Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After probably 8-1/2 months of endless speculation on the 15-inch PowerBook, probably 3+ months on the other two PowerBooks (mostly features of the Rev. B 12-inch), rumors of low-powered G5s, supposed delays of 7547s, etc., we may actually seem some closure to all of this by this time tomorrow (WAHOO!).

That said, who is buying whatever is announced? What are you buying? The 12-inch? The 15-inch? The 17-inch? Nothing? iPod?

Myself, I plan on purchasing a 15-inch PB with an 80 GB HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 336
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    I'm buying anything that is 15 inch, aluminum and has an apple on it. But then again, I'm not paying for it myself. hohehehe. Lucky me.

I will also buy it in standard-config to get it as fast as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 336
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

That said, who is buying whatever is announced? What are you buying? The 12-inch? The 15-inch? The 17-inch? Nothing? iPod?

Depends what is in store. If it is a G5-based book, I will quite likely buy the 15" base config. If only the 17" goes G5 or they stick with 7457, I will pass this time and wait till early summer to replace my Ti400.

At any rate, I am not going to buy unless Panther is bundled - if it means waiting another 2 month, so be it.

And because of market pressures, I'll have to buy a Dell or Acer in the next two weeks - my clients are completely Windows-oriented and it's getting worse.
  • Reply 3 of 336
    12''
  • Reply 4 of 336
  • Reply 5 of 336
    15" all the way baby!!!!!

Man, I sold my 800 TiBook in April. And I've been h..a..n..g..i..n...g. around for the aluminium. grrrrr

Hopefully the new ones will have all the trimmings that everyones been calling for but also a 2x SD.

I am just shaking with anticipation for tomorrow. My poor girlfriend Kathy is going nuts with me talking about the bloody thing as if we're expecting puppies or something!!!!

This can only happen to Mac users....seriously. Where in the world would you get a Dell user going..."Man, I can't wait for the new slab laptops to come out".

I'll be literally glued to the computer screen after I get home from work tomorrow.

Come on Stevie baby, don't let us down. We've been waiting too long for this announcement!

• Reply 6 of 336
    If Jobs & Co does a Houdini and fits a G5 into 12" or 15", I'm a buyer. In fact, I'll probably buy 2
  • Reply 7 of 336
    12" or 15" + iPod

yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 336
    15" inch for me, probably a base model to get it faster - I finally convinced my boss that I would be better off with a Mac than a PC laptop and then had to wait, and wait, and wait... :-)
  • Reply 9 of 336
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    15" for me. It really doesn't matter what the update is, as long as its an update, i've been at school with my 333 iMac for 3 weeks now and i need more power for my multimedia classes.
  • Reply 10 of 336
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    12", assuming it gets updated.

Unless the 15" gets a G5 and the 12" doesn't. But I reckon they'll all stay G4 anyway.

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 336
    15" Al, assuming the do get updated tomorrow. Got to get it before too much of the semester goes past. Here's to hoping it kicks some butt!!
  • Reply 12 of 336
    There's still life in my Rev. A 500TiBook so I'm holding out until either the PowerBook gets a G5 or the dual 2GHz PowerMac drops a notch or two.

Basically, I'm living with what I've got until a G5 becomes (much) more affordable.
  • Reply 13 of 336
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Here is what I want:

Powerbook G4 1 GHz w/ 12" screen

- Superdrive

- 40 GB HD

- 256 MB ram (Apple would never put more)

- USB 2.0

- Firewire 400

- Bluetooth

- DVI

- Lighted keyboard

It HAS to have a DVI port. Want to use it with my 20" Cinema. The lighted keyboard would be real nice too.

But Apple probably won't do it.

Yeah, 15" users need to hook up to a Cinema display more than 12" users do.

Apple has some unusual reasoning sometimes.

Just because it is smaller, does that mean they have to cripple it?
  • Reply 14 of 336
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes no DVI port was retarded. However it looks like there's barely room for it! but I'm sure it could fit and I hope and think they will add it. 12" maxed out PB + 23" cinema display...mmm...
  • Reply 15 of 336
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I might buy one...
  • Reply 16 of 336
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I might buy one...

Nah.. no way, really?
  • Reply 17 of 336
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    A DVI port just makes the machine just that much more useful IMO.

I think it would make the 12" that much more popular.

It gives you the nice small form factor for the road but then you can hook it up to a nice honkin display at home.

But I guess Apple wants you to pay $600.00 more for the privledge.
  • Reply 18 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

15" for me. It really doesn't matter what the update is, as long as its an update, i've been at school with my 333 iMac for 3 weeks now and i need more power for my multimedia classes.

I always wondered what that "multimedia class"-thing is? Is it still around? "Multimedia"... feels so ninetinish.
  • Reply 19 of 336
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    checked my bank account and it says: not now, loser.

checked my creditcard, it says: buy and bleed.

so: no

otherwise: 15 incher Al
  • Reply 20 of 336
    hi all,

i am a new member to appleinsider. i have not yet actually made the switch to apple, i am still stuck on winblows . i have been eagerly awaiting my chance to get a powerbook, and it seems i have picked a good time to start working on it. if steve does announce a new powerbook line, i would probably get the 15" config maxed out. i am really looking forward to the new powerbook.

later