Any of you yoorps ever watch or care about NFL Europe?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious . . . . do you even know the teams? if you do what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I used to watch it occasionally to get my football fix, but now that the NFL season has started there's no need.

NFL Europe just never grabbed me like our NFL.

The production just lacked the quality that I'm used to - commentators, camera work, etc.

And the games themselves left me flat as well.

Seems like every time that I'd watch a game Barcelona was playing, so they have become my favorite.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    do you mean the soccer or football? i've never cared about the american football, looks so brutal. i know more about european sumo wrestling than of european 'american' football. soccer is in most europe as watched as here baseball, except in north europe where many seem hockey fanatics.

oh, as a yooorppean i do care about the local soccer. fire..! nfl europe? never heard of.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Nope, but then again, I don't care about the NFL in America.

I'm an avowed soccer nut.

Go Ajax!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    There's an NFL in Europe?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I believe that they are shutting down NFL Europe after this season. Not enough $ made nor prospects developed. I think the only people who go to games must be overseas US military folk. I s'pose the league could be somewhat more useful for developing prospects if the unlikely happens and Clarett sues and youngins start to turn pro.

Soccer is for hermaphrodites and eurotrash and anyone who brings it up in a Football thread should be exiled to a padded room filled with scripts rejected by Aaron Spelling as too melodramatic.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Soccer is for hermaphrodites and eurotrash and anyone who brings it up in a Football thread should be exiled to a padded room filled with scripts rejected by Aaron Spelling as too melodramatic.

Don't you know that Soccer was called Football before American Football took the name and applied it to the "sport" that we made up after watching a few Rugby matches.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Don't you know that Soccer was called Football before American Football took the name and applied it to the "sport" that we made up after watching a few Rugby matches.

When did soccer/football become popular? I must admit I don't know. I assume that it was before American Football since American football didn't become popular till right after the Civil War, late 1860s and the 1870s. Not sure where the word soccer fits in there on the timeline as well, after all we can blame the Brits for coming up with that name with that association split or whatever the hell it was.

Ajax is PSV Eindhoven's beyotch.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

Why'd you put sport in double quotes?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Why'd you put sport in double quotes?

IMHO I don't consider American Football to be much of a sport.

There is little action, or maybe I should say that the action rarely lasts more than 15 seconds followed by minutes of waiting. Absolutely boring. Football is followed by Baseball and Golf in the most boring to watch category.

Compare it with basketball, hockey, rugby, aussie rules or soccer and you will see end to end action.

Most of the lineman on a football team would drop to the ground in exhaustion after a few minutes playing in a competative basketball, soccer, rugby, aussie rules football or hockey game. I absolutely love to watch one of those big linemen come out after 2 plays and stick that oxygen mask in their face.

Yes, I played American football as a kid (junior high and high school). I was even 'on' a team that produced a decent NFL player. Well, I shouldn't say I 'played'. I never played an offical game in junior or high. I had a knee blown out in eighth grade and had to sit out until tenth.

Then I had my other knee blown out in tenth. All in practice. Doctor said you can't play no more boy.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

IMHO I don't consider American Football to be much of a sport.

There is little action, or maybe I should say that the action rarely lasts more than 15 seconds followed by minutes of waiting. Absolutely boring. Football is followed by Baseball and Golf in the most boring to watch category.

WTH?

If you want to talk about absolutely boring we can talk about soccer or football as the world knows it.

Lets sit and watch guys running all over the field for 90 minutes only to have the game end at 1-0. :Yawn:
  • Reply 11 of 15
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    I used to watch just for curiosity's sake when it was WLAF (World League of American Football) with teams throughout Europe and the US. Now that them've closed the U.S. teams and most of the teams outside of Germany, I've really lost interest. I had hoped that it would turn into a real world-wide league with teams in Europe, US, Asia, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

WTH?

If you want to talk about absolutely boring we can talk about soccer or football as the world knows it.

Lets sit and watch guys running all over the field for 90 minutes only to have the game end at 1-0. :Yawn:

How many times does Arnie really kill the T-1000 in T2?

Exactly, and still, the movie is not boring at all.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Unless they're Italian in which case it ends 0-0.

Quote:

Most of the lineman on a football team would drop to the ground in exhaustion after a few minutes playing in a competative basketball, soccer, rugby, aussie rules football or hockey game. I absolutely love to watch one of those big linemen come out after 2 plays and stick that oxygen mask in their face.

That's true for junior high and high school many times but it isn't true for college or certainly NFL players. A majority of college OL at the D1 level played basketball in high school. The notion that they are not athletes is an old stereotype which some people can't let go of for whatever reason. Modern nutrition plus weights and juice yields massive bastards who are still in good shape. Of course, an NFL guard doesn't have the body type that is most conducive to endurance events at the professional level. Just as Micheal Owen doesn't have the body type that is most conducive to competing in a sport requiring strength at the professional level. Of course setting aside OL and DT, even then you have 2 WR, a RB, a QB, a RB/TE/WR, 2 DE, 3 LBs 2 CBs and 2 S. All are very fit at the college and pro level with NFL WR and CBs having world class sprinters speed in some cases, at least before the big WR trend.

Soccer is shite anyway. As soon as they start redcarding all these pansy ass diving pussies for their feeble acting everytime someone touches them then maybe they'll get their sport back to something respectable.

Quote:

Compare it with basketball, hockey, rugby, aussie rules or soccer and you will see end to end action.

There is some merit to this argument but mostly in an ideal sense. The reality is that in a lot of games the promise of continual motion is only marginally realized.

Basketball at its worst a repitition of pick and roll, a reasonable strategy but mind-numbingly dull. The Pistons killed the NBA and the Knicks and Heat brought it to its knees. And international basketball, while perhaps a better game, is too low in quality to be of much solace.

Olympic hockey can be a great game, once every four years for the games between the top few teams. But the Neutral Zone trap made the NHL a bark league. At least they worked on obstruction. Gone are the freewheeling days of the early 80s. Nothing like 3 hours or forechecking and hoping that you get a powerplay so that someone can actually score.

I'd rather watch paint dry on the inside of my eyelids than watch the majority of soccer with hopeless long balls and a back and forth series of mediocre midfield play leaving little open space and few attacks. It seems all of the motion sports have gone conservative. Christ, all we get over here too is the Champions League, I can't imagine how ****ing boring it would be to see lesser skilled teams play. If I see one more team pass the ball around the midfield three times, then backpass to the goalie for a pointless bomb to his striker who is surrounded by three defenders I swear I'll burn my David Beckham action figure in effigy. Don't test me, I'll do it. And Liverpool should be shot on general principles.

Can't speack to Aussie rules or rugby really. Gues I'll have to move down under to see.

End to end action is a nice ideal, and occasionally realized but it is far from the norm. Just because the ball/puck is in play doesn't mean there is real action, and end to end at that, going on.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    American football is about force and strategy

Basketball is about grace under pressure

soccer is about relentless poetic struggle

they are all great sports and I enjoy wayching all of them . . . infact I am surprised soccer is not more popular here in the states . . . I watched the world cup five years ago while in Europe and it was so damn exciting I couldn't believe it . . .

the sport that gets me is baseball?! now that is boring

although Im sure that if I watched a few games it too would get exciting

love to watch the best compete with each other at their highest pitch . . . its all exciting!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Soccer is an abbreviation that comes from "Association Football." Remember that (i think) the Brits invented soccer, but they also invented Rugby. Rugby was developed from soccer (called football) and soon enough it became called football itself. (and it still is called football in certain countries.) So the name soccer came to differentiate the two sports.

Rugby came to America where it was simplified into Football, but then soccer really took root and became Football again.

So Football came from soccer.

As for NFL Europe, there was no atmosphere. The stands were always empty, the games always mediocre. Football, in my opinion, is a fun sport to watch socially because the action is well paced for simultaneous conversations and beer chugging. NFL Europe somehow lacked that appeal.