Where do you place your G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For those of you lucky enough to have one, I was wondering where you put it...on the floor or on your desk.

It's so cool looking that you'd want to have it up on top so people can see it. But it's also much bigger (I know the footprint is about the same as the G4), that it could look rather dominating if you have a smallish desk.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

For those of you lucky enough to have one, I was wondering where you put it...on the floor or on your desk.

It's so cool looking that you'd want to have it up on top so people can see it. But it's also much bigger (I know the footprint is about the same as the G4), that it could look rather dominating if you have a smallish desk.

On my desk.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    If you are planning on putting it on the floor, be aware that computers on the floor seem to collect 10x as much crap/dust. If you must put it on the floor (especially carpet) you might want to consider some sort of filters for the intake fans.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I already moved the shelf on the right side of my desk fully up to the edge of the desk and put my G4 (from the floor) onto it. By rotating it 90 degrees clockwise (front facing left) I have enough space between the shelf and the slanted ceiling even for the G5.

It took quite some time to rewire and find a new place for everything.

I want to see my G5 in all its beauty every day when I finally get it !

And I want to let the direct view at it impress everyone entering my room.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I tried putting my G4 on my desk, but it's just not a very logical thing to do in retrospect. Unless you have no floorspace, put it on the floor. It'll be quieter and out of the way. No nasty cable runs except for the monitor and USB for the keyboard...unless you have an ADC monitor with built-in USB hub...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I put mine on the highest point on my desk.

[IMG] http://www.angelfire.com/mech/os10geek/compsetup.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Or if you want a more spiritual/abstract answer, you could say I place my G5 "...above all else in my simple world."
  • Reply 7 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You have to stand up to insert a CD into the optical drive?!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I put mine on the highest point on my desk.

Might be time to buy a new desk, unless this is an attempt to give yourself some aerobic exercise each time you use the Superdrive.

Seriously ... have you even though about buying a new desk with a more useful shelf structure?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    On my wishlist.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You have to stand up to insert a CD into the optical drive?!

That's the "sit up" exercise

That helps you to keep your stomach firm
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Sure, it's a teenie bit inconvenient, but then again, I don't need to be constantly swapping optical disks. C'mon.

And the desk is actually very functional and well designed. Heck, even pscates agrees with me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    on my lap.....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    On my desk next to me
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Seems many are placing the G5 on the pedestal it deserves.

I'd like mine to rotate sexily on a slowly turning platform... to bad about them cables getting all wound up around it though.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I put mine on the floor, but only because the desk can't support the weight.

Also, it is the floor in the family room, not the room where my PC is located. I want to show it off, and I even placed it where I can remove the cover to show the inside!