The iPad (Apple PDA Animated Mockup)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    maybe you can add touch sensitive buttons (like the G4 Cube's power button) on the device. that way, the surface of the device won't be riddled with holes and have nubs sticking out of it. just touch and hold your finger on the phone book symbol, or calendar symbol....

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: shatteringglass ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by shatteringglass:

<strong>maybe you can add touch sensitive buttons (like the G4 Cube's power button) on the device. that way, the surface of the device won't be riddled with holes and have nubs sticking out of it. just touch and hold your finger on the phone book symbol, or calendar symbol....

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: shatteringglass ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

that is exactly what I was thinking it would be like. The Dock is just a configurable button bar (only in software). You could use your figures to navigate everything. I know fingers are pretty thick, so it could see that you finger say is .5" in diameter so it would find the center of you finger tip and only use that point. That way it is a lot more acurite.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I like the Mockup Michael. Very Nice.

However I think you could put buttons on it without losing too much screen space. Either put them on the side (not really a good idea) or at the botton where you would have an area to hold the device better as well. They could be like the power button on the XServe, well integrated. Cool demo, I did like it.

BTW, did you make the new Omniweb Icon? I liked that too.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    phishyphishy Posts: 34member
    I really like it!!!

What software are you using to render this stuff?

The cool thing about not having hardware buttons is the buttons can change depending on what program you are using. Writing an email? Here is a nice little keyboard. Playing Tetris?? Here's a game pad.

How about a replaceable plexiglas screen cover for that rugged, dirty hand game playing.

Regarding the icam: how about do up a water proof concept?

I think we are well beyond the newton
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I'd still have to argue that the best portable is an augmented-reality headset. A little pen-sized control stick that fits in your pocket helps you navigate. Includes a push-sensitive scroll wheel (I liked that idea), a few programmable buttons, and a twisty cap so that it can actually write. Make it a bit bigger and it can house the CPU, making the headset (i.e. stylish sunglasses) a thinner and easier to wear peripheral that just displays the interface and takes voice command input. In fact, there's several everyday items you could make the CPU/input device. A wallet could also work. Or you could dedicate it to the process of computing and model it after the iPod. I think that within a few years this should be feasible. In fact, why don't you make a mock-up of one?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I WOULD THINK there would be two menu bars on the top. An informational one with the TIME and DATE and maybe notices, and the lower one with options. Also, if you had a sheet of plastic it would be hard to use your fingers or even a stylus, when could it hit the screen?

What could be is that the pen is magnetic and the stylus under the plastic is magnetic so the stylus underneath moves with the stylus above.... a poor idea i think..... It would be nice to have plastic protecting the screen, to ruin a screen like that would be maheym.

It would also need to be the depth of an iPod to hold enough battery power to juice it up with a colour display and all those graphical goodies.

Why not they just give us a screen we can write on on a lap top? that would be nice, with InkWell and all, i mean why would they feature such a feature if they were not doing something, how many people really have drawing pads so that Apple would make a big fuss about that features..

The iPad would be able to be used as writing pad with a FireWire connection/ BlueTooth to the computer to send writing to be turned into Text!
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Actually, two menubars wouldn't be a bad idea at all. (Dare I say... a GOOD idea!)

It wouldn't really violate UI guidelines, because you aren't "throwing" the stylus to the top of the screen, like you throw the cursor to the top on a desktop/laptop. I would oversize the menus though, just to allow for a greater margin of error.