Canon's new DSLR... under a grand!!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Woohoo!!! It also uses the same CMOS chip as the Eos 10D, 6.3 MP. Great price, under a grand with a lens.

Canon 300D

If my needs weren't more demanding I'd get one today.

[fixed link -Amorph]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    That is a real nice looking bit of kit for the $$ and I could (if I had the money to buy one ) use all the kick arse lenses from my EOS50... I would buy one if I had the $$ ... but I also want to replace my DVSE500 with something a bit fresher..
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I think I am going to order this with the kit lens... I was waiting for the Sony 828 but that might not arrive for months...

Anyone have an opinion about how the 300d compares to the Sony 828... I guess we still need to see pics from the 828 but it seems to get the same lens range as the 828 I will need 2 separate lenses for the 300D... plus I believe the 828 let's you see through the LCD at night and it swivels...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    The current rumors are that this 300D has sent Sony back to the drawing board to some extent, that they're reevaluating their 828 & the 717 and how to either beef up the 828's features, or drop the price to make it more desirable compared to the Canon.

I'm really happy about this, even though I probably won't be getting one. It should give Nikon a shot in the arm to get something similar out to market, instead of depending on the 5k Coolpix line. I just want a DSLR that around that price, but can take my old Nikkor lenses.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm waiting on Nikon/Fuji/Kodak too, what with 3 Nikon lenses, but this is just what the DSLR/digicam market needed, and kudos to Canon for kickstarting a serious price motivator. Even Oly and Pentax better take note, and Sony-Minolta-Fuji fixed lense systems too. The camera makers had been getting FAT and LAZY a bit too long either by charging too much for digital bodies, or buy charging too much for the dirt cheap glass-sensor combinations that go into the average fixed lense system. The 300D proves that a digital body needn't cost too much more than a film the better film bodies, and 1000USD buys a hell of a lot of film body camera (unless you're buying euro exotica!)

Months ago, Sony and Minolta were talking 1199 starting prices for their 828 and A1 respectively. Today the word is that the street price will be 999, and in light of what Canon is doing I can see that plummeting to 899 and even 799 before long. It's a real possibility that the Sony 828 might not materialize at all, or have a very short run once it does!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Woohoo!!! It also uses the same CMOS chip as the Eos 10D, 6.3 MP. Great price, under a grand with a lens.

I have to say that I was shocked to see a sub-US$1000 DSLR (with lens to boot) so soon. I didn't expect that price point to become reality until 2004. But comparing the spec-sheets of the Digital Rebel/300D to the 10D's, I'm not sure which way to go. Sure you get the nice sensor at the lower price, but the manual features are cut down quite a bit. Another difference, whose practical ramifications I don't quite understand, is the pentamirror viewfinder on the 300D vs. the pentaprism viewfinder on the 10D. Finally, the EF-S 18 - 55 lens from the kit is pretty good for US$100 extra. However, at f-3.5-5.6, that lens is even slower than the piece of glass (or plastic) on my P&S PowerShot A20.

Even with a DSLR of such excellent value, I'm still looking at a major investment in faster lenses (two or three primes and a longer zoom) down the road. (Note that I want interchangeable lenses. It's just that I wish they were less expensive.) IMO, the pseudo-DSLRs will continue to play an important role in the digicam market.

Finances aside, the hold-up for me is my aging iBook/500, whose tiny 10GB HDD is already full of 2MP pictures from my PowerShot A20. Bottom line: I need to get a new PowerBook before I can allow myself to go for a DSLR. No point in shooting at 6MP if your computer can't push and store that amount of pixels.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Escher,

IIRC, the difference between a pentaprism (10D) and a pentamirror (300D) is that the mirror will have a slightly darker viewfinder than the prism. On the plus side, the mirror is smaller, so the camera can be made smaller.

I think the 300D is a great camera. If I hadn't bought my 10D earlier this year, I'd be very tempted by it.

I agree about making a major investment in lenses with cameras like these. I went for a 10D as I already had a 35mm Canon EOS SLR, so I thought I could just swap the lenses accross. Unfortunately, the lenses I had were regular consumer ones like those supplied in kits with the body. Whilst they'd been OK for 4x6 prints, they were really found to be lacking when used with a 6MP sensor!!! I ended up getting some new lenses!

Having to wait a while before buying something like this isn't a problem - by the time you're ready to buy, there will probably be a few more cameras with more features and at lower prices .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Canor 300D

If my needs weren't more demanding I'd get one today.

Damn, I wish I had a disposable income. I'd love to get more heavily into digital photography. And this camera looks like one that could make that possible... Some day, some day...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Am I confused, or did the review say it is auto focus only?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Am I confused, or did the review say it is auto focus only?

You can do manual focus - there's a switch on each lens barrel that switches between auto and manual focus.

Dave.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

IIRC, the difference between a pentaprism (10D) and a pentamirror (300D) is that the mirror will have a slightly darker viewfinder than the prism. On the plus side, the mirror is smaller, so the camera can be made smaller.

Thanks for that helpful explanation. It seems clearer now, even though I read a similar statement on DPReview.com.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the lenses I had were regular consumer ones like those supplied in kits with the body. Whilst they'd been OK for 4x6 prints, they were really found to be lacking when used with a 6MP sensor!!!

That is an interesting caveat. Thankfully (or unfortunately), my existing lenses are older manual SMC Pentax lenses. None of today's DSLR bodies will work with them (without an adapter), not even the relatively expensive and unproven Pentax *ist D. So my options are as wide open as the market.

Quote:

Having to wait a while before buying something like this isn't a problem - by the time you're ready to buy, there will probably be a few more cameras with more features and at lower prices .

You speak wise words, Dave Abrey. It is likely that the 300D will spark major competition on price. And even if Canon remains the only manufacturer of a sub-US$1000 DSLR, the price-value ratio of their consumer DSLR can only get (even) better. After all, Canon was the only manufacturer of a sub-$3000 DSLR, the D30, for over a year. So it is not certain that the other manufacturers will follow suit. In the meantime, my digital P&S and my manual film SLR will continue to serve me well.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Escher,

Pleased I could help .

It was a shock to learn that I'd need to spend more money on new lenses after having just spent £1300 on the body alone!!! I had only planned to get new lenses to cover the same range I had before, but I ended up getting a wide angle lens too. Don't forget, due to the sensor size, there is a field of view crop factor to take in to account that will increase the effective focal length of any lens - great for telephoto work (my 75-300mm lens becomes a 120-480mm equivalent!), but rubbish for wide angle stuff (I ended up getting a 15-30mm which equates to 24-48mm).

I really hope that the 300D does well. It should get the other manufacturers thinking, and hopefully we'll see more models with more features and lower prices . I believe that things are looking good for the digital camera market.

Keep us posted if you do get one .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

You can do manual focus - there's a switch on each lens barrel that switches between auto and manual focus.

Dave.

Thanks I read/skimmed the review, but it was in the wee small hours of the morning....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I have a bit invested in canon lenses so this 300d is just the ticket for me, gotta get a new puter first, but I so want to get this cam.. The hard part is always collecting the good lenses, they cost more than the cam!!, but the ability to swap between my film and a dslr is just so tempting No need new mac first..

Coming out now the 300 was a bit of a shock, I bet the rest of the manufacturers are running around in circles going lalalala trying to pretend it didnt and wondering what just happened...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    My boss at work just got his 300D yesterday. He said he really likes it so far. He waited a long time for a D-SLR to come out that didn't kill wide angle. The lens supplied in the kit is specially made for the 300D and has a wide angle equivalent of 28mm. With other cameras, they might have a 1.5/1.6 multiplier which means you have to spend some cash to get back to a reasonable wide angle, and then you have to deal with lens distortion.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I will be getting this as a college graduation gift to myself next summer