Harry Knowles from AintitCoolNews.com Apple ad?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the first paragraph from the link below Harry Knowles from AICN says that he was filming an ad for Apple in New York. I am unaware of the ad he refers to. Does anyone remember an ad featuring an overweight redheaded guy that had something to do with movies? Or is this for something as yet unreleased. Apple Movie Store perhaps. Just speculating.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16119

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    He's kinda scary looking. Doubt most people will know who he is.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

In the first paragraph from the link below Harry Knowles from AICN says that he was filming an ad for Apple in New York. I am unaware of the ad he refers to. Does anyone remember an ad featuring an overweight redheaded guy that had something to do with movies? Or is this for something as yet unreleased. Apple Movie Store perhaps. Just speculating.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=16119

I've been going to Harry's website every morning for several years now. Harry's been an unabashedly avid Apple user. He frequently gives Quicktime lavish praise and moans loudly when movie trailers are NOT released in QT. I believe he's an iMac and PowerBook user.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    There is no ad currently released featuring this man.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

There is no ad currently released featuring this man.

Thankfully.

It would be a disincentive to switchers.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Now I know you guys aren't dissin' fat guys!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    He first mentioned filming the ad months before the first switch ad ever aired. Maybe Apple decided not to use it?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

He first mentioned filming the ad months before the first switch ad ever aired. Maybe Apple decided not to use it?

While I admit I like his website, would you want HIM in your ads?

• Reply 8 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Was he the guy that was in that one video Apple did when iTMS was unveiled?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    aint heard of this geezer before but by the way he lays out his site im not surprised his ad aint been aired.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Was he the guy that was in that one video Apple did when iTMS was unveiled?

Not sure.... but I don't have the patience to watch it again...

Watch the video
  • Reply 11 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Well, Harry is pretty well known in internet space, so actually doing a switch ad with him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The whole point of switch ads would be to get people who other people trust (think Rush Limbaugh and Al Gore).

Sure Harry doesn't have the appeal of a drugged teenage girl with the intelligence of a gnat, but it wouldn't be the worst ad that Apple could air.
  • Reply 12 of 16
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Oooohh... SCARY!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    well after that pic i have seen him about somewhere, not sure where.

I think hes be best suited to linux or solaris adds or maybe on the front cover of debian weekly.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    What is that 'thing'?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    well, i'd say it's fairly safe to assume that not every single switch ad ever aired.

there were a few celebrity bits... tony hawk, jelly slater, dj qbert...

i'd guess there's at least a dozen celerity spots that ended up on the cutting room floor, and probably several times that in "regualar person" ads.