how do I control my powerbook with the lid closed?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here's what I want to do:

I want to connect my powerbook 12" to my Aux-In on my car radio. I've allready done this, but I had to keep the powerbook on the right seat to be able to control it.

I want my powerbook to be stored in a secure place while I'm driving, so it would be cool if I could close the lid and control itunes through my ericson and romeo.

Is there a way to turn off the sleep function and keep bluetooth working with the lid closed (without having to connect keyboards etc.))?

Is there some other form of remote-control for a powerbook?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I want to connect my powerbook 12" to my Aux-In on my car radio. I've allready done this, but I had to keep the powerbook on the right seat to be able to control it.

I want my powerbook to be stored in a secure place while I'm driving, so it would be cool if I could close the lid and control itunes through my ericson and romeo.

Is there a way to turn off the sleep function and keep bluetooth working with the lid closed (without having to connect keyboards etc.))?

thanks

with my old pismo powerbook (which i am using now), one of the big selling points was the ability to operate with the lid closed. however, pulling this off was kind of hokey (and this is not a trick or hack... for my powerbook, it was the recommended way to use it with the lid closed):

find something with a power button on it, like an old apple usb keyboard. plug, the keyboard into the laptop, and press the power button. the laptop will now run with the lid closed.

that might or might not help you, but figured i would chime in...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    That's a good question, future-ex. You may want to look at what people have posted around the Internet about "clamshell" mode. I think perhaps that connecting a DVI (or does the 12" only have VGA?) cable is what needs to be done. I wouldn't think it actually needs a display to be connected on the other end, but it may require one. Oh, and it makes sense to have a keyboard connected too, so that you can actually wake the machine.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Well, you don't HAVE to have anything connected... but you have to be able to wake it up.

If you're very quick, you can wake it then shut the lid before it's finished waking. But in the days of OSX and instant wake, that's hard.

I'd just keep a USB mouse around. Plug in mouse, click once. Powerbook is now awake.

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I'd just keep a USB mouse around. Plug in mouse, click once. Powerbook is now awake.

Thanks, but the powerbook goes to sleep again after 2 seconds or so, even if itunes is playing music.

I was looking at this remote-control ,too. Has anybody used it?

Is there something similar just with USB, without IrDA? This should then be able to control and wake the powerbook, and the remote control could be mounted anywere in a car.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    At least it doesn't seem to have heat-issues:

apple-support
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I've found a way!!!

1.) Connect your USB-mouse

2.) Put your Powerbook 12" to sleep

3.) Connect the TV adapter

4.) click the mouse to wake the powerbook

Now the powerbook is assuming it displays the video to your TV, even if only the adapter is connected.

Is there anyone around who could test if Bluetooth is still working to control itunes in this mode?

Could this do any harm to the powerbook?

Does anybody know if the powerbook is displaying something while it is closed? mine doesn't seem to, but you never know :-).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    you can attach a paperclip to right bezel of the screen. it'll stick there thru magnetical power. you'll be able to close the lid, without having the book falling asleep.

have fun.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

thanks

GET AN IPOD!!!! Your welcome.8)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have an idea! Aluminum Duodock!