Help with Airport !

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got my snow Airport (not extreme) and installed the airport card.

Now I can't seem to make it work.

I have a cable connection, and a powerbook g4 667 that recognizes the ABS, but I can't open the "config" button in the "Airport Admin Utility", in order to configure it correctly. I press and it just doesn't do anything.

I did open the "Airport Setup Assistant" and did everything correct, though.

Can anyone help?

What should be the correct settings in "Networks" ?

Txs

Vasco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    so you have the cable net connection going directly into the airport hub right?

is this a direct ethernet connection or do you need a crossover cable?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

so you have the cable net connection going directly into the airport hub right?

is this a direct ethernet connection or do you need a crossover cable?

Yes it is connected directly and yes, it is a direct ethernet connection.

Txs

vasco
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You shouldn't have to fiddle a whole lot with network settings. What's not working: the internet at all or connecting to the ABS to configure it? Airport Admin Utility has been flaky on and off for me, too. More specifics would help. One thing if you internet connection isn't working: make sure that the ethernet cable from your modem is connected to the WAN port of the ABS. That's the one with the circular symbol.

If you still need to get into the ABS from the airport admin utility, you can connect your powerbook directly to it using any ethernet cable to the LAN port and configuring it properly. In the Airport help, you'll find the proper settings to configure it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i dont think that anyone has addressed yr question.

when you get the admin utility open on yr screen, and you click configure, nothing happens: it sounds as if your "location" is wrong. meaning that yr network might be improperly assigned, and therefore simply not seeing the airport.

go to network, and re-imput all the values. while yr at it, make sure that the airport icon is put in yr menu bar, so that you can see if it is getting any signal or not.

thnx
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple on its support page has a 14-17 step problem solving algorithm to address all kinds of issues. What i did and there are multiple posts on this over the last 3 months, is first get cable internet to work hardwired to the cmputer then once that is done get airport connected. but airport has to be set up right, then configured. do a search for "airport cable internet etc. but that help on apple support page did the trick for me. also my cable modem kept remembering "MAC address" of a previous connection had to get everything hooked up first, let the modem sit for 24 hrs to "forget" the last mac address, then the last thing i did was power on the modem and bingo

but seriously, this is a recurrent problem request, maybe the administrators can have a genius solution forum that can take these common problems and give definitive solutions and become a resource for us all. this would reduce the repeat requests, and be more proactive. many have faced this problem, including myself and there are solutions we just need to organize these
  • Reply 6 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

i dont think that anyone has addressed yr question.

when you get the admin utility open on yr screen, and you click configure, nothing happens: it sounds as if your "location" is wrong. meaning that yr network might be improperly assigned, and therefore simply not seeing the airport.

go to network, and re-imput all the values. while yr at it, make sure that the airport icon is put in yr menu bar, so that you can see if it is getting any signal or not.

thnx

I experienced the same problem and I wrote my suggestions above. For me, the ABS would show up in the AAU, but I couldn't configure it. The only way for me to get into it was to connect my computer to the ABS using an ethernet cable to the LAN port and manually resetting it. Once I did that, it worked fine.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thank you all guys.

I will try some of the suggestions above.

I will let you know« the results.

Txs again !

vasco