Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here's the skinny on the new BT keyboard and mouse:

Apple link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
  • Reply 2 of 137
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Saddest pieces of crap I have ever seen.

I mean, is this the best they could do?

They did not even try.

Edit:

The keyboard and mouse I mean.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Saddest pieces of crap I have ever seen?

They did not even try.

I suppose its all about consistancy.

Now we know why the 'Pro' word was dropped on the wired ones.
  • Reply 4 of 137
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I'm not at all interested. I still have an old (black) pro mouse that's never been used. If I ever need a mouse with my 12" then that's what I'll use

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 137
    This one button thing is getting stupid... VERY stupid...
  • Reply 6 of 137
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Saddest pieces of crap I have ever seen.

They did not even try.

Agreed 100%

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 137
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    One button just isn't practical....
  • Reply 8 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Agreed. Once again, the triumph of form over function. Apple is briliiant in so many ways, except mice. Why don't they get this?

Separately, I'm less than enamored with a wireless keyboard since you lose the USB ports. That's just me though.

The wireless offerings seem to be in the 'yawn' category. What's new here?
  • Reply 9 of 137
    I agree. I was alittle disappointed not to something more "cool" like a back light keyboard or a change in the Apple mouse. I think I will be sticking with what I have right now.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    I just don't get Apple sometimes.

Over the years they've completely changed ALL their hardware, dramatically changed their OS, changed their logo, their website, and they even got rid of good old 'happy Mac'. Just about everything Apple has been changed, revamped, refreshed and updated (thankfully). But for SOME reason, the only thing they continue to keep a 'classic' is the crippled mouse?! And how ironic that wide aspect displays (which require more vertical scrolling) dominate Apple's desktops and portables, yet there is no scroll wheel on their 'official' mouse?!

I am very confident that Apple can design a beautiful two-button scroll wheel mouse and an updated keyboard. This white and Lucite look has got to go too. This look does nothing for the AL finish - they should just use it for the consumer line.

Simply maddening.
  • Reply 11 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

Agreed. Once again, the triumph of form over function. Apple is briliiant in so many ways, except mice. Why don't they get this?

Separately, I'm less than enamored with a wireless keyboard since you lose the USB ports. That's just me though.

The wireless offerings seem to be in the 'yawn' category. What's new here?

Apple wasn't the first to do bluetooth mouses. You can get one from kingston or even--do I dare suggest it-- Microsloth. Here is the http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/wiebt_info.asp

Plus, you get the functionality of having 2 buttons, 2 buttons on side, and a scrollbar.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I will defend the one-button mouse. I'm glad Apple kept it that way. That's all I have to say.
  • Reply 13 of 137
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I'm glad Apple kept it that way.

freak
  • Reply 14 of 137
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    No analysis or discussion other than that of the one button issue?

What a bunch of boring whiners.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    I'm with iDave.

One of the arguments for keeping the one-button mouse is that is helps keep developers in check. It's an indirect method of making sure they design their GUIs right and don't use the contextual menu as the end-all solution, throwing items there that don't belong or can't be find elsewhere. This has become a pain in several Windows apps where developers have gotten lazy and throw a bunch of garbage into contextual menus.

Let's also not forget that the one button is easier to click than a two-button mouse. It may sound like a bad joke to you guys, but even today I still regularly deal with people (my own mother at times) using PCs that will hesitate when I give directions and ask me "left-click or right-click?"

If you are a more advanced user and find Apple's mouse insufficient, get a third-party one! I don't know any "advanced" PC-users that have kept the OEM mouse that shipped with their beige boxes.

*sigh*
  • Reply 16 of 137
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It may sound like a bad joke to you guys, but even today I still regularly deal with people (my own mother at times) using PCs that will hesitate when I give directions and ask me "left-click or right-click?"

May I add my 5 year old daughter? She has tried one-, two- and three-button mice and she prefers the classic Apple one-button mouse of course. I think Brad is right. Although I personally prefer and use everyday a two- or the classic unix three-button mouse, after many years I have still sometimes to think before click, just to not click the wrong button.
  • Reply 17 of 137
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm with iDave.

One of the arguments for keeping the one-button mouse is that is helps keep developers in check. It's an indirect method of making sure they design their GUIs right and don't use the contextual menu as the end-all solution, throwing items there that don't belong or can't be find elsewhere. This has become a pain in several Windows apps where developers have gotten lazy and throw a bunch of garbage into contextual menus.

Let's also not forget that the one button is easier to click than a two-button mouse. It may sound like a bad joke to you guys, but even today I still regularly deal with people (my own mother at times) using PCs that will hesitate when I give directions and ask me "left-click or right-click?"

If you are a more advanced user and find Apple's mouse insufficient, get a third-party one! I don't know any "advanced" PC-users that have kept the OEM mouse that shipped with their beige boxes.

*sigh*

Right!

Have you ever tried to train someone that just baught a new computer with a multi-button mouse. Whew.

They are clicking all over the place, deleteing things creating shortcuts and who knows what else. They usually call me back saying "I have Icons all over my desk".

I would say that a good 80 percent of people I interact with have never even intentionally used the right button.

IWhen I bought my FP iMac that was my first complaint, having been a PC user previous, but I have since adopted the one button thing.

My kids seem to prefer it over the two botton on the PC's at school.

My 2 pennies.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    I don't understand why they didn't make the wireless devices rechargeable. I don't want or need another device that poops out toxic waste every 2 to 4 months.

There are other wireless device manfacturers that make their products rechargeable, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 19 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Of course it's practical. I have used one for 16 years.

If you prefer a non-one-button mouse, then buy one. No one will think badly of you.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    Yes, more functional contextual menus WOULD be nice! Usually, contextual menus offer the same options and commands that are found in the file menu (doesn't replace them). Contextual menus act like a short-cut and a quick way to execute these options and commands for those of use who DON'T use keyboard commands as frequently. Not sure why are contextual menus considered a bad thing?

So what about the scroll feature? As I stated above, with wide-screen displays being the norm at Apple, there is more vertical scrolling involved with webpages and finder windows. I personally don't like to zero-in on the scroll buttons within the OS to vertical scroll.

*sigh* - indeed. \

EDIT: Also, if two-buttons are a problem for new users, then only offer them as an option with the Power line only.