEEKS i have been waiting for this machine. not even free shipping, or maybe a $50 coupon or something.

ACK!

(p.s. if you couldn't tell, i am tired of waiting...)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    They are delaying all CTOs for order. I placed an order for a 1.8 with a 9600 and it got pushed back 2 weeks. If you don't need it and don't really want to wait longer don't get it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Well I changed it, I called Apple and was told that changing the video card will not delay my delivery at all.

The change is already reflected on my order status with the same on or before 9/29 quote, who knows how long that might last!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I bought the 9800 Pro retail version. Love it. Bye-bye NVIDIA 5200!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Obviously if you ordered your Powermac 'BTO', it will take longer than if you ordered the standard model.