CAD for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just wondering if there are any applications that are comparable to AutoCad 2002 for the Mac? I'm currently in a class that requires the students to use AutoCad which that means I will have to get VPC and then run AutoCad on top of that. I really don't want to shell out $250 for VPC and then $200 more for AutoCad.

Any suggestions?

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by tvc15

Just wondering if there are any applications that are comparable to AutoCad 2002 for the Mac? I'm currently in a class that requires the students to use AutoCad which that means I will have to get VPC and then run AutoCad on top of that. I really don't want to shell out $250 for VPC and then $200 more for AutoCad.

Any suggestions?

Brian

there is quite a few actually and vectorworks and archicad spring to mind. you might want to check out architosh.com for more specific info regarding that kind of stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If you have to shell out money for VPC, then it's better to spend that money on a used PC laptop. Seriously. Using AutoCad under VPC for any kind of work is not fun. Please trust me on this and refuse your curiosity to 'just try for yourself.' You will feel much happier.

For $200, you could find a nice IBM 12" 600E Pentium II that runs AutoCad much better and smoother than any PowerBook.

For Mac CAD applications, VectorWorks exports and imports .DWG just fine. ArchiCad too, if virtual building, rather than 2D is your goal.

What type of CAD work are you doing? VectorWorks has different modules for different fields...mechanical, architecture, landscape, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i thought AutoCAD was EXPENSIVE...more then $200
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

I really don't want to shell out $250 for VPC and then $200 more for AutoCad.

You might be able to save a little money if your school has a Microsoft agreement.

Look around and see if you can find VPC 6.0 for DOS. Then get Windows 2000 or XP from the bookstore. I can't say for sure how much this will be because it depends on what kind of agreement the school has. For example, last year I could get Microsoft Office for $25 (the disk "rental fee"). This year the school changed their agreement and does not pay the license fee so the cost is $68.

Also, look around for the different versions of AutoCAD if you only need it for a few classes. Last year they had a one year licenses and a two year license (which was about double the cost). The newest version has an academic career license. I've seen old versions of software for sale at a discount at my school bookstore.

www.academicsuperstore.com is a good place to look to compare prices.

Also note that even if you buy AutoCAD at your school bookstore, you might not be able to use it right away. I had to fax a copy of my ID and class schedule to Autodesk and then they sent me the code to install the software. If I remember correctly, it took almost two weeks. I faxed them the info, then called when I didn't get a reply, and had to send the information again. Apparently, I didn't have to send the duplicate information because they are just slow. The phone call was no help because they can't track the request and can only make an excuse that the information might have gotten lost.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Any demo's of any of those apps? I want to check them out before I would buy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The actual application that I need is AutoCad LT, which is offered at my university's computer store for $138. I really don't want to even spend that much money on a program that I'm only going to use for 2 months. The reason that I have to buy it is because of the unwillingness of my grad graphics program to set up a left-handed pc for me to use during the lab hours. I've never been able to do anything that requires even the slightest bit of finesse with my right hand. The instructor looked at me like I was an idiot for requesting that the "switch right-click buttons" option in the control panel be activated for me. He didn't seem to understand that the right and left click buttons would be on the wrong sides if I just simply placed the mouse on the left of the computer as he strongly suggested. I'm 33 years old and have been using a computer every day for the last 22 years with my left hand. I think that it's inappropriate for them to ask for me to learn how to do things with my right hand!

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to vent a little.

Brian
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

The actual application that I need is AutoCad LT, which is offered at my university's computer store for $138. I really don't want to even spend that much money on a program that I'm only going to use for 2 months. The reason that I have to buy it is because of the unwillingness of my grad graphics program to set up a left-handed pc for me to use during the lab hours. I've never been able to do anything that requires even the slightest bit of finesse with my right hand. The instructor looked at me like I was an idiot for requesting that the "switch right-click buttons" option in the control panel be activated for me. He didn't seem to understand that the right and left click buttons would be on the wrong sides if I just simply placed the mouse on the left of the computer as he strongly suggested. I'm 33 years old and have been using a computer every day for the last 22 years with my left hand. I think that it's inappropriate for them to ask for me to learn how to do things with my right hand!

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to vent a little.

Brian

I'm left handed and I think people who set their computer up left handed are weird. But I still like you
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Vectorworks looks like the app of choice at the moment, and if you want to render impressive images of your architecture as well, it has a very good Render package that can be purchased later.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

He didn't seem to understand that the right and left click buttons would be on the wrong sides if I just simply placed the mouse on the left of the computer as he strongly suggested.

I'm left handed and have used the mouse from both sides, and I've never changed the right and left click buttons. Too complicated for my tiny brain: when the instructor says right click, that means I should left click ...

VPC and AutoCAD isn't worth it for two months. In my very limited experience with CAD programs, the advantage of AutoCAD is being able to use keyboard equivalents and the entry of coordinates for precise control. Hopefully, you'll be able to use the mouse for selection only, and rely on keyboard equivalents for the other stuff if the two button thing is that much of a problem.

I can't be more specific because my AutoCAD class was months ago and I don't remember the details.