15 Ti Powerbook G4 Questions - Warranty Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I currently own a 15" ti Powerbook G4 and have had it for almost a year. I am also under a 3 year apple care warranty service.

Recently, I noticed that I was getting keyboard marks on my laptops' lcd screen, and when I have my lcd off (or with no brightness), I can see the streak marks from the keyboard keys.

They aren't that noticeable when I use the laptop itself and when I have nicely colored screens to hide it, but it shows when there are darker screens and when the lcd is under a light.

I just don't understand why this occurs. I know the laptop is 1" thin, but at the cost of -marking- up the screen... ugh... that's not very good.

Anyways, it seems a bit wierd to try and exercise my warranty on this (if it's even possible) - but can I get some people's take on this.

One other issue I was hoping someone could address is that my powerbook is currently missing one little rubber stopper on the bottom left corner - it fell off somewhere I guess in the office If someone doesn't know what I'm talking about - flip over your powerbook and you should see four grey, rubber stoppers situated at each corner of the pbook. Is this easy to replace?

Anyways, hope someone can give me some feedback on these two issues. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne Lau

I just don't understand why this occurs. I know the laptop is 1" thin, but at the cost of -marking- up the screen... ugh... that's not very good.

I'm not a PowerBook owner, but I think I've read about this issue before.

The problem is from oils and dirt on your fingers leaving a residue on the keys. When the PowerBook is shut, the keys press against and dirty the screen. The best solution is to lay a thin cloth on the keyboard before closing. There are actually special keyboard covers you can buy for the PowerBook that serve this purpose.

In the mean time, search around for for LCD screen cleaner. Don't use cleaners like Windex; they can damage the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hey Brad, thanks for the reply - really appreciate it. I tried cleaning it with iKlear (the supposed #1 choice for macs (based on the companies claims)) and it didn't help remove the marks. It seems like the marks are from physical prints of the keyboard keys as opposed to light oil residue marks from the keyboard ... As in, I think my screen might have these permanently it doesn't seem to clean off