Next MS Office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know when the next MS Office is supposed to come out? Isn't it supposed to be written in Cocoa?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wouldn't count on ANY new versions of Office. This, of course, depends on Apple's stance on updating AppleWorks. Apple already has competitors for PowerPoint (Keynote) and Entourage (Mail/iCal/Address Book), so if they turn AppleWorks into a major word processing/spreadsheet application, MS might not even bother.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I wouldn't count on ANY new versions of Office. This, of course, depends on Apple's stance on updating AppleWorks. Apple already has competitors for PowerPoint (Keynote) and Entourage (Mail/iCal/Address Book), so if they turn AppleWorks into a major word processing/spreadsheet application, MS might not even bother.

I beg to differ; Keynote, while good, is still missing many features that PP has (and many hardcore presenters rely on), and to suggest that Mail/iCal/Address Book equals Entourage is a bit off the mark. iCal is good, but still young (like Keynote), and not as fully integrated as Entourage. Further, if you work in a Windows environment, the Apple combo just doesn't stack up to Entourage (or even the last version of Outlook that still requires Classic in order to run).

All this isn't to say that Apple doesn't have the beginnings of a sweet office setup, but that's all they are right now; a beginning. The Apple apps need more maturity/features/integration before they will truly dethrone MS in an office environment--but believe me, I'm sure hoping Apple will pull through!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I wouldn't count on ANY new versions of Office. This, of course, depends on Apple's stance on updating AppleWorks.

Actually, rumors point to the next version of Office being in the works.

The rumor mill's been very quiet on whether it'll be out late this year or next.

As for Cocoa... (1) It doesn't make much a difference whether an app is Cocoa or Carbon (as long as it's good), and (2) no, no major Carbon app not made by Apple is going to be rebuilt in Cocoa. That covers every piece of major software by Microsoft, Adobe, and Macromedia. It doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    "I wouldn't count on ANY new versions of Office."

That's funny--the current head of the Mac Business Unit at MSFT said they were working on it.

No idea on timeline, though.