Cats and laser pointers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2014
Oh man, I have never been in so much pain from laughing. My cat will do anything to catch the laser pointer, but can't, then flips out when it goes away with being able to catch it. The best is when she tries to run up a wall chasing it. Oh man, PETA would hate this game. My cat is so pissed at this mysterious red dot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I discovered the same thing a few years back. My cat went nuts when I got the laser pointer. I remember reading that it has to do with the spectrum of light that cats can see. Like cats see in black and white, but a laser shows up in red, that's why they bug out so much. However my cat would make this weird noise when he chased it. It didn't sound good, so I stopped doing it.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Torturing your cats like this is NOT a good idea...Cats have good memories...

They will get their revenge by sitting on your face ( arse down ) when your asleep...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    No she loves it though, when I stop she gets up in my lap and starts tapping the laser pointer on my desk with her paw. She goes crazy trying to get it, but when it goes away she knows it's my fault and wants me to make it come back.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    yeah, my dogs love those things.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Sounds fun, have you ever managed to trick your cat into thinking that she caught it
  • Reply 6 of 41
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    My cat basically got bored with it after a while. I tried to let people know not to let him realize that it's not an actual object, but eventually he figured it out. He still gets all exited when I first pull it out, but he just goes and gets his mouse toys soon after.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    I wonder if Bob would do that.

(F.Y.I. Bob is a cat. A female cat)
  • Reply 8 of 41
    My friend has a female cat named Bob, it's actually my cat's sister... Where in NY are you from? I wonder if it's the same Bob...

But she knows where it comes from, she doesn't know what the hell it is though. She thought she had it once, but it reappeared on the top of her paw, and again, and again.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Matt Danger, I just went to your profile and clicked "Find all posts by this member" and read through some... I definitely know that it's the same Bob. When I got to your post about something involving a kid from your school being videotaped putting Legos in his... ... ... I was sure it was you. Man that's creepy, I didn't know you registered here, or had ever been here, how odd we meet up on a message board because we both know somebody with a female cat named Bob.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My dog can't be arsed to chase a tiny red dot. My cat on the other hand, never learns. Another fun thing is tying a string to your cat's tail.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

No she loves it though, when I stop she gets up in my lap and starts tapping the laser pointer on my desk with her paw. She goes crazy trying to get it, but when it goes away she knows it's my fault and wants me to make it come back.

Now that is a smart cat! Up to this point, I've never heard of a cat putting it together that the red dot is coming from a laser pointer.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    My cat knows it comes from the laser pointer. He actually plays with the damn pointer itself. Even the inaudible noise it produces alerts him. If I turn it on under my hand his ears become alert and he starts looking for it .
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Don't you find that amazing, at all? If you can just imagine cat-thinking, isn't that quite a leap of cognitive ability? I'd get your cat on the keyboard with that Emode test right away! You never know...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I never thought I would have a legitimate use for a laser pointer... until now. My Dad is going to be pissed when I start torturing his massively overweight cat. Damn thing needs a treadmill is what it needs. But a Laser pointer will do...

• Reply 15 of 41
    I never thought that it'd make a noise that they could hear, that would somewhat explain it. Also, she probably realized that the dot was connected to me holding the pointer because whenever the dot went away she'd look at me putting it in my pocket or back on the desk. Whenever I pick it up now she gets all fidgety.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My dog can't be arsed to chase a tiny red dot. My cat on the other hand, never learns. Another fun thing is tying a string to your cat's tail.

Cats love to play, it's in their blood. My cat love to play, even a simple plug is an amazing toy for him. Cat do not resist to these stimulations. Playing for them, is training and is an essential part of their never ending education.

In other way, my cats where first scared by my new automatic garage door, afterwhile they get used to it and totally ignore it when it's in movement.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Only one of my 3 cats cares about a laser dot. And yea, what a ball of claws! I never seen a cat move so fast! But if my cat actually sees the laser pionter while playing he stops. I have to hide the laser all the time.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Cats love to play, it's in their blood. My cat love to play, even a simple plug is an amazing toy for him. Cat do not resist to these stimulations. Playing for them, is training and is an essential part of their never ending education.

and people say dogs are smarter
  • Reply 19 of 41
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Hehe, I know this.

At first, I had a flexible riding crop with a string at its end. Whenever I moved the tip of the crop over the floor, my cat would chase this until she ran out of breath and fell down, panting. I'd never imagined cats could be this fast.

A year ago, I got a laser pointer as part of a promotion and discovered by chance how my cat would react to it. And react she did... went off like a freaking rocket on steroids, all over the room, furniture, over tables, shelves, one time, she even tried to run up the wall and fell down (much like an animated comic figure).

Didn't take long and she was conditioned to the slight click of the pointers button. Everytime she hears the sound, she jumps up from deep sleep and ogles me.

I believe, it's the coherent nature of the laser light that looks so interesting to them - the sparkling, bright reflected light that is very different to, say, a torch.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

and people say dogs are smarter

Put a German Shepherd in a small room with the largest tabby you can find, and we'll see who's smarter!