Comments

• Reply 221 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

i just made this one

http://www.fanta.dk/showmovie.asp?mi...F-943AF0A52823

• Reply 222 of 278
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    The dock shouldn't go away, it just needs to be made more versatile, with alternative options.

If I can customize the toolbar in Finder windows to show words instead of icons, I should be able to do that with the dock too.

Someone should really make a separate thread. Not me, though.
  • Reply 223 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I always thought the dock should be in the keyboard.

I had an ancient computer once that ran DOS with some graphical shell that wasn't Windows (it was called Activity or something). It had an LCD display in the keyboard, above a row of 8 keys. The keys also had lights in.

It used the keys for various things like copy and paste, and also for jumping between programs. It used the little red light in each key to show the active one, and the display above the keys showed the names.

Amorya

Yeah!

I had one of those too!

Here's a picture!!!!

• Reply 224 of 278
    I'll jump into the fray and put my money (or extreme lack thereof) against any G5 powerbook this year. They gotta be doing *something* with Motorola chips, or else the powerbook upgrade would have already happened.
  • Reply 225 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Yeah!

I had one of those too!

Here's a picture!!!!

Amorya's claim that the dock should be in the keyboard is one of the dumber things I've seen posted on these boards.
  • Reply 226 of 278
    I can't wait to burn some bucks on the new '' well whatever for G3 iPods @ Paris!!!

Because I can't wait, could anybody care to come-up with 'plausible' companions for iPod??

---

Iam from earth. The middle earth. The apple middle earth.
  • Reply 227 of 278
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

It appears time, for Microsoft, is everything. This screenshot of Longhorn has no less than three places where the current time is displayed. They are marked in red. Also note how the Taskbar displays the running application not to the left, like Windows users are used to, but in the center. I assume this means it changes its position along the x-axis for every newly opened window or application. I wonder what Tog would have to say about that little "feature"...

Longhorn concept UI

Yes, Longhorn is looking sad, which demonstrates to me that little has changed on the Windows UI team: they continue to suffer from lack of vision. Nothing forward-thinking has emerged from that group since Steve Capps' skunkworks.

These screenshots demonstrate a typical approach at MS: throw some random ideas against the wall (and widgets onto the screen) just to see what sticks.

I predict Microsoft will ship that silly clock, if only because it's eye candy that some marketing wonk will argue helps to sell boxes at Circuit City.

• Reply 228 of 278
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    What do you think the special Paris Expo iPod will be?

An aprox. 100$ price raise is a lot (check Thinksecret)
  • Reply 229 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

What do you think the special Paris Expo iPod will be?

An aprox. 100$ price raise is a lot (check Thinksecret)

Dedicated thread here.
  • Reply 230 of 278
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is anyone broadcasting the expo or giving a website play-by-play?
  • Reply 231 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is anyone broadcasting the expo or giving a website play-by-play?

I don't think we'll be allowed to bring in our Powerbooks?
    Quote:

We look forward to seeing you in Paris on Tuesday 16 September at the Palais des Congrès, for the Keynote speech by Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. Please note that, for safety reasons, you will be asked to leave your bags in the cloakroom. We would therefore suggest, for your convenience, that you leave non essential personal effects at home.

Even if we did, there's probably no WiFi there...
  • Reply 232 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by philby

I don't think we'll be allowed to bring in our Powerbooks?

Even if we did, there's probably no WiFi there...

I don't think they'd ban your computer (would they?). Previous Expos and meetings at least haven't discouraged them. And they may even have a wifi network. It would at least be worth a try, I would think.
  • Reply 233 of 278
    There is Wi Fi at the Palais des Congress where the keynote is being held . I looked on their website and it isnt free unless the event sponsor choses to pay a fee for it to be free during the event. Otherwise it is something insane like 6 euros for 30 minutes. I had planned to take my computer but probably will not based on the security procedures.
  • Reply 234 of 278
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    With the Paris Expo just hours away, I really hope we're not setting ourselves for a major let down.

Despite all the rumour sites, there is a possibility that no Powerbook announcement will even be made.

Who knows, it could just be a Panther update, iPod accessories, new displays, new wireless keyboard/mouse and iTunes for PC.

I hope not, but remember, we've been disappointed before.\
  • Reply 235 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Who knows, it could just be a Panther update, iPod accessories, new displays, new wireless keyboard/mouse and iTunes for PC.

i would be happy whith that....but thats just me

I want new displays but i don't think its gonna happen, they would have done it along with the g5 intro. Just think of all the people that bought 1.6's and 1.8's with displays already, it would suck for them.
  • Reply 236 of 278
    Without a webcast I dont see new PBs being introduced. They will want to get maximum exposure when that happens.
  • Reply 237 of 278
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

That's actually quite a list. It could be much less than that, worse case scenario.\
  • Reply 238 of 278
    so the woman at work that ordered her 12"pb 3 weeks ago (they have been stringing her along week to week, it was supposed to be in 3 times already but none showed up at macconection) just got word today from macconnection that they didn't come in and they will have them on wednesday hmmmm
  • Reply 239 of 278
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Amorya's claim that the dock should be in the keyboard is one of the dumber things I've seen posted on these boards.

Why? I reckon it'd be dead useful. Stops the thing taking up space at the bottom of your screen, but it's still always accessible without having to click anywhere

USB easily has the bandwidth, too.

Amorya
  • Reply 240 of 278
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Yeah!

I had one of those too!

Here's a picture!!!!

:P

I meant more like this:

Amorya