Picasso Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry for such a pointless thread but I was wondering if anyone has a good quality/hi-res picture of the apple picasso apple. I want it to be my desktop image but well they seem to be hard to find.

I mean the picasso computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    *cough* nothing?

could someone recreate one for me? puh-puh-puh-puhleeeeeeeez?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    You want this one, no?

• Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

You want this one, no?

Yes. haha I maybe should have supplied a picture. I am just looking for a good quality...hopefully high-res so I can use it as my background image.

...maybe make an illegal shirt or two
  • Reply 4 of 23
  • Reply 5 of 23
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    First off, did Picasso really draw that? Before he died?

I'm out of the loop, so I don't know.

Anyway, you know what would be cool? An update to the above, drawn in the same style, except using a modern iMac (either jellybean or the LCD model).

Anyone wanna give it a poke?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

First off, did Picasso really draw that? Before he died?

I'm out of the loop, so I don't know.

Anyway, you know what would be cool? An update to the above, drawn in the same style, except using a modern iMac (either jellybean or the LCD model).

THANKS...that will do very nicely!

As for picasso really drawing it...well I don't know, but I just thought that is what it was called haha. Guess I'm wrong?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    No, I've always heard it called that too. I'm not disputing that. I just didn't know if that was a nickname given to it (because of its style) OR because he actually drew it, back in the 80's.

He was still alive then, right?

SNL did a funny sketch once where Jon Lovitz played Picasso and he'd just scribble crap on a cafe napkin and it would sell for millions.

So maybe the old coot doodled this on his veranda (couldn't have taken more than 10-12 seconds, right?) and it somehow got picked up and made its way to Apple? Or Apple bought it for 17 gazillion dollars?

• Reply 8 of 23
    Honestly, people. Picasso died in 1973. Visionary though he was, I don't think he anticipated the Macintosh.

The original Macintosh packaging was done under the direction of Clement Mok, who was an in-house designer for Apple at the time and the art director for the Macintosh project. I THINK the illustration was done by a guy named John Casado. I'm not at home so my copy of "Apple Design" is not handy.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Okay, thanks Bruno. I didn't know when the mother%#$@%@# died. Sorry. Should've paid a bit more attention in that Art History class...

If I'd known he died in '73, I never would've asked.

I do know Mok, though.

http://www.clementmok.com

There's a section in there about his time at Apple and, yes, it appears a John Casado did the illustration.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

There's a section in there about his time at Apple and, yes, it appears a John Casado did the illustration.

Another popular misconception is that Mok himself did the Picasso Mac illustration. He DID do a lot of collateral illustrations in that style, like the one for the carrying case, but the original was done by John Casada.

I was just starting work as a publication designer in 1984 as the Macintosh identity stuff was coming out, and it was very influential. The whole clean, elegant feel of it was a real change from what other high-tech companies were doing.

Unsurprisingly, it was all at the behest of Steve, who insisted that every design detail add to the experience.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I have that original poster, my dad used to work at Dartmouth. It kicks ass. No I'll never sell it. have the tshirt too that was in the 1984 commercial.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates Anyway, you know what would be cool? An update to the above, drawn in the same style, except using a modern iMac (either jellybean or the LCD model).

Well, I poked away!

Rough and tumble, but you get the idea.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    nice!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Well, I poked away!

Rough and tumble, but you get the idea.

Now add some more color and give me a link to a high quality one
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

SNL did a funny sketch once where Jon Lovitz played Picasso and he'd just scribble crap on a cafe napkin and it would sell for millions.

when delivery people would deliver canvas or paint supplies or whatever instead of a tip picasso would sketch something for them on a scrap or a bit of paper.

"drink to me, drink to my health, you know i can't drink anymore"

not picasso's last words, but a nice epitaph.

his actual last words were:

"and now i must get back to work"
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x Now add some more color and give me a link to a high quality one

Is there a "please" in there anywhere?

Seriously though, it's supposed to be blue and silver. I was just going with where Apple seems to be these days (white, blue, silver). ALTHOUGH, I should've used a jellybean iMac because then it would've been fun - and easy - to add color...lots of 'em: tangerine, blueberry, grape, Ruby, etc.

And it's a small, one-off doodle (hey, I'm channeling Pablo!)...I saved it as a gif and trashed the Illustrator file. Like an idiot.

Sorry...I just did it for a quick giggle and didn't think to keep it.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Is there a "please" in there anywhere?

Seriously though, it's supposed to be blue and silver. I was just going with where Apple seems to be these days (white, blue, silver). ALTHOUGH, I should've used a jellybean iMac because then it would've been fun - and easy - to add color...lots of 'em: tangerine, blueberry, grape, Ruby, etc.

And it's a small, one-off doodle (hey, I'm channeling Pablo!)...I saved it as a gif and trashed the Illustrator file. Like an idiot.

Sorry...I just did it for a quick giggle and didn't think to keep it.

Haha It's fine...could you PLEASE do a PB 15" for me? I have the high quality PR photos of it as my background and thought it would be nice to have a pic like that in there to change it up.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ... just posted on ebay the graphic concept that was immediately *before* picasso mac, but was ultimately killed ... no one's ever really talked much about it before ... something intellectually stimulating here for the most hardened, i'm sure:

http://bit.ly/9dWdLi
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kickboyface View Post

... just posted on ebay the graphic concept that was immediately *before* picasso mac, but was ultimately killed ... no one's ever really talked much about it before ... something intellectually stimulating here for the most hardened, i'm sure:

http://bit.ly/9dWdLi

"Graphic concept"...?

Looks more like a doodle from next door's 5 year old!