To Rev B or Not to Rev B??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just looking for a little advice. I am currently looking at puchasing a dual 2 gig G5 with an Apple Cinema display. I am currently running a basic box stock G3-233 which was a rev A. The 233 was actually a fairly flawless rev A and the problems have been small to say the least. That being said, I know that Apple does not have the same track record with all of there rev A offerings. I was wondering what you people think the first offerings will be like and whether I should wait for the first go around. Any inpute is appreciated. Thnx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    resres Posts: 711member
    Normally I like to wait and see if there are any problems with a new product before I buy one, That being said, if I had the cash I would have already ordered the dual G5.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Yeah, order the G5. Apple has spent SO MUCH time on this project. If you are worried, but Applecare. Apple will fix any problems that arise but I doubt you will see any..

Joe
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Buy it.... you know you want to!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mock1

Just looking for a little advice. I am currently looking at puchasing a dual 2 gig G5 with an Apple Cinema display. I am currently running a basic box stock G3-233 which was a rev A. The 233 was actually a fairly flawless rev A and the problems have been small to say the least. That being said, I know that Apple does not have the same track record with all of there rev A offerings. I was wondering what you people think the first offerings will be like and whether I should wait for the first go around. Any inpute is appreciated. Thnx.

I ordered mine. I could not wait!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Apple's recent rev A track record hasn't been that bad. I've owned a rev A Beige G3 and a rev A Ti. In fact the only recent gripes I've heard about rev A products, is more about lack of features and not about hardware issues -- ie no slave support on the beige G3s, or the lackluster graphics card on the Ti, or the Yikes motherboard on the first G4s.

I had the same reservations as many others, but still I signed up for a Dual G5 and am eagerly awaiting my box. Who knows when the hell its coming. Either way, its not soon enough.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've owned a Rev. A iMac DV (I know the iMacs were around before then, but these were the newer slot-loading ones with FireWire, different RAM, new speakers, DVD drives, etc. Therefore, I consider such a change in architecture, features, body styling, etc. a "rev. A") and a Rev. A 800MHz G4 iMac.

I've had no problems.

I also briefly owned a tangerine iBook and it was perfect as well (I should've kept it, if only for the surfing/e-mailing and cool-ass novelty of having an orange laptop). But I'll be honest: I can't remember if it was a Rev. A or B (I know the blueberry and tangerine came out in summer of '99. I think mine was one of those Tokyo 2000 bumped models - where they also unveiled the graphite iBook...6GB hard drive and 320MB max RAM, I believe).

Anyway, I've had nothing but success and good things with Rev. A Apple gear.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mock1

The only Rev A that I had problems with was the first iPod. I went through three of them before I got one that would work.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Imagine the speed jump going from 233 MHz G3 to Dual 2000 MHz G5...

I say go for it!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

I say go for it!

In my case the speed bump will be from a 333 G3 to a dual 2000 mhz G5 : i can't wait ...

I expect to have it in my hands before october.

I don't think it' s necessary to wait for a revision. Apple has worked years on this one, and have inserted all the latest technologies avalaible : PCI X, fire wire 800, gigabit ethernet, AGP 8 X pro, USB 2, airport extreme, DDR 400, Hypertransport, serial ATA, superdrive, cpu controled air cooling ...

Except a speedbump, i don't see really what you can add for the next coming two years, except fixing some bugs issues. So wait the first impressions of people who own them, and if you do no ear nothing particulary wrong : buy one, if you can.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

I say go for it!

I heard from "SS Manic Devlin" that the G5 was actually SLOWER than a G3@233 !

• Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Normally I like to wait and see if there are any problems with a new product before I buy one, That being said, if I had the cash I would have already ordered the dual G5.

I ordered my Dual 2.0 on 8/12. I am supposed to get it on or before 10/23. Maybe it will be a Rev B by then?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Here's my opinion. The Powermac G5 Rev A is already 3 years in the making. Apple has spent more time designing the G5 than they've ever spent making a new Powermac.

Consider the current Powermacs to be Rev E, because they might as well be.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I heard from "SS Manic Devlin" that the G5 was actually SLOWER than a G3@233 !

Don't make me ban you too.

• Reply 14 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

I say go for it!

devil
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

devil

I'd say go for it, even if you have a....well, say for example, an old SLOW dual 1 GHz... when the G5 optimized apps arrive the speed increase will be much more than 100%.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Let it be known that Rev B's can be just as problematic as Rev A's.

Rev B means nothing really.

You can have a good Rev A but a problematic Rev B...or you can have it the other way around. Or you can have A crappy Rev A and a crappy Rev B. Or a good Rev A and a good Rev B.

Just like software...a hardware upgrade/revision will try to fix old bugs but may introduce new ones.

It's always good to wait a bit to see what people are saying about the new product. But holding out for Rev B when there seems to be no known problems with Rev A would be ridiculous.

I say go for it.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Thanks for all of the insightful views on my question. I feel that the hardware should be relitively problem free. The firmware and apps. are my big question. My wife (believe it or not) who only uses the computer for school work is continually telling me to " just order it won't you." I have saved money for this for about two years now, and I vowed that I would not buy until it was a G5. Now that Christmas morning is here (relitively speaking) I really want to savor the presents before I open them up. The best advice I've seen is wait and read the reviews, by regular poeple, and see if it is what they were expecting. I really have to sit back and look at two years and just a little bit more now. Thanks again for all the feedback, It's great. I'll be reading all of the stuff on the duals that you guys write so keep posting.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Oh, for heavens sake! Just buy the damn thing! Sounds like you're way past due for an upgrade. The Dual 2GHz has nearly 20 times the processing power of your current setup in MHz alone!

I personally plan to wait until summer '04. I planned to upgrade this fall, but honestly my current Dual 1GHz Quicksilver 2002 is still doing a kickass job! I'm a photographer and deal with Photoshop daily. Photoshop could be written better, but it procedes at a more than comfortable pace. And I am still quite amazed when I am working on five photos, scanning with my Nikon Coolscan 8000, printing to my Epson 9600 and listening to iTunes all at the same time without a hiccup! Its the best computer I've ever had. I will really miss it when I upgrade. But a 3GHz G5 is just too tempting! As is 8 Gigs of RAM, Jesus!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Major Tom

As is 8 Gigs of RAM, Jesus!

It'll be 16 Gigs by then, because of 2 GB sticks.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    You won't feel too hard done by if you get the dual 2 gigger. I'm certainly tempted.

But, by the time can give a few days to ship configurable orders on the dual 2 gig machine it will probably be mid October at this rate of going. That's only two months-ish to Macworld 2004.

Personally? I'm waiting. Not because the 2 gigger isn't a fine machine. It is. But a few months after I could conceivably get one...Apple are going to have to release a dual 2.5 gigger to be in line with their '3 gig' by next June prediction.

500mhz? That is a big bump. On fpu calcs? It's like having an extra 1 gig G4! Per CPU if you count dual cpus. It will certainly give a 4 gig Pentium something to think about even if Intel can bring them out.

S'funny, all those who bought a dual 2 gigger will be a whole 1 gig behind on each cpu by next June. Under the G4 you could buy knowing that with each crappy Moto bump you'd never by more that a few hundred mhz behind and still have the same bus speed...

It's a nice new quandry to be in. But it seems the 970 has legs. A case that will cope with running a 970 'hot' if need be. Looks like we'll see regular updates or more regular updates. I'm going to wait until San Fran 2004. It's all Leonis' fault. His Rev B mantra got to me...

Lemon Bon Bon