New PowerBooks '03!!!!! (merged)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 177
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    According to the specs, the 12" (as the other two as well) have 2X SuperDrives now, AND they burn CDs at 16x.

I think the previous model was 1x/8x...at least on the 12". Double-check that though, but I think that's the case.
  • Reply 82 of 177
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

why buy transition units. \

What other kind is there?
  • Reply 83 of 177
    Quote:

[B]I was about to buy mywife the 12 but now i'm thinking 14" ibook, so convince me why i should get the 12pb and not the 14 ibook.

You should get the 12pb because it has a g4 in it. Alot of posts on this site will tell you that OSX runs great on a g3. Trust me, it doesn't!

Also worth mentioning are the 12pb's better graphics, memory, DVI ability, etc.

And besides,the 14" iBook only saves you just $100!! It's really a no brainer.
  • Reply 84 of 177
    Anyone know if they changed the power adapter? A retractable cord would be great.
  • Reply 85 of 177
    I want to talk about this whole thing. The 7457 is not a bad chip, and I am perfectly happy with it being in PowerBooks instead of the G5. What I am not happy with is as follows:

The G4 has a slow bus therefore it needs big caches to allow it to keep or it needs a faster bus.

Apple takes the new G4 that has a bigger L2 cache and takes away its level 3 cache, while the bus speed remains the same 167mhz. If you look at it it is really a down grade. With a max speed increase of only 333mhz. Oh and for 400 dollars, the difference between the 17" and the 15" you get 80mhz and 2 inches of screen. WFT!!!!!!!!!

The difference between the 12" and 15" is much better.

The overall price is much better with about 300 dollars less than the old prices. I like the old design more than the new one, but I realize that most people don't. I expected a little more from apple, and I was not expecting as much as a lot of you.

I'd like to see some benchmarks between the 1.25 and the old 1ghz. I bet there is little difference.
  • Reply 86 of 177
    Quote:

to use iDvd can't i work it up export it to toast 6 then use an external dvd burner?

Officially, you can't use iDVD on a Mac that does not have a SuperDrive. You can buy it as part of iLife, but the installer won't run unless it sees the SuperDrive.

Even if you could, I personally would not want to render a lot of video clips on a G3.
  • Reply 87 of 177
    Does anyone know what Build of OSX is on the "NEW" Powerbook?

Thanks!
  • Reply 88 of 177
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    I did it... I hit the button... yup... the green one... "Place Order Now!"

After 1 year of nail biting and speculating (and want becoming NEED) a AlBook 15" / 1.25 / Combo Drive is inbound; ETA 4-6 days.

A review will follow when I get it swift order.

Z
  • Reply 89 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pandoering

It seems to me that this is a hush-hush release: non-essential upgrades such as larger HD (who needs 80Go?), memory to 2 Go (1Go will do just fine), ATI 9600 (just sucking up battery power) BUT then cutting L3 cache and putting in a less powerfull battery, probably to keep it all affordable! Man, that's just like giving cheap candy to kids to make them shut up.

I am not bying this one. Hopefully others will...

I'm sorry, but I just have to jump in here. I can't believe how much whining there is. Too small this, too big that, too slow the other thing. I actually saw someone complaining that the new 15"PB is A TENTH OF ONE INCH THICKER!! Step back, people. These are the kickiest assiest portables around; sleek, powerful, fast, and gorgeous. Instead of getting caught up in three-decimel spec-ology, decide if one of these beauties couldn't do what you wanted it to. If not, get a G5 tower and stay at home. As for me, I'm headin' to the Apple store tomorrow!
  • Reply 90 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

I did it... I hit the button... yup... the green one... "Place Order Now!"

After 1 year of nail biting and speculating (and want becoming NEED) a AlBook 15" / 1.25 / Combo Drive is inbound; ETA 4-6 days.

A review will follow when I get it swift order.

Z

Did the very same thing at 0923 PST, WOOOOOHOOOOO. 15" 1.25 SD unit. ETA 2-3 Days (I hope)
  • Reply 91 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

I'm sorry, but I just have to jump in here. I can't believe how much whining there is. Too small this, too big that, too slow the other thing.

Step back, people. These are the kickiest assiest portables around; sleek, powerful, fast, and gorgeous.

I agreee bro! I'm lookin' forward to the one I ordered arriving the end of this week or early next, and I'm gonna dance a little jig when I open it and see that sleeeeeek design and feel the power! 8)
  • Reply 92 of 177
    Got mine, too. I got up at 5:00 am PST, and still barely got off to work in time (7:00am). Now I just have to wait. Hopefully my University won't add any significant time to the process.

I'm happiest about the ATI 9600M card. *whew*

Not unhappy about the additional 2mm in size, unsure about the apparent lack of L3 cache.

It appears that the ethernet, video, FW(s) are on the right, power on the left. I guess that makes sense. At least the USB isn't on the left like on my wife's iBook (what numbskull came up with that one?).

Anyone know what type of RAM to use in the 15? Is it the same as the Ti? Or at least the 17"? Will I be able to find it now at crucial.com?

Waiting sucks.
  • Reply 93 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

You should get the 12pb because it has a g4 in it. Alot of posts on this site will tell you that OSX runs great on a g3. Trust me, it doesn't!

Also worth mentioning are the 12pb's better graphics, memory, DVI ability, etc.

And besides,the 14" iBook only saves you just $100!! It's really a no brainer.

best reasons:

1. 12" Powerbook can do monitor spanning - use the built in screen and external screen both at the same time. The iBook can only do mirroring.

2. The 12" PB is put together much nicer. Sweet keyboard, etc. The iBooks feel a bit "cheap" in comparison.

I bought an iBook (12"), but I should have paid the $300 more for the 12" PB.
  • Reply 94 of 177
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    L3 Cache is my only real complaint. It would have helped to differentiate between the iMac and the portables. They're both AIO machines and while the Books are portable and the iMac is not, the PowerBooks should have a little more power as well as, naturally, portability.
  • Reply 95 of 177
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    OK OK OK you are convincing me about getting the 12pb BUT should i get superdrive? Is the screen too small for video and iDvd? How many of you who have the 12PB have another screen to work with???? and when is next ibook upgrade ( i guess it won't go g4+ till PB goes g5) when is the next expo????. Lots of questions but i wish the PB 12 had a larger hd than the new iPod!!!!
  • Reply 96 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Well, at least Apple made the right decision on screen size and resolution. Rather than move to a 15.4" screen, they stuck with the 3:2 ratio and kept the 854 vertical height.

To the squintronic spec whores: MUAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!! I am teh WIN!

Actually, I was a little worried they'd lower the resolution to 1280x800, in order use a more standard 16:10 display. I really like that extra bit of room on my old headed-for-eBay TiBook.

Of course, the irony of my worrying about losing the extra pixels on the 15" display is that I've been planning on getting the 12" -- which I ordered this morning at 6:15 AM EDT.

I don't care for Squintronic™ either, but I was hoping for just a little more resolution on the 12". I think 1080x810 would have been ideal -- not too squinty, but with a little more room to accomodate the Dock. Having considered such a change in resolution highly unlikely, however, not getting it was not a deal breaker.

I'd also been hoping for the 12" to get L3 cache like the big boys... I didn't expect that the larger PBs would instead not get L3 just like the 12". It'll be interesting to see how the trade-off of adding 256K more L2, while taking away all L3, pans out in benchmarking. Again, not enough of a worry to have stopped me from clicking "buy now".

I have to admit, however, that I am starting to feel the urge to see if I can check out the new 15" in person, and perhaps cancel my 12" order before it's processed. I really do want the extra portability, but I'm unsure about giving up so much screen real estate. Decisions, decisions! If the 15" has the same, nice rugged feel as the 12" I might yet break down and scale up.

My current order is for the 12" Combo Drive, 256 MB (I'll add 512 MB myself), 80 GB drive (want to mirror my desktop system that now has over 45 GB), Airport Extreme card, and an extra battery.
  • Reply 97 of 177
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ORDER DATE: 09/16/03 - 02:38 AM Pacific Standard Time

Ok some questions...

1st..I did standard shipping and I live in pennsylvania (near philly) when can I expect to get this?

Edit: Nevermind this...Apple's website says PBG4 on or before the 23, and the iPod and printer on or before the 19. This is freak'n awesome!

2nd...Will DVD Studio Pro still run even though iDVD won't? I want to make stuff on this and send it to my G4 to burn

3rd...I ordered an iPod with my PowerBook. I believe I read you are supposed to do something with the batteries first before you use them for the first time? Can someone fill me in?

4th...Is there a screen to find WiFi networks? Even if they are private, is there a window that will tell me if I am in range of one?

5th...Is it possible to be TOO happy?! I was telling everyone haha. One of my teachers I didn't even tell asked me when it is shipping while I was leaving school. I told a different once that I'll bring it in once I get it and show him FCP (soundtrack too hopefully)
  • Reply 98 of 177
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I like how the 12" now has 256 MB of RAM on the logic board itself. For a maximum of 1.25 GB (1.256 GB according to Apple but that's WRONG).
  • Reply 99 of 177
    Quote:

OK OK OK you are convincing me about getting the 12pb BUT should i get superdrive? Is the screen too small for video and iDvd? How many of you who have the 12PB have another screen to work with???? and when is next ibook upgrade ( i guess it won't go g4+ till PB goes g5) when is the next expo????. Lots of questions but i wish the PB 12 had a larger hd than the new iPod!!!!

It's not too small for iMovie or iDVD. While it may seem a bit tight, there a plenty of iMac 15" owners out there that use those apps at 1024x768.

Next iBook upgrade's probably this fall sometime--unless there's a major form-factor change, and it might not arrive until MWSF '04 (the next major trade show) in early January.

I'd get the SuperDrive. I use mine for as much back-up/archiving as DVD creation.
  • Reply 100 of 177
    Has it even been confirmed that it's the 7457 in the new Powerbooks? If not, how can we find out?