iPod for digital video storage?

saksak
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the iPod hard drives getting bigger and bigger. Would they be a suitable choice for storing digital video? I want to get an iPod but I am not sure what size. If I can store some of my digital video on an iPod then I would buck-up for a 40 gig. Thoughts? Opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    i wouldn't, the iPods drive isn't made to take that kind of constant use, music doesnt strain it as much as DV would.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    get an external 120gig HD... cheaper
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Digital Hub?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

i wouldn't, the iPods drive isn't made to take that kind of constant use, music doesnt strain it as much as DV would.

Why do you say that? It's a general-purpose drive packaged in a music player, not something custom-made for the application...

-- Mark
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

Why do you say that? It's a general-purpose drive packaged in a music player, not something custom-made for the application...

Actually, I think the Toshiba HDs found in the iPod are expected to last 2 or 3 times shorter than standard IDE drives (20 000 hours or something).

For music, this ain't too bad, because the iPod will not use the drive continuously (the drive will spin once every 20 minutes or so and the data will be stored in the buffer in the meantime). But using it for DV will strain the drive a lot more, which could lead to a quick death of the device.

I also read somewhere that the drive will get the iPod really hot if you use it continuously over an extended period of time.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Even if what you say is true, 20,000 is still 3 1/2 solid, 24-hour-a-day years of use.

-- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The toshiba site lists their 1.8 drives as 300,000 hours, just like the rest.

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pat...00659c000003b7

If you want to use it for storage, they are certainly designed to let you do so. However, perhaps a more interesting way to go about might be to buy a big new drive for your powerbook or ibook and take the old one and throw it in a firewire case.

However, if want you want to transport is <20GB, the ipod may indeed be a good idea. The ipod might get filled with music faster than you expect.