Schemes for duality?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Where the heck can I find schemes for Duality 4gt?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    You could start here: http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/

Also, beware, because schemes can really fuk up a computer. That said, I've been running SmoothStripes from almost a year now without any problems whatsoever.

YMMV
  • Reply 2 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That guy has an ad for a hosting company on his site and he doesn't use them as his host.

Ok, it's not that funny.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Duality is evil. I installed, played with and trashed it in a matter of an hour. Nothing but trouble.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Never caused me a single problem. But I got bored with the Themes. They just suck compared to the old Kaleidoscope Schemes.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    I'd suggest using ThemeChanger instead. Hasn't been updated in a while but it's pretty rock solid.

Oh and a tip... after installing a theme... open an app and if it doesn't launch then revert your theme. Generally bad themes don't really do anything. The reason nothing launches is just because its GUI won't work. It shouldn't trash your system or anything. ThemeChanger comes with a command line program that you can run at bootup if anything does happen though.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Snow kicks. I finally found a theme better than Aqua. It is sort of like metal but easier on the eyes. It's a blue-ish Smoothstripes. I don't like the highlights in the menus, the Aqua button color is a bit bright but other then that it's my new favorite theme.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

That guy has an ad for a hosting company on his site and he doesn't use them as his host.

Ok, it's not that funny.

Maxthemes.com is the newest address for the same site, perhaps that's why the ad is there? Also, http://swizcore.com is the only place I really bother to get themes, besides from Max. SS Power Metal is my new favorite.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I personally like the new Aluminum Alloy Toxic theme. Now my computer is all green. And I switched from Duality 4 GT (which was slow and didn't handle the menu bars properly) to ThemeChanger which works fine. However, make sure you download AquaFix before you apply any themes. It works on any Mac except G5s, and one of the last revisions of G4s (it'll explain on the website). Basically it restores all of Aqua even if themes screwed up your computer. It can even be run from the command line in case you can't boot into the GUI like normal.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Moving to Software.

<insert standard warning about ****ing-up your computer by using "theme" installers>

I hope all you guys using themes make your own backups and are comfortable with making repairs in single-user mode in the event that the installer doesn't nicely handle some oddball problem it isn't expecting.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Did you get tired of your standard copy-paste theme warning? All my important stuff is on CD-Rs, and I have all my OS X install discs. The only thing that would suck about having to recover from an unexpected re-install, if I could not fix it in single user mode, would be importing all my CDs over again. The dangerous thing about using themes is when some idiot figures a theme that says it's for 10.1 only should work in 10.2 and tries it anyways, and then runs to the nearest message board with a GUI forum and flips out about how themes are bad and they ruined his computer. Meh.. I'll take my chances.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I don't see why themes are dangerous, they are just replacing tiffs and pdfs right? Anyway what is better about ThemeChanger then Duality? I used ThemeChanger until Duality GT came out. ThemeChanger has gone much longer with an update. Yes that new Toxic theme is HOT I like the new progress bars. I can't decide which I like better, Alu or Snow. But I like them both more then Aqua. That's a first for a Theme for me. I don't get sick of seeing them.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Duality 4 GT doesn't apply all of Aluminum Alloy's interface elements. Namely, the menubars. You have to use ThemeChanger in order for the menubars to look right.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I don't see why themes are dangerous, they are just replacing tiffs and pdfs right?

It's much more than tiffs and pdfs.

One of the more critical pieces is the Extras.rsrc file. If its layout isn't perfect or any of its resources are missing or damaged, the OS will choke when loading it. By "choke" I mean that you will not be able to boot up to the desktop. If you don't have a clean backup of the Extras.rsrc and know how to replace it from the command line in single-user mode, you'll have to reinstall the system from your Mac OS X Install CDs.

There are a number of other files that themes change that can have a similar effect.

And then there's the problem of some people using package installers that break permissions or inadvertently copy over the developer's .DS_Store files. Though, fewer people are doing this today.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Just download and install the program called aquafix and you should be able to recover from a shit theme, even if you can't start up since it comes with a command line tool. [CYA] You may have bigger problems than that, but I really haven't heard of any. [/CYA]
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The biggest problems occur when AquaFix is run on a computer that doesn't support it. That can REALLY screw things up, far worse than many themes can. So you have to make sure it's supported for your machine.