Are the G5's selling?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I didn't see mention by Jobs at the Paris keynote of the number of G5's that have been sold. Macrumors mentioned, in their live coverage, that iPods were selling well. No mention of G5 sales has me worried that the sales figures are not what Apple needs to make a big step forward in market share. Did I miss something, any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I didn't see mention by Jobs at the Paris keynote of the number of G5's that have been sold. Macrumors mentioned, in their live coverage, that iPods were selling well. No mention of G5 sales has me worried that the sales figures are not what Apple needs to make a big step forward in market share. Did I miss something, any thoughts?

NO worries. The problem is that Apple hasn't gone through their backorders yet and they just started selling the machines not so long ago. In another month or two, I think that you will get some stats (or when they do their SEC filing).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I am willing to bet that the G5 sales are more than satisfactory.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I am willing to bet that the G5 sales are more than satisfactory.

I'm not so confident. It's dropped out of the "top 10" sellers list on Apple's store site.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The PowerMac G5 is not a market share driver in any direct sense (to the extent that it is, it's as a flagship). It serves a few niches, some of which are doing OK, and many of which have been hit particularly hard by the current slump. After all, $3K might be a steal for a machine like the duallie, but it's still $3K.

I imagine that orders took a hit when people discovered that Virtual PC wouldn't run on it. Sad to say, that application is a lifeline for a number of people, especially in business. A few other incompatibilities have cropped up, and a number of users might be waiting for bugs to appear (and to be squashed), to see how other deployments (Va Tech) work out before taking the plunge, or for Panther to appear and their application of choice to be tweaked for the G5, so that when they do get the machine they can plug it in, turn it on, and get its full performance.

I think it's safe to say that nearly everyone who wanted a G5 sight unseen ordered one within the three months that Apple gave them. Everyone else in the market for the thing is either waiting for hard data, waiting for some application, or waiting for money. And a whole lot more people are looking at Apple's less expensive options.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm not so confident. It's dropped out of the "top 10" sellers list on Apple's store site.

Maybe, but 200,000 were sold during that 2-week feeding frenzy, and now the G5s are selling at a slow but steady rate. Plus, the new iPods, iMacs, and powerbooks were recently introduced, so those updates are probably pushing it down the list.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Everyone else in the market for the thing is either waiting for hard data, waiting for some application, or waiting for money.

... or waiting for the things to ship in quantity without a long wait.

My experience in other areas suggests that preorders are usually a small number compared to the volumes that ship once a product is fully available. Of course, there was lots of pent-up demand for Mac systems, so it's unclear whether that applies as well here.

-- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 17
    i believe it was quoted by Apple themselves that they had approximately 110,000 preorders for the G5, a large portion of which were for the dual-processor machines.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

i believe it was quoted by Apple themselves that they had approximately 110,000 preorders for the G5, a large portion of which were for the dual-processor machines.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that they won't have a lot more than that once the orders can be fulfilled in a timely fashion.

-- Mark
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

A few other incompatibilities have cropped up

Like these pro audio cards:

Digi 001

Pro Tools|24 system cards, in Pro Tools|24 or Pro Tools|24 MIX systems:

d24 (core card on Pro Tools|24 systems)

DSP Farm

Pro Tools|24 MIX system card:

MIX I/O (Note: this is different than the MIX Core and MIX Farm cards. See MIX

I/O Overview )

Audiomedia III (Toolbox)

Pro Tools Project PCI

Project II

Disk I/O (Pro Tools III Core card)

SampleCell II

SCSI-64 Kit (included ATTO Express PCI-DC card is not compatible)

• Reply 10 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Like these pro audio cards:

[Digi hardware]

And a whole slew of MOTU cards as well. 5v PCI dies hard in audio, apparently.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

I'm not even considering buying a 2x2 G5 until I can get it "off-the-shelf". Then, I'll think about it.

Pre-ordering something because someone says it's good doesn't fit in my way of thinking. Seeing is believing. I'd like some hard data.

Even now there is no consistancy between the G5 "benchmarks" and the G4. The DP1.25GHz refurbished is going for $1399 at Apple (currently none available, but they will return). That's not a bad price (especially if you need multiple machines for different work points) and don't render 24/7...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    We bought 21 dual G5s.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

I imagine that orders took a hit when people discovered that Virtual PC wouldn't run on it. Sad to say, that application is a lifeline for a number of people, especially in business.

I don't really think business are going to shell out 2000+ bucks for a machine to do accounting stuff.

To these people.....get an eMac with VPC or just pay $400 for a cheap PC will do the jobs

When all Apple line up go G5 and we still don't see any emulator then I will panic
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Something to keep in mind, an item that is priced at $3,000 will not sell has many as an item that costs $300.00 (iPods) as an example. With the many items at Apple Store way under $300.00, the G5's can't be on "top 10" sellers list. It's initial introduction the exception for obvious reasons.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    we're selling them like hell!

although we don't have many 1.6ghz in stock.

i think overall there are gonna sell fine.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

We bought 21 dual G5s.

Who are "we?" And are you hiring?

CV
  • Reply 17 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Who are "we?" And are you hiring?

My office (you figure it out) and we are hiring PhD CPU designers.