Mac Magazines

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So what are the Mac Magazines you guys, in the US, subscribe to? I recently did not renew my subscription to MacDirectory and am looking for an alternative. Who is the best out there MacAddict or MacWorld, any others? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

So what are the Mac Magazines you guys, in the US, subscribe to? I recently did not renew my subscription to MacDirectory and am looking for an alternative. Who is the best out there MacAddict or MacWorld, any others? Thanks!

____

IMHO, I gave up on macworld a long time ago. I used to subscribe to MacHome Journal, but it was too basic and geared toward the noepyhte home user too much (good mag for some, too boring for me)

I now subscribe (last time I renewed for two years) to MacAddict

I used to think MacAddict was too immature. However, having just left the military at the time, maybe I was too uptight.

I think MA is the best Mac magazine out there right now.

Anyone else care to comment

Doug
  • Reply 2 of 15
    i used to get all of them, but if you hang around here you won't have a need for them, everything will be old news.

i think all my subs have lapsed except macaddict,

machome went through an ownership change and was really pathetic last time i checked.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i used to get all of them, but if you hang around here you won't have a need for them, everything will be old news.

i think all my subs have lapsed except macaddict,

machome went through an ownership change and was really pathetic last time i checked.

______

I agree with everything in your post. However, its kind of nice to read through a mag while I'm trying to fall asleep. Reading makes me drowsy.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    right now, best of class is mac design. great tutorials, mac-biased and unashamed like macaddict used to be, a great look and design, an innovative design challenge section, etc.

scott kelby is a bit full of himself, but otherwise, great, great mag. pity it is bi-monthly.

worst: mac directory. i used to love them, but we used to have a "count the typos in macdirectory" contest (note: there is an ad in the back where they have misspelled THEIR OWN NAME for the past year plus. i might have considered telling them, but now i just find it hilarious, like the time they misspelled "Wisconsin" in their directory). plus, inane fashion photography, dated tech news, a drag queen "ask us" technical help section (seriously)... it just goes on and on. the only good thing is that it incredibly cheap for the production values of cool die-cuts and thick glossy pages.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I currently get Macworld because it was a Christmas gift subscription. But I don't think I'll be renewing.

The Internet just makes so much of that stuff seem like old news by the time you get it. I learn all I want/need via maccentral.com and about a gazillion other sites...the day it happens!

If Macworld and other American mags were as crammed full with cool, LONG reviews, articles and extensive "how-to" tutorials and kick-ass photography and infographics as all those nice, large UK ones, it would be different.

But they're not, so...

I get Macworld every month and I can honestly sit and read it - cover to cover, every single word - in less than an hour. And that's reading EVERYTHING, even crap that has no appeal or impact on me whatsoever (Excel or Powerpoint stuff, digital video tips or "How to Make Your Mac Your Home's Burglar Alarm" silliness).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    MacAddict is a nice and funny magazine. However, it is usually very over-optimistic of Apple products. Reading the magazine sometimes give u the impression that the editors are hired from Apple.

But still, it is rather informative and interesting. But dun believe all u have read.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I get Macworld and MacAddict now, but I won't be renewing either subscription.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    macaddict could help its cause by offering a cd-less subscription, to allow them to cut some cost off.

i mean, it used to be cool to get the cd full of stuff when 56k was fast for internet access and getting a 54 mb demo was annoying as hell. but these days, if you have broadband, you don't really need those cd's anymore. i haven't stuck one in a machine of mine in over a year.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I like Mac Design myself, the others are just okay, Mac Design makes them seem really bad IMO...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by matcho

______

I agree with everything in your post. However, its kind of nice to read through a mag while I'm trying to fall asleep. Reading makes me drowsy.

oh i agree completely, i love them on the train. (national geographic is good on trains too.) it forces me to read stuff i have absolutely no interest in, and wouldn't read otherwise.

i just don't get all hyped up when they come in the mail, except when the new powerbooks came out and three months after the fact machome still hadn't gotten wind of them. i was so hyped i cancelled my subscription and called them many bad names.

i'm a book at bedtime kind of guy.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

macaddict could help its cause by offering a cd-less subscription, to allow them to cut some cost off.

i mean, it used to be cool to get the cd full of stuff when 56k was fast for internet access and getting a 54 mb demo was annoying as hell. but these days, if you have broadband, you don't really need those cd's anymore. i haven't stuck one in a machine of mine in over a year.

Yeah, I picked up the UK version of MacAddict at The Coop in Cambridge last summer and the CD had nothing I wanted to install. There was a trial verion of Studio MX, IE, Opera, and some shareware apps and games. Otherwise, the magazine was great, that was the UK version however.

Quote:

Originally posted by rok

worst: mac directory. i used to love them, but we used to have a "count the typos in macdirectory" contest (note: there is an ad in the back where they have misspelled THEIR OWN NAME for the past year plus. i might have considered telling them, but now i just find it hilarious, like the time they misspelled "Wisconsin" in their directory). plus, inane fashion photography, dated tech news, a drag queen "ask us" technical help section (seriously)... it just goes on and on. the only good thing is that it incredibly cheap for the production values of cool die-cuts and thick glossy pages.

MacDirectory was horrible. They never got my subscription sent on time, because I was screwed up in the system from the beginning. Also, the magazine is overpriced for only four issues and half of it is the stupid Mac telephone book and Mac Warehouse type advertisements.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    If MacFormat and MacWorld UK weren't $12 per issue in the US, they would put the US publications out to pasture. MacDesign is the best one, but I do like to look at reviews and tips for indie apps, shareware, etc. -- stuff that isn't necessarily the mainstream Adobe/Macromedia/expensive range.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    While MacWorld has kind of gone downhill since it's early days (way too many ads), it still provides a great introduction to new technologies within the Mac...world.

It does educate me in stuff like wireless networking, fonts, OSX basics, etc. Not really in depth coverage, but enough information of what one needs to consider when picking up new hardware like a router.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't bother with the magazines really, because a lot of it is old news by the time I get the magazine. And the hints and cool tricks and stuff I usually pick up on here or at sites like macosxhints.com.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I like Mac Design myself, the others are just okay, Mac Design makes them seem really bad IMO...

______

I've read that one a few times. Being that I'm a graphic design student I will probably subscribe. Right now I'm just in my first year and we do nothing but press work for the first year. Next year we do design and we get to play with macs and the software. Hopefully have G5s by then.