iTunes mini-me, i never knew...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just discovered you can now resize the iTunes player (when its in its mini-player screen mode) so it hides the display. its tiny, perfect for stuffing it in a corner of this 12" ibook screen, not a lot of extra real estate here.

pretty pointless topic, but is this a new(er) feature? i remember you used to only be able to size it to a minimum width including the display area. haven't tried since then and that was 1.5 years ago...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie

I just discovered you can now resize the iTunes player (when its in its mini-player screen mode) so it hides the display. its tiny, perfect for stuffing it in a corner of this 12" ibook screen, not a lot of extra real estate here.

pretty pointless topic, but is this a new(er) feature? i remember you used to only be able to size it to a minimum width including the display area. haven't tried since then and that was 1.5 years ago...

It's been that way as long as I can remember. I'm not sure when it made it's way into it, but I seem to remember being able to do it in the OS9 days, too. Maybe I'm wrong...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Actually, I'm pretty sure I have tried shrinking it right down before, and haven't been able to.

Just did it, and it's the first time I've seen it go that way. Thanks for the pointless thread!

(BTW, contrary to my regular posting habits here, that was NOT sarcasm)

I'm quite sure I've never seen this before (not that that means much):

• Reply 3 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Yes, now I'm sure that it's been here since at least 11/19/2001. Here's a post I made about iTunes 2's CPU usage then:

Quote:

Maybe you hit on something here: scrolling titles in iTunes is always on. Maybe that's what's causing the spike in cpu usage. With iTunes not playing, but open, cpu usage is 0.0%, as it should be. With it playing, and the window as small as it can go, it's at 18%. With it small, but so that I can see the scrolling title, it's at about 30%. What's that mean? The scrolling titles seem to make up about an extra 12% of cpu time. That's my non-scientific assessment of the situation.

I think this was the first time I tried to look at as saving resources, but I knew it could it for some time before that thread.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I stand corrected!

Guess if I spent as much time using apps as I do swapping computers, I'd know this stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I stand corrected!

Guess if I spent as much time using apps as I do swapping computers, I'd know this stuff.

Better watch it mubot, saying things like that might make me have to quote you in my sig! :-D
  • Reply 6 of 11
    /me glances at Banned User category under your username...

• Reply 7 of 11
    wait wait how do you do it again? I forgot how

I've had it demonstrated to me before but um forgot.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the green button beckons you...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

/me glances at Banned User category under your username...

...me shuts up and goes back to board lurking
  • Reply 10 of 11
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    This has been in iTunes since it's first unveiling.

That's right version 1.0

Mr. Jobs touted it as a great feature (it is for me at least).

It definitely follows the KISS directive.

Keep It Simple Stupid
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the green button beckons you...

yup click the green (+) button and make itunes go into the smaller mode that shows only the track, artist, etc. Then try adn resize the window as small as it will go and it will snap to the smallest version of the itunes window.