Ray Romano - Is it me, or...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is he really, really NOT funny.

In fact that's such a crap show I just don't get it. The only good thing about that show is the brother.

The wife is an ugly bitch (and in real life she's a horrible person as well), the parents are unlikable and the entire premise is washed out.

But IIRC this moron is the highest paid actor on TV? WHAAT?

Apparently, the title of the show is contrived to convince. But some of us are smarter than that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Never seen more than ten minutes of the show and never want to. Everybody I know hates Raymond.

Now 'Everybody loves Hypnotoad', that's a good show...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, the brother does carry the show. So do the parents. Ray is about #4 on the list.

We watch that show and my wife is constantly going "that is TOTALLY your parents!!" (bitch, they're more like HER parents)

I haven't heard anyone complain that the parents are unlikeable... most of the married people I know can relate to just about everything they do in someway or other.

About the wife... ugly bitch? I'd hit it. And what's with the "horrible person in real life" thing? You have some info on her that I don't? I seem to recall her walking out of some sort of awards show recently and several AIers praising her for it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Is he really, really NOT funny.

He definitely appeals to the married with kids crowd more than "males aged 18 to 24", that's for sure. Also I think he is one of those "love him or hate him" personalities. Not many people I know say "ah he's just OK".

Quote:

In fact that's such a crap show I just don't get it. The only good thing about that show is the brother.

It's seen it's best days come and go for sure, but there were a couple years in there were many episodes rivaled All in the Family quality... especially in terms of how the actors play off one another. There is some very good chemistry there you don't see in 90% of modern sitcoms. I agree the parents pretty much make the show. If it were just Ray, his wife and kids, and his brother, it would suck horribly.

As it is, I doubt there's more than a couple seasons left in the tank.

Quote:

The wife is an ugly bitch

Totally your opinion and frankly worthless here, since it has nothing to do with the humor quality of the show.

Quote:

(and in real life she's a horrible person as well)

Uh, you now this HOW, exactly...? Entertainment tonight? People Magazine maybe? Let's hear a legit source on this one....

Or maybe is this more about your political agenda than how she is as a person? I don't know about you, but I am hestitant to label anyone as being a "horrible person" without actually meeting them and speaking with them first. Even a guy like Jerry Springer - who I suspect is a complete A-hole - I don't label as "a horrible person" because I haven't met the guy. That, and I usually reserve such titles for known felons and other scumbags.

Quote:

But IIRC this moron is the highest paid actor on TV? WHAAT?

He is paid an outrageous amount of money, but then no more so that the hundreds of professional athletes people worship on a weekly basis. Or over-rated CEOs that sit around and play fuking golf all week. Don't get me started on this one, please....

Quote:

Apparently, the title of the show is contrived to convince. But some of us are smarter than that.

Your opinion. Don't pass it off as fact. Especially with something so utterly subjective as comedy.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    He's sort of like Seinfeld that way. The person that the show is named after is the one that nobody really cares about. Remember how Jerry used to do this standup thing that kept getting shorter and shorter until it was eliminated in the final season?

You may not love Ray, but at least you do consider his show and the supporting cast. That's why Garrett held out for the money, and Romano gave it to him. Ray is no dummy to have others play off the strengths.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I find all the "humor" predictable. There was one time I chuckled at a joke, but that was probably the highlight of the season.

Also, keep in mind the cast are ACTORS. They are paid to mimic totally different personalities than their real lives.

Now darn the airlines for playing the same rerun on all 3 of my flights!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The intolerant left rears it's ever so ugly head. So much hatred

My wife and I like the show. We didn't watch it this season, too busy. So maybe it went down hill? Maybe you have to be married to get it?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

She's an conservative anti-choice anti-feminist. I'll leave it at that.

Oh..you mean you found out she's Catholic.

So anyone who disagrees with your political beliefs is "a horrible person"

That idiotic comment says far more about you than her.

Words to live by: "It is better to keep silent and be considered stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
  • Reply 8 of 19
    All Sitcoms Are shite.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Frank777, after more than a year of being registered, are you really surprised by his comments?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    First of all if you have a family there are some really funny things on the show that I relate to. I think it is funny and something that I can enjoy. As for the wife on the show being a horribel person.... Yeah I heard she is a real bitch but why is she horrible for having a conservative view? Oh yeah I forgot this is an Apple forum and if you have an Apple you think differently. So I guess I need to sell mine since I am not a big fan of abortion. Well I am going to go buy a gas powered PC and cut down some trees that I hope fall on some baby seals.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is not a topic I can compromise on. Her major platform is "refuse to choose" and she claims this is in the name of feminism. She is a disgrace to the real rights of women everywhere.

Yeah, what a disgrace that she has a differing opinion on a hotly contested subject. She's defitnitely a moron. Besides, she obviously knows less about womanhood than you do.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

She's an conservative anti-choice anti-feminist. I'll leave it at that.

I'm pro-life and so is my wife. I guess we're horrible people too?

At least we respect the fact that other people don't agree with us. Talk about horrible....
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

I guess we're horrible people too?

Of course, asshole!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I can't stand him. I don't think I've ever heard him say one funny thing ever.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't care for the show, but he doesn't seem like a horrible guy. But I don't keep tabs on celebrity lifestyles so who knows.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Am I the only ~16 year old that enjoys the show on a regular basis?

Now that I think about it, a show *just* about Ray would be pretty bad.

His parents are hilarious...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

He definitely appeals to the married with kids crowd more than "males aged 18 to 24", that's for sure. Also I think he is one of those "love him or hate him" personalities. Not many people I know say "ah he's just OK".

He's okay. I watch the show from time to time and usually enjoy it somewhat.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

He's okay. I watch the show from time to time and usually enjoy it somewhat.

Whoa, this is a really old thread, i didn't notice that. Feel free to get mad at me and let this thread die.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I think the show overall was funny, Ray Romano however was not, I’ve watched his standup comedy as well and I personally just don’t find him funny at all, I believe the show was successful because of the strong supporting cast, the brother was hilarious, to me Romano was a whiny, selfish, lazy slob , everything from his annoying voice to his freakishly Huge nose, watching him attempting to act and listening to that nasal voice of his is like running your finger nails down a backboard, and let’s be honest here, if you let your kids watch the show isn’t
    It a bit embarrassing with Ray constantly chasing Debra around begging for sex?