if no WMD are found in Iraq, will Saddam be able to return?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seriously...

The whole case for the war was WMD. If there aren't any, what the hell will the US do? Aside from the incredibly tremendous and HUGE pressure from the world community and the instant impeachment of Bush and fellow cronies, what happens with Iraq?

Sure, Saddam is a 'bad guy'... but the whole case against him would fall through. His sons would have been killed...

What a situation...

(PS, I KNOW the reply will be "never in a million years" but still...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Originally posted by ZO

" Seriously.......

I KNOW the reply will be "never in a million years" but still...)

OK

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS "

Besides which someone saw him at the Apple fair in Paris...
  • Reply 2 of 81
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    He's still a murderererererer. Erer.

Bush / Blair are still liars who didn't care about his murdering / use of WMD on his own people when he fcukin' DID it, but ...

Saddam is still a murdererererer and should be (insert your nighmare punishment of choice here).
  • Reply 3 of 81
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

He's still a murderererererer. Erer.

Bush / Blair are still liars who didn't care about his murdering / use of WMD on his own people when he fcukin' DID it, but ...

Saddam is still a murdererererer and should be (insert your nighmare punishment of choice here).

Forced to stand in an elevator occupied by bunge, shawn, SDW, and scott FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!

Nah. I wouldn't wish that fate unto to anyone.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'll share one with Saddam but not those other people.

This is by far the stupidest thread ever.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    sure ZO, sure....

:-)
  • Reply 6 of 81
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Uhhh. Hmmm. Lemme think for a minute....

Alex, I'm going to go with "What is NO."

• Reply 7 of 81
    I think I'll have chicken fajitas for lunch.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Oh come on Scott, you couldn't have possibly read EVERY thread

Seriously though... what will happen? Bush says " ah well, I fubbed up... so what " and just keeps on with the Iraq occupation?

Ironically enough, seeing that the US is too chicken shit to be part of the International Court of Justice, if the US were to get him, they cant even process him 'fairly'.

Yeah, he was a murderer and what not and dont see any way this could happen (him getting back to Iraq in power), but what legal repercussions would there be in the USA or internationally?

Given that the USA (and the UK lakeys) 'got away with' INVADING a soverign state, I would think that this would be but a detail.

Fvck it. No one cares anymore. Lock the thread. People rather pretend it never happened and its not their problem anymore.

What a shame... what a damn shame
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Fvck it. No one cares anymore. Lock the thread. People rather pretend it never happened and its not their problem anymore.

What a shame... what a damn shame

You know, I fully supported the war in the beginning. I believed my government was being straight with me. Because there was enough evidence to prove Saddam had something to do with the '93 WTC bombing, it seemed obvious to me that this was unfinished business. And I loudly justified the war to my fellow liberals believing the evidence presented to me by the administration.

Colin Powell and Rummy thoroughly convinced me that we had justifiable, legal reason to go in and take Saddam and the Ba'athists out. I also supported the war because my best friend, who is like a brother to me, was activated and heading to the gulf to fight this war.

And then, all of a sudden, just before the war started, the core reasons for going to war changed. It went from a legal action to root out WMDs to "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Iraqi freedom? Liberation? What the f*ck! It seemed to me that my own government was slowly tricking me into believing that we were doing something more noble when, in reality, my government was changing "the reason." Why would they do this, I thought? Weren't the violations of the UN resolutions and the WMD evidence enough reason? That's when I started becoming frightened that we were in for a big problem.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm PISSED OFF! There are no WMDs. There was no IMMINENT THREAT! And we're just now trying to figure out how to rebuild this country! Republicans are now trying to sway my opinion with rhetoric like "we took out the biggest weapon of mass destruction...Saddam Hussein." Are you f*cking serious! "Well we've uncovered numerous mass graves!" But, that's not why we went in there! Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and North Korea almost certainly have mass graves as well. Are we going to take them out too?

So, yeah, I'M FURIOUS with my government right now. And NO, I'm not sticking my head in the sand! I'm supporting both Howard Dean and Wesley Clark's campaigns. I've contributed money to Dean and will contribute to Clark. I've taken on an active roll in my community by attending Dean events. I've actively started email campaigns to friends, family and co-workers to get the word out that there is hope that we can overthrow our government with VOTES!
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

You know, I fully supported the war in the beginning. I believed my government was being straight with me. Because there was enough evidence to prove Saddam had something to do with the '93 WTC bombing, it seemed obvious to me that this was unfinished business. And I loudly justified the war to my fellow liberals believing the evidence presented to me by the administration.

Colin Powell and Rummy thoroughly convinced me that we had justifiable, legal reason to go in and take Saddam and the Ba'athists out. I also supported the war because my best friend, who is like a brother to me, was activated and heading to the gulf to fight this war.

And then, all of a sudden, just before the war started, the core reasons for going to war changed. It went from a legal action to root out WMDs to "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Iraqi freedom? Liberation? What the f*ck! It seemed to me that my own government was slowly tricking me into believing that we were doing something more noble when, in reality, my government was changing "the reason." Why would they do this, I thought? Weren't the violations of the UN resolutions and the WMD evidence enough reason? That's when I started becoming frightened that we were in for a big problem.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm PISSED OFF! There are no WMDs. There was no IMMINENT THREAT! And we're just now trying to figure out how to rebuild this country! Republicans are now trying to sway my opinion with rhetoric like "we took out the biggest weapon of mass destruction...Saddam Hussein." Are you f*cking serious! "Well we've uncovered numerous mass graves!" But, that's not why we went in there! Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and North Korea almost certainly have mass graves as well. Are we going to take them out too?

So, yeah, I'M FURIOUS with my government right now.

Like yourself I thought the war was justified in the begining based on how the Bush admin. presented the case. Like youself I too am not happy at all with the way this has all played out.

I am not a conspiracy nut but I do read some of the stuff out there and parts of what is contained in This Link do raise questions to say the least.

I hope most of what is in that link is untrue but... what if.

Fellowship
  • Reply 11 of 81
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Nope! Not that I believe that makes him blameless it's just Bush and CO. would never admit that they lied. Saddam did get what he deserved. He just didn't get it through a legal action.

Nope Bush and CO. will just have to fade quietly into the night with no justice. It will be enough however to be rid of them.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    I don't think that the whole case for the war was WMD, and Ithink that the US has on certain levels "won". Mind you they spent quite a bit of money to get there. Just my view....
  • Reply 13 of 81
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Seriously why the debate here?

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that should we determine his whereabouts, prosecution is not going to be the primary objective. We're going to kill the bastard, then announce to the world that we found him and killed him.

Should this be any suprise considering we've been dropping bunker-busters on every building, shelter and shack where we think he might be hiding?

Naturally, if he's found by someone else, in some other country (say... France), then things become complicated and prosecution does become the primary objective. Milosevic part Deux.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    ZO,

C'mon, you know that US needed something to connivence it's citizens of necessity of this war.

After 9/11 and all that anthrax, korea, afghanistan, and terrorists, what can be more persuading than vision of a terrorist hunting down kids leaving school, etc..., stupid shit like that is what makes up people minds, let's get 'em before they can do something to us.

This is all BS, we live in a stupid world my friend.

What do you expect Bush to do?

Personally all i want is to live on some kind of a remote island, renting yachts to tourists, no tv, slow peaceful life, and rest of this crazy world can kiss my ass.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Personally all i want is to live on some kind of a remote island, renting yachts to tourists, no tv, slow peaceful life, and rest of this crazy world can kiss my ass.

"How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise and of goodwill!

In such a place even I would be an ardent patriot." ~ Albert Einstein
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by d3xt3r

I don't think that the whole case for the war was WMD, and Ithink that the US has on certain levels "won". Mind you they spent quite a bit of money to get there. Just my view....

What else was it? As mentioned earlier the whole iraqi freedom thing came at the last minute, but the fuel was definitely WMDs.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Like yourself I thought the war was justified in the begining based on how the Bush admin. presented the case. Like youself I too am not happy at all with the way this has all played out.

I am not a conspiracy nut but I do read some of the stuff out there and parts of what is contained in This Link do raise questions to say the least.

I hope most of what is in that link is untrue but... what if.

Fellowship

Its a "battle of two sets of conspiracy theories"...In the blue corner is the administration (together with government institutions, military, big corporate etc), with all the big weapons and opinion shaping capabilities of the big media, big $, big airtime, etc dutifully in tow. In the red corner are a bunch of mavericks who see inconsistencies (and worse) in the official versions of events, and assemble alternative versions, which get relatively very limited exposure : these are independent people, small media and organizations who have less to lose, and who can include inconvenient, unsavory, even damning details without losing advertising revenue etc. Both sides have their kooks and non-credible elements....but as in any area of life, the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. The material that makes it through to the history books however is the mass perception, often determined by repetition of a story, truthful or not, thereby rendering it as "fact". I am sure we aren't all naive enough to be unaware of who is firmly in control of that! You can fool some of the public some of the time....etc
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Its a "battle of two sets of conspiracy theories"...In the blue corner is the administration (together with government institutions, military, big corporate etc), with all the big weapons and opinion shaping capabilities of the big media, big $, big airtime, etc dutifully in tow. In the red corner are a bunch of mavericks who see inconsistencies (and worse) in the official versions iof events, and assemble alternative versions, which get relatively very limited exposure : these are independent people, small media and organizations who have less to lose, and who can include the inconvenient and unsavory details without losing advertising revenue etc. Both sides have their kooks and non-credible elements....but as in any area of life, the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. The material that makes it through to the history books however is the mass perception, often determined by repetition of a story, truthful or not, thereby rendering it as "fact". I am sure we aren't all naive enough to be unaware of who is firmly in control of that! You can fool some of the public some of the time....etc

Brilliant and spot on.

Bravo
  • Reply 19 of 81

Interesting site, to say the least, do you have something located...say close to Greece? (climate there is just amazing) :-)
  • Reply 20 of 81
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Here's an example of how history is written, or how people are manipulated by fear. Who recalls the smallpox scare? Saddam *definitely* had smallpox! The Russians supplied Saddam with smallpox! President Bush publicly had smallpox vaccinations! 500,000 US troops had mandatory smallpox vaccinations! Anyone recall the duct-tape and plastic sheeting to save us from smallpox infection from Saddam's drones flying across the heartland delivering biological weapons, and smallpox?? We're being controlled by a Murdoch world of fear and fantasy, and somebody, somewhere is making huge $$$ from it!

Guess who?

Incidentally...Saddam Hussein never had any smallpox, according to the US military, and scientists involved in the search. Fox News, I am sure, will tell you differently...after all they *know*!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...raq_smallpox_1

What a sad world we live in.