anti ripping protection on new cds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i just bought the new adema cd 'unstable'. as i do with all the cds i buy, i tried ripping it so that i could add it to my mp3 collection. but it has a new thing where the files are "protected" and it won't let me rip them properly. the files copy but it plays very distorted. i am able to copy the songs to my hard drive through the program on the cd, but they only play in windows media player (i ordered a powerbook, but it hasn't come yet, so i'm still on windows). and i want to use winamp, but it won't let me. is there anyway to get around the file protection? would i need to use a special program for this?

-seth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    i just want to get the files into mp3 format and unprotected if possible, but mainly just the mp3 format.

-seth
  • Reply 2 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You have bought a defective CD. Return it for a refund.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    it's actually legit. they're trying to do this to all the cds. right now this protection thing is in a testing phase. but they are trying to expand it to all the music media out there.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I know they think it's ligit but it's not for me. I would return it as defective. Because it is.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I would return it too, then I would write a letter to the band telling them that until they produce a fully functional CD of that album, I will not own it. It would probably take several hundred letters to a whole lot of bands before they realize that they are making music to please their fans, and not the RIAA etc... but, I'd still write them to let them know they let me down.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    if you have the patience, and you're pissed off enough, your best bet would be to exchange it for the same thing.

then exchange that one.

then exchange that one. keep doing that until you get a CD of theirs that is not defective. since you won't, you'll just keep sending them back until they give you a refund. it should also help retailers know they don't want to carry these lame ass crippled cd's.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Some copy protection doesn't work when used on a Mac, but I'd definitely say you should return it because it won't play in your CD player (don't say it's a computer, because your computer is a CD player). Ask for a refund, then download the songs from a peer-to-peer network. If the artists want to get paid anything (even the few cents they get from your $15+ you spend for the CD), they should demand their CD isn't copy protected. Although I really don't know how much control the artist has - right now it seems fairly random which CDs are copy protected and which aren't.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Did it have a sticker of some kind on it? Something to "inform" you of the great new "security" systems on it to "protect" you from "piracy"?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    thanks for the replies.. i've returned the cd. the girl at the store was really nice about it. she said that she would recommend to the manager not to carry cds like that anymore. but yea, thanks for all your input... we really should do something to show the music industry that we enjoy listening to music without worrying about how we'd be able to store it and so on. i really am pissed. i hope all this anti piracy shit just blows over. till then, i just have to watch what i buy.

-seth
  • Reply 10 of 38
    protect your rights, join the EFF
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Well I'm glad you returned it alright, but I'm sorry you didn't get the album you wanted. \ It is completely ridiculous to think that I'd want to own an album that I could only listen to in WMP. Maybe they have it on iTMS? Then you could at least get it on your PowerBook when it comes.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Well I'm glad you returned it alright, but I'm sorry you didn't get the album you wanted. \ It is completely ridiculous to think that I'd want to own an album that I could only listen to in WMP. Maybe they have it on iTMS? Then you could at least get it on your PowerBook when it comes.

They do. It's $9.99 for the cd. Get it from there and burn all the cds you want. Distribute them to friends who can't get iTMS and say "screw you" to the RIAA. Damn bastards.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    alright, thanks guys, i'll check out iTMS when i get my powerbook. hopefully it'll be soon. i can't stand windows anymore. i've been waiting for the new powerbook to come out for quite a long time, so i'm really anxious to get it now.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Dealing with this crap on import CDs. Particularly anything from Avex Mode (think Ayumi Hamasaki). There are a few copy-protection crackers for Windows I'll have to look into, one good thing about work we have a bunch of Dells

I buy a CD, I'm going to listen to it in iTunes and on my iPod.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by seth

it's actually legit. they're trying to do this to all the cds. right now this protection thing is in a testing phase. but they are trying to expand it to all the music media out there.

Totally FUBAR.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    That's good that you say that; I just purchased a Massive Attack CD.

• Reply 17 of 38
    I didn't know anyone still bought cds.....
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

They do. It's $9.99 for the cd. Get it from there and burn all the cds you want. Distribute them to friends who can't get iTMS and say "screw you" to the RIAA. Damn bastards.

iTMS is all groovy and that, but what if he wants to rip the CD he bought as an AIFF and listen to it the way it's actually supposed to sound?

Damn bastards indeed, though. With you on that.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I didn't know anyone still bought cds.....

I'm one of the guys who downloads what I need to to discern if I LIKE the music. Then if I think I might enjoy the CD, I will buy it. This is how the system should work. I don't get forced into buying something I've never heard, and the musicians don't get scammed because I buy nothing. And the record label gets to rake me over the coals with their inflated CD prices (even via Amazon), but not nearly as often as they used to.

Perfect.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    I buy about 6 cds a year. All through secondhand channels.... half, ebay, amazonused, etc.

Haven't been in a record store in... hell since before '99.

To me all 'new' music is dead. It gets chewed and recycled so fast that I see no point in spending more then $5 for the used copy a week after it comes out. iTMS is awsome. Amen for a new tomm. where I can get *ALL* the music I want through them.