Paris Expo 2003

Comments

• Reply 141 of 278
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

1.25GHz G4 12" PowerBook...WITH L3 cache, FireWire 800, USB 2, lighted keyboard AND DVI.

That's what I'm hoping for, except that I'd be happy with (and don't expect more than) 1.0 GHz, and a lighted keyboard, while it'd be nice, isn't a biggie for me, and I don't expect one either.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much I really expect L3 cache and DVI, but without those I'd be more inclined to stick with my 800 MHz TiBook a bit longer.

One thing I'd really, really like, but don't expect at all, unfortunately, would be a small boost of screen resolution on the 12". Not Squintronic™ extremes, just a little more room for the Dock, something (admittedly non-standard) like 1080x810 would be great.

I'm a little worried that the 15" might actually lose some screen resolution in the next update, going from its current 1280x854 down to the more standard 1280x800.
  • Reply 142 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I'll buy a 1.25GHz iMac out of sheer despair.

Wow. The depths of depravity! I broke down in March after waiting and waiting for a new 15-inch, and purchased a Ti867 as a tide-me-over. Now 6 months later, I can't imagine what my life would be like without it. Like I said in other forums before, even though it is the best Ti I have owned, I still dislike the TiBook series overall. But it has held me over for the time being, and has recently given me 2nd thoughts about just keeping it and skipping out on the next upgrade all together.

But I want the new features. I want the new, better keyboard. I have used the new keyboard of the 12- and 17-inch, and I feel that they are much better designed than the Ti's which is important to me since I use it to do a lot of typing and writing. Secondly I want the improved architecture. I want the faster 7547 or G5. I want the faster bus; hopefully faster hard drive, and video graphics. I want the stronger case, better hinge.

So here's to Tuesday. 4 AM Eastern. Can't F'n wait!
  • Reply 143 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Wow. The depths of depravity! I broke down in March after waiting and waiting for a new 15-inch, and purchased a Ti867 as a tide-me-over. Now 6 months later, I can't imagine what my life would be like without it. ...

So here's to Tuesday. 4 AM Eastern. Can't F'n wait!

That was a smart move. In January I first thought I wanted a 12" PB. Then I greadually talked myself into a 15" and I talked myself into thinking that the Al version was just around the corner. That corner took another six months to turn.

Just over 54 hours to go. Seems so close you could reach out and touch it.
  • Reply 144 of 278
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    One would almost have to think there there might just be something really exciting with regards to the 15" Powerbook.

I mean, why has it taken so long to get the most mainstream model out?

Is it still "The Year of The Laptop"?

Unless something big happens, the Power Mac G5 wins the award by default.
  • Reply 145 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I'm guessing there will be a new digital device, improved PowerBooks and new displays; not that I know anything. I'm also guessing much of the keynote will be about Panther and its release date of 10/3.

This sounds as plausible as anything else I've read around here. I'd add iTMS for Windoze to this list though.

What kind of new digital device might we expect? Assuming that it's not so much a new technology as a new device done right (as per the iPod), what are the most plausible options?

1. Despite Steve's well-known aversion to TV, some sort of Tivo-like device ought to be on the cards. I know that this is not a new thing to say, but it is an obvious gap in the digital hub. Apple should fill it before someone else does.

2. Perhaps we will see a device that uses Inkwell ... hope it's not a tablet.

P.S. Let's not forget Apple's push into film and video production: surely there's more to come on this front sooner or later!
  • Reply 146 of 278
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Is it still "The Year of The Laptop"?

More like "The year of the 1 GHz/Superdrive Titanium PowerBook G4."
  • Reply 147 of 278
    PowerBook aside, there were rumors in August of iPod peripheral(s?) coming out soon. With the pervasive advertising of the iPod in Paris that has been mentioned here recently, the peripheral rumor may have some merit.
  • Reply 148 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

PowerBook aside, there were rumors in August of iPod peripheral(s?) coming out soon. With the pervasive advertising of the iPod in Paris that has been mentioned here recently, the peripheral rumor may have some merit.

Seemingly so. The colred backgrounds of those ads make me wonder if a color screen is coming.

MSKR
  • Reply 149 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

2. Perhaps we will see a device that uses Inkwell ... hope it's not a tablet.

Man, the undercurrent of animosity that some people have towards ideas they don't like...

It's a bit like those who thought the Dock was a stupid idea and should never, ever be allowed on the screen of their precious Macintosh! (What happened to all those people anyway? I never saw any one of them later confess to being an idiot.)

I, for one, hope that the Apple skunkworks do indeed have a MacTablet under development, and I hope that the Inkwell APIs are evidence of it.

However, I don't think it's anywhere near ready for unveiling at this expo.
  • Reply 150 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

Man, the undercurrent of animosity that some people have towards ideas they don't like...

It's a bit like those who thought the Dock was a stupid idea and should never, ever be allowed on the screen of their precious Macintosh! (What happened to all those people anyway? I never saw any one of them later confess to being an idiot.)...

I guess I am one of those "idiots". I minimize the dock and hide it so that I rarely see it except when it intrudes on a window I'm trying to scroll. I keep a folder of aliases pointing to my applications and documents. I find this preferable for navigation.
  • Reply 151 of 278
    Quote:

I, for one, hope that the Apple skunkworks do indeed have a MacTablet under development, and I hope that the Inkwell APIs are evidence of it.

However, I don't think it's anywhere near ready for unveiling at this expo.

Animosity is too strong a word: I just think that tablets at present are really uninteresting. I haven't seen the windroids dancing in the streets about their new Toshpaq uber-tablets. But maybe I'm not looking down the right streets...

Given that Apple's resources are finite, this would seem to be a case of throwing good money after bad. That said, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!
  • Reply 152 of 278
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

It's a bit like those who thought the Dock was a stupid idea and should never, ever be allowed on the screen of their precious Macintosh! (What happened to all those people anyway? I never saw any one of them later confess to being an idiot.)

I confessed!

I hated the dock right up until I used it. Then I turned 180? immediately

Amorya
  • Reply 153 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I guess I am one of those "idiots". I minimize the dock and hide it so that I rarely see it except when it intrudes on a window I'm trying to scroll. I keep a folder of aliases pointing to my applications and documents. I find this preferable for navigation.

They live! The Dock-haters have survived!

I must apologize for the slur.

Now just admit you keep an old Mac OS 9 box in a rocking chair with a wig on it, and are ready to go at people with a knife if they come near...

• Reply 154 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

Animosity is too strong a word: I just think that tablets at present are really uninteresting. I haven't seen the windroids dancing in the streets about their new Toshpaq uber-tablets. But maybe I'm not looking down the right streets...

Nah, not many are buying them outside of vertical markets, and the Toshiba / HP / Fujitsu ones are quite uninspired.

However, those who have discovered tablets "done right" are very enthusiastic about them in the forums: Motion Computing's 12" Centrino-based tablet is one of the better designed ones and does seem genuinely well thought.

I think Apple could do a better job from both the hardware angle and software (for a start, Mac OS X is less keyboard/right-button dependant than Windows), and the concept could become killer, the iPod of MP3 players.

I agree about the stretched resources though, and think it will be a while before we see it.
  • Reply 155 of 278
    Most of the product introed at expos outside the U.S. have been upgrades and not completely new thingees. An aluminum 15" Powerbook is not a new product, just a major upgrade of one. iPods are not going to come in different colors. All the new ads show a white one. Using different background colors for the ads is simply Apple getting away from the previous look of their ads. A new look to all their product ads should happen across the board in the coming months I believe. It's been long overdue,
  • Reply 156 of 278
    Well the good news after I thought about it is that if the keynote starts at 4:00 AM EDT, and runs for awhile (like 90 mins). The Apple Store won't be likely back up during that time. This means around 5:30-6:00 for the store to return. That is just a little earlier than I get up. So it works out better than I had originally thought.
  • Reply 157 of 278
    And, oh by the way, don't you still think it's odd that we haven't even got a clue what the specs of the New PB's are going to be? Awfully secret.
  • Reply 158 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I hate setting the Dock to auto-hide, just like I can't stand using Windows with the taskbar set to auto-hide. Waiting for the Dock to pop up, and having it pop up when you're trying to scroll or click something in the Dock's neighborhood, are just too annoying. All I really want as a change is just a tiny bit more screen real estate on the 12" to accomodate the Dock.
  • Reply 159 of 278
    New adjustable displays (all widescreen) would be cool. Since seeing the fully adjustable iMac display, [/B][/QUOTE]

Are people talking about the iMac type adjustable display as the new style for monitors? It would be cool if they made the base much smaller (obviously) and kept the form factor for the widescreen 17", 20" and 30"!!
  • Reply 160 of 278
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't think we necessarily need to see the exact iMac thing (the base housing the iMac's "guts" gives it the weight needed to support the display.

But there HAS to be a way - without a big, ugly bulky bottom - for Apple to come up with a way to let their otherwise cool, gorgeous displays enjoy the same type of tilt, swivel and vertical movement as the iMac's display.

That is, hands down, the COOLEST thing about the G4 iMacs. I love that feature.