Paris Expo 2003

Comments

• Reply 161 of 278
    MacRumors chimes in with their sources implying that it's almost a certainty that we'll see new PBs on Tuesday.
  • Reply 162 of 278
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    as far as a new iMac design, try minimalist

you can integrate a notebook sized hd, and a combo drive vertically all in the display housing on a simple or chrome stand

or

where the display detaches has airport extreme and could be used as a remote tablet, helpful especially for connecting to the digital hub, stereo, and tivo type device, it would be a combo laptop and desktop. the detachable display could also work to extend the range of the ABS

expo will have some surprises it's part of steve's personallity, and apple seems to have the only "excitement" building events around, i don't remember anything like this anticipation for PC or windows
  • Reply 163 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

MacRumors chimes in with their sources implying that it's almost a certainty that we'll see new PBs on Tuesday.

I hope that $2999 Powerbook is the 17". That would break the psychological barrier of $3000, and would also mean a top of the line 15" probably would be set at the current price point, maybe just a little more. I'm sure if the 12" is $1999, it would most likely have FW800, Backlit keyboard, and maybe even DVI out.
  • Reply 164 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

I'm sure if the 12" is $1999, it would most likely have FW800, Backlit keyboard, and maybe even DVI out.

or that it has a g5
  • Reply 165 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

or that it has a g5

If only...I've got my finger on the "Buy with 1-click" button if there is a G5 in there, I am much more hesitant if it's a G4. Who knows, I'm dying for a G5 though.
  • Reply 166 of 278
    Well...it's not THAT much of a stretch.

I mean $1599 - $1999 is a big price jump....what other (g5) based products made a comparable price jump from their predecessors?

the g4!

I mean, sure it could be the wow features, but $1999 is damn expensive for a 12" unless its got meat.

am I desperately waiting to upgrade my computer to a pbook, so much so it clouds my vision with delusions of grandieur? yes...does that change my point....well...maybe

I don't know, but if $1999 is true, I'd say either g5s @1.0-1.4 Ghz or there are (seriously)updated iBooks to compliment these pbooks.
  • Reply 167 of 278
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Pardon me, but WTF?!?!?!

Shouldn't prices be going the OTHER way?

Yes, a $400 jump IS a big deal...and IMO, the ONLY thing that can even approach justifying that is that the PowerBooks have indeed gone to the G5 (hell, even then that's asking a lot).

Although, on a positive note, it appears the ceiling might be $2999, which I've longed hoped for (breaking that whole $3000 barrier and all).

Jeez-louise...I'll NEVER get a PowerBook because right when I get the money, I go and buy a friend an iBook, or Apple ups their prices! DAMN!

A consoling little tidbit: these rumor goons have been wrong about EVERY OTHER ASPECT OF THE POWERBOOK FOR THREE MONTHS NOW, so why would we be inclined to believe they suddenly have some sort of clear insight and accurate info on the pricing structure OF SHIT THEY'VE BEEN COMPLETELY CLUELESS AND WRONG ABOUT SO FAR?

I ain't believing it. We'll see.

And yes...if the cheapest PowerBook ends up being $1999 (sigh...), then the iBooks damn well better be getting some bodacious updates in the coming weeks/months.

• Reply 168 of 278
    I love reading your posts paul, the way you interject emoticons inbetween different passages, it's like an emoticon party, and everyone's invited.

I agree with your last post as well, it is a major bummer if these pricepoints are correct, but certainly the only thing that would warrant it would be a g5, and that's not a bummer.

but...maybe I'll be getting an iBook after all
  • Reply 169 of 278
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I just hope that whatever the upgrades may be that it isn't a 6-week wait to get one, otherwise I'm grabbing a refurb 17", can't wait past this week.
  • Reply 170 of 278
    The BIG question: will they be serving Krispy Kreme doughnuts?
  • Reply 171 of 278
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The BIG question: will they be serving Krispy Kreme doughnuts?

More likely Croissants with cheese to go with the whines...
  • Reply 172 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust I love reading your posts paul, the way you interject emoticons inbetween different passages, it's like an emoticon party, and everyone's invited.

You being a wise guy?

(note lack of emoticon)
  • Reply 173 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

And yes...if the cheapest PowerBook ends up being $1999 (sigh...), then the iBooks damn well better be getting some bodacious updates in the coming weeks/months.

The $1,999 model will be the low-end 15. Even *I* don't believe Apple would boost the price of the 12 by $400.

Unless they feel that it is cannibalizing iBooks sales too much at its current price point...
  • Reply 174 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You being a wise guy?

(note lack of emoticon)

• Reply 175 of 278
    I was KIDDING! Relax (see?)
  • Reply 176 of 278
    I'd have to agree with the earlier poster that $1999 means no new 12" PowerBooks (assuming MacRumors is correct, of course). I don't think they'd bump the price $400, even with the options everyone wants.

I'm sure pscates will be unhappy if this is so.
  • Reply 177 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin The $1,999 model will be the low-end 15.

Yeah, but the rumors say "three models, ranging from...". Are they dropping the 12"?

No, I doubt it.

Again, just a rumor so I can't get TOO torqued up.

Is it Tuesday yet?
  • Reply 178 of 278
    It could be the that the 1999-2999 PowerBooks are indeed the two 15-inch models along with the 17-inch model; models shipping immediately. Whereas, the new 12-inch will be announced but shipping later. That could be w/i the realm of possibility.
  • Reply 179 of 278
    G5, don't worry guys!

• Reply 180 of 278
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

It could be the that the 1999-2999 PowerBooks are indeed the two 15-inch models along with the 17-inch model; models shipping immediately. Whereas, the new 12-inch will be announced but shipping later. That could be w/i the realm of possibility.

Right on. 15" combo for $1999, 15" w/SD for $2499 ($100 price drop), 17" SD for $2999 ($300 drop), IMO. All at 1.25 GHz G4. Maybe 1.3+ for the 17 but I'm not sure.

The really important stuff will be the specs of all the other features. About 36 hrs. to go?