Progression pics from 10.0 Beta-10.3...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can anyone post pictures from the origional 10.0 beta all the way up tp panther?

I think it would be cool to see the evolution of the look to OS X...

I think some of the old 10.0 stuff looks crappy to what we have right now in 10.3...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I plan to clean-install 10.0 on my eMac when I get Panther, then install Panther to see how far we've come.

Hmm? does anyone have any screens of the first developer's beta for OS X? if there was one? The reeeeally early version before the public beta.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I remember that OS X Server, released in 1999, had a somewhat smoothed out platinum appearance, no aqua. Actually it looked pretty good.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

I plan to clean-install 10.0 on my eMac when I get Panther, then install Panther to see how far we've come.

Hmm? does anyone have any screens of the first developer's beta for OS X? if there was one? The reeeeally early version before the public beta.

Chances are you won't be able to install 10.0 on any newer machines.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Try here They have screenshots and info from DP2 (no Aqua!) to Mac OS X v10.2.

Also for a screenshot of he first "Aquatic" X, go here.

For a look at Raphsody (one of the OS X descendants) try here. As for NeXT, look here. For a look at old Aqua widgets vs. new Aqua widgets, try here.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    What a long way we have come with OS X is a relatively short time.

Panther makes me happy! They are slowly getting all the things that make life easier in place. Just being able to tab through UI elements makes me happy. It is the little things that make me jump up and down and scare everyone at work.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    MacOS X DP 2 still had the classic interface, hehe... weird

• Reply 7 of 22
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    eww.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    http://24.224.252.37/Graphics/Desktops.php

I have a few pics here. Most noteably would be the 4th and last pics since they are DP4. There is also one of 10.1.3 and one of Jaguar.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zo

MacOS X DP 2 still had the classic interface, hehe... weird

Sort of classic. Classic appearance, NeXT experience.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

Just being able to tab through UI elements makes me happy.

Whoa there partner. I must have missed this in all the Panther discussions. Are you saying that you can now tab through *all* elements, including pop-up lists, in Safari and the like? That's cause for celebration (a small one, anyway. )

If this is true, may I inquire exactly how the keyboard controls pop-up lists? For instance, Does hitting "N" repeatedly cycle through all the items marked "N" (the right way), or do you have to hit "N" and then futz with the arrow keys (the wrong way)?

Back on topic, I find that while there are aspects of Aqua that I'm not crazy about, Platinum just looks so... crusty these days. And I think the embedded stoplights are a big improvement over the surface-mounted ones. Generally they're going in the right direction, except perhaps in the overuse of metal (though I like it in Safari.)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    anyone have a screenshot of the music app they had in OS X 10.0 Beta? I can't remember whats its called...Music Player?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

anyone have a screenshot of the music app they had in OS X 10.0 Beta? I can't remember whats its called...Music Player?

Yep, it's called Music Player. It was replaced in Mac OS X v10.0 by iTunes Port (When Beta came out, iTunes wasn't iThink.)

Here are some shots, from Ars Technica. Playlist:

and main window:
  • Reply 13 of 22

http://www.zdnet.co.jp/macwire/0009/...ualwindows.jpg

The Apple logo in the middle of the menu bar sure didn't last long.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Hmm? would Music Player be available for download from somewhere?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Music player won't run on newer version of OS X, only Public Beta, AFAIK
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Yup, I've tried, it doesn't work. Maybe you could edit some plist or something.

Barto
  • Reply 17 of 22
    No, it relies on old frameworks that have either changed or don't exist any more.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

No, it relies on old frameworks that have either changed or don't exist any more.

It would be cool if someone could get source or decompile it and do a minor update to only use the quicktime engine/frameworks.

I'm sure there is someone @ apple with source.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I just thought it'd be funny to ask. I wouldn't actually consider using that shitty-looking app in place of iTunes? would you?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    It was just recently that the play button was changed from that form in iTunes. I did like the interface of that player and it reminds me of the DVD Player interface. But it's playlist abilities were nothing near what iTunes can do!