Visual Basic 6.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but I don't know the answer and I need to know so I'm asking anyway. I know that VB will not run on anything other than a windows platform, but I was just curious if maybe through virtual PC I could get it to work. Keep in mind I also know nothing about Virtual PC.

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but I don't know the answer and I need to know so I'm asking anyway. I know that VB will not run on anything other than a windows platform, but I was just curious if maybe through virtual PC I could get it to work. Keep in mind I also know nothing about Virtual PC.

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Not quite right.

First off, there is nothing magic about Visual Basic. It is a Windows application like Word, Excel, or Access. Visual Basic runs just fine under VPC or any other Windows-compatible emulator.

Visual Basic is Windows-only, sort of. Visual Basic for Applications is a part of M$ Office v.X for the Mac. It has been a part of the Mac version of Office since Office 98.

Even though M$ does not produce a standalone version of VB for the Mac, M$ does support a third-party development environment that is compatible with Visual Basic. REALbasic can generate VB-compatible applications for the Mac, Windows, and Java. It is available here.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    VB 5 is better than 6 anyway. 6 on 98 made Office stop working. I love how a Microshit product on a Microshit 98 makes Microshit Office stop ****ing working. That wasted a lot of my dad's time. **** you Microshit, **** you. Ebert and Roeper give it two enthusiastic middle fingers up!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    VB5 runs absolutely fine in VPC.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    So if I want to bring my G4 to class and use VB6.0 I need : _____ & _____.

Sorry again guys, but

Thanks

Dan
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

So if I want to bring my G4 to class and use VB6.0 I need : _____ & _____.

Sorry again guys, but

Thanks

Dan

You need to purchase and install VPC, and then you need to install VB in VPC.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    VB 6 works great under VPC 6.

I did it all the time for one of my programming classes.

lol. That sounds funny.

VB 6 on VPC 6
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks for all the great info guys. Would anyone know the cheapest place to get VPC 6.

Thanks again,

Dan
  • Reply 8 of 8
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    If you're a student or teacher, buy it from a local university or through M$ website for education...I only cost me like $50 that way.