ads to kill

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
this one seems to be giving me all sorts of shit fits. if it loads, i'm stuck and the thread won't go anywhere. can we get this one taken out of the rotation?

it loads up that far then dies. makes it rather hard to post.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I second this motion.

What the heck is going on with all these new ads?

Is it just the flash ones that are evil?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    PithHelmet is your friend.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    pith helmet works with Camino?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    dunno. me no camino. safari.

something similar must be compatible for camino...
  • Reply 5 of 35
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    God is punishing you for using Camino.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Guys, these new batch of ads are horrible, they are slowing down the page loads, and they are even holding the pages from loading, I just get stuck with the ad at the top, like the one alcimedes showed and others. Can you do something about this? Thanks! \
  • Reply 7 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    And the pop-ups don't even load, so you get a "the specified server could not be found" message fore every pop-up.

It ain't a prob for Safari users, but for you guys at work, it probably sucks, huh?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Not only that, but Emode opens 5 or 6 pop-up windows at the same time every now and then.

Frikkin' annoying.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

this one seems to be giving me all sorts of shit fits. if it loads, i'm stuck and the thread won't go anywhere. can we get this one taken out of the rotation?

it loads up that far then dies. makes it rather hard to post.

This #@%@!!! ad chokes my Mozilla at home and my Netscape at work every time. I can't even refresh or back out of it. I have to close the damned browser window and start over... hoping that by chance I don't run into this #@%@!!! ad again.

In fact, when I went here to post this complaint, I had to give up and use Safari, because Mozilla couldn't get past the *!@@**%$# banner ad so that I could complain about the banner ad!!!!

Mozilla gets stuck with "Transferring data from cserver.mii.instacontent.net..." in the status bar, never going any further. Well, f*ck cserver.mii.instacontent.net, and may their web servers contract Sobig.F and die!!!

PS: Safari died too, slower than Mozilla, but I had to copy my message that I was previewing into BBEdit, close my Safari window, go back to this forum and topic, paste the text in, and try again. !!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 35
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I feel your pain. I'd like to shoot the bottle and get it over with.

Now, let's see, what means do I have at my disposal...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    You all might be interested in this:

Using /etc/hosts to block ads

Better than nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

You all might be interested in this:

Using /etc/hosts to block ads

Better than nothing.

Can't you do better than that Brad ?

It needs to be fixed at your end of the spectrum.

( yeah..Emode has reappeared ) like a friggin jackin a box..

Ps 4 your info I am running OS 9.2 with a firewall & "webfree" on IE explorer 5.something or other.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Just checked. Emode ads appear to be writtern in JAVA and work as a form of applet..

They're really giving me the shits..I have switched off Java on my console but it still keeps popping..Its gotta be an applet of some sort..
  • Reply 14 of 35
    i actually got so ****ing sick of that bottle i tried to shoot it, but even that didn't work. BANG! BANG! the bottle was still there.

this ad needs to die a horrible, slow death. i'm not reading any of my forums at this point it's such a royal pain in the ass.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Just checked. Emode ads appear to be writtern in JAVA and work as a form of applet..

They're really giving me the shits..I have switched off Java on my console but it still keeps popping..Its gotta be an applet of some sort..

In Camino, I turned off JavaScript but left Java enabled and it seemed get rid of the evil bottle ad. Of course, all the ads are choppy and horsey looking now, but at least I have peace again.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Can't you do better than that Brad ?

It needs to be fixed at your end of the spectrum.

I'm afraid this one is out of my hands.

All I can suggest in the mean time is blocking the ads on your end via PithHelmet or the /etc/hosts file.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    or moving over to OmniWeb. (which, btw, also uses Apple's WebKit (used in Safari))
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Have you notified the banner company, to tell them to get rid of this particular banner?

I know myself and others were successful in getting rid of the super fast flashing "click here" banner from awhile ago..
  • Reply 19 of 35
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Not only that, but Emode opens 5 or 6 pop-up windows at the same time every now and then.

Frikkin' annoying.

I just returned to AppleInsider today after a week of crazy, busy times at work and home. Unfortunately, the Emode ad is making it very difficult for me to use and enjoy AppleInsider. Just now it opened up at least 6 pop-up window ads, one after another. Please correct this. Please.

I am not sure that disabling pop-ups is the answer, as some sites, including my work remote log-in, use pop-ups for non-advertising functions.

I don't mind a couple of pop-up ads when I log in, but the Emode ad is ridiculous.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    And now the ad is for a pop-up blocker!!