Paris Expo 2003

Comments

• Reply 181 of 278
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Just so I'm TOTALLY clear on this (sorry to be a dumb-butt), this keynote thing is happening at 4am EST TUESDAY morning, right? Basically, I'll to bed tomorrow night (Monday) and wake up Tuesday to go to work and the keynote will have already taken place, right?

Just want to make sure...
  • Reply 182 of 278
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Right on. 15" combo for $1999, 15" w/SD for $2499 ($100 price drop), 17" SD for $2999 ($300 drop), IMO. All at 1.25 GHz G4. Maybe 1.3+ for the 17 but I'm not sure.

A spanking new aluminum 15" Combo 1.25 Ghz for $1999 sounds like a reasonable offering. A 383 mhz jump, perhaps Firewire 800, lighted keyboard all at the same price as the current low-end 15" model.
  • Reply 183 of 278
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Just so I'm TOTALLY clear on this (sorry to be a dumb-butt), this keynote thing is happening at 4am EST TUESDAY morning, right? Basically, I'll to bed tomorrow night (Monday) and wake up Tuesday to go to work and the keynote will have already taken place, right?

Just want to make sure...

Yep. Yours truly will have been watching it live!
  • Reply 184 of 278
    I tried to download the current data sheet PDF's for the 12, 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks. After download, the files are blank! Confirmation of new Books at Paris?
  • Reply 185 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Yep. Yours truly will have been watching it live!

This Belgian will also be there, kind of excited. It's me first.

Only fear is that it will be as boring as the last one (paris keynote). Saw the stream a few weeks back of 2002 and almost fell a sleep.
  • Reply 186 of 278
    The keynote is mostly going to be a rehash of the WWDC one SJ made. However, the possibilty of new Powerbooks should make it interesting as well as a more definiate time line on Panther (perhaps). Enjoy.
  • Reply 187 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

A spanking new aluminum 15" Combo 1.25 Ghz for $1999 sounds like a reasonable offering. A 383 mhz jump, perhaps Firewire 800, lighted keyboard all at the same price as the current low-end 15" model.

How about:

12-inch

1.25 GHz G4 7457

15-inch

1.25 GHz G4 7547 - $1999

1.4 GHz G4 7457 - $2,499

17-inch

1.4 GHz G4 7457 - $2,999
  • Reply 188 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

1.4 GHz G4 7457 - $2,499

Where do I sign?
  • Reply 189 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I tried to download the current data sheet PDF's for the 12, 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks. After download, the files are blank! Confirmation of new Books at Paris?

They will magically show the text after the keynote Tuesday.

Kind of like modern invisible ink. What? You didn't read that option in the PDF Userman?
  • Reply 190 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'd think they'd "keep" the lower-priced 15" at 1GHz. The lower-priced model gets the hand-me-down previous fastest chip.
  • Reply 191 of 278
    Quote:

Yeah, but the rumors say "three models, ranging from...". Are they dropping the 12"?

There are two models of the current 15, and there's no reason to expect that Apple would change that and go SuperDrive only. The market for laptops this size is too broad for Apple to limit their sales that way.

It may be as simple as the prices of the 12 weren't leaked.
  • Reply 192 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I'd think they'd "keep" the lower-priced 15" at 1GHz. The lower-priced model gets the hand-me-down previous fastest chip.

It depends on the speed of the top model. If Apple does indeed have chips in the 1.4GHz neighborhood, they would not want a 40 percent difference in speeds. If the top chip is 1.25 or even 1.3, then yes, we'd probably see the low-end model go to 1GHz.

FYI, the Ti went from 400/500 to 550/667, so it isn't always a case of making the top model the entry model.

I've got to keep my expectations down and remind myself that I'll be happy with 1.25GHz on a 167MHz bus. Really, I would! But what I really WANT is 1.4GHz on 200...
  • Reply 193 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

But what I really WANT is 1.4GHz on 200

Yeah, I'd take that too! Plus the ATi Radeon 9600 at 128 MB Graphics memory, 80 GB HD (or a faster RPM 60 GB). Bring it on!
  • Reply 194 of 278
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

They live! The Dock-haters have survived!

I don't like The Dock very much either and I think it should be an option in Mac OS X. But seeing the leaked screenshots of Windows Longhorn and that horrible Siderbar (with the bloated clock which serves no purpose since time in numbers is displayed right underneath it), I for one am willing to accept The Dock despite its flaws. What are those people in Redmond thinking??
  • Reply 195 of 278
    BTW, is anyone kinda keeping an eye on Apple's site to see if someone drops the ball again and "accidentally" posts any new PowerBook specs?

Just asking...

That would be funny. Not necessarily "haha" funny for Steve but it would supply all of us with HOURS of giggles.

• Reply 196 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE What are those people in Redmond thinking??

I think you might have hit on the answer without realizing: it seems to be they AREN'T.
  • Reply 197 of 278
    Quote:

BTW, is anyone kinda keeping an eye on Apple's site to see if someone drops the ball again and "accidentally" posts any new PowerBook specs?

Just asking...

That would be funny. Not necessarily "haha" funny for Steve but it would supply all of us with HOURS of giggles.

It would certainly make the mac cult that much more of a cult.

if apple started regularly "leaking" specs, but they were hidden somewhere on their webpage, that's like a mac-fanboys wet dream
  • Reply 198 of 278
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Seems to me if Apple was going to release a 1GHz 15" aluminum PowerBook AT ALL, they'd have done it many months ago.
  • Reply 199 of 278
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    It appears time, for Microsoft, is everything. This screenshot of Longhorn has no less than three places where the current time is displayed. They are marked in red. Also note how the Taskbar displays the running application not to the left, like Windows users are used to, but in the center. I assume this means it changes its position along the x-axis for every newly opened window or application. I wonder what Tog would have to say about that little "feature"...

Longhorn concept UI
  • Reply 200 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Seems to me if Apple was going to release a 1GHz 15" aluminum PowerBook AT ALL, they'd have done it many months ago.

I agree. Perhaps the starting point will be the G4 @ 1.25 GHz. Or maybe it will start at 1.1 GHz for the low-end, 1.3 for the high-end. Hope springs eternal!