iBook sold, now what? Refurb iMac or new eMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, my slow little iBook has finally sold. Now I need a replacement for it. I'm thinking of spending about a grand, since that's about what the iBook sold for. Basically I'm down to two choices:

Refurb iMac G4

800 MHz

Combo drive

256 MB RAM

60 GB hard drive

15" LCD screen

GeForce 2MX

$999 + tax

New eMac

1 GHz

Combo drive

128 MB RAM

60 GB hard drive

17" CRT screen

Tilt/swivel stand

Radeon 7500

$898 + tax (my educational discount at work here )

The iMac is more expensive, has a slower processor, a lower screen resolution (which represents no gain over my iBook's resolution although it is easier on the eyes), has a slightly worse graphics card which I'm not really concerned with as long as it can do QE, and costs more. On the other hand, the eMac comes with less RAM so I'd have to buy more to get it up to snuff, it has a CRT screen, and it's not nearly as cool.

I am not looking for suggestions to buy a 1.25 GHz G4 instead and then also spend $400+ on a good LCD, because I don't have $1600 lying around. I guess there might be some other options, but those are two that are available on Apple's website. Are there deals elsewhere that might be enticing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    As long as you're willing to pay more for less, would you like to buy my 700 MHZ LCD iMac with a 40 GB drive for $1097? The only drawback is that it has 768 MB of RAM, which is obviously better than the other two machines you've mentioned. But to stay consistent I'd be willing to remove the 512 MB chip I put in here to even things out.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member

Perhaps someone could sell me their old Quadra for the price it was when it was new. My brother has a Quadra 950 that originally sold for nearly $10,000, I could get that! And people would KNOW the computer is cool because I would have paid so much for such a slow one, that it has to have some sort of super-duper features to make up for it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    OK, twist my arm. I'll give it to you for $999, but you've got to keep the extra RAM. That's my final offer.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well I just ordered the eMac from the Apple store. It's just such a better deal than the iMac. Sorry bunge!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well I just ordered the eMac from the Apple store. It's just such a better deal than the iMac. Sorry bunge!

Good choice. I just assisted a friend in their choice of an eMac. Keep in mind that while you can run the screen at higher than 1024x768, these resolutions only support a slow refresh rate and look quite blurry.

You might also look into an iSub. $43 at overstock.com (Price includes UPS ground shipping)

The eMac's speakers are good but when an iSub is connected, a high pass crossover is used to limit the base sent to the internal speakers and they sound even better. This is equivalent to using a higher powered amp, giving you crisper sound along with less distortion from them no-longer attempting to play bass frequencies. An iSub actually improves the sound of your existing speakers in addition to giving you great bass.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Good luck with your purchase. I think it's the best deal Apple has right now for the budget conscious.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Good choice. I just assisted a friend in their choice of an eMac. Keep in mind that while you can run the screen at higher than 1024x768, these resolutions only support a slow refresh rate and look quite blurry.

You might also look into an iSub. $43 at overstock.com (Price includes UPS ground shipping)

The eMac's speakers are good but when an iSub is connected, a high pass crossover is used to limit the base sent to the internal speakers and they sound even better. This is equivalent to using a higher powered amp, giving you crisper sound along with less distortion from them no-longer attempting to play bass frequencies. An iSub actually improves the sound of your existing speakers in addition to giving you great bass.

I've used the eMac CRT before and I am not really bothered by the CRT, even at 1280x960 or 1152x864. That might change if I have used it for a long time but even an old Gateway EV700 17" monitor, that does 1280x1024 at 60 Hz, wasn't THAT bad. I guess I'm just not affected much by CRT flicker.

As far as the speakers are concerned, I already have a nice pair of Yamahas that I bought for $50. They're cheap but they are very good for the price. I'll stay with those for now, as I assume the stereo depth is better with the satellite speakers rather than the internals.