Will Panther work on a Wallstreet PowerBook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Wallstreet 300 PowerBook and read somewhere that Panther only works on Macs with built in USB. How accurate that is, I don't know. Does this mean that Panther won't work on my PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Well: if it doesn't have built-in USB, you won't be able to upgrade. Seems Apple has always made it harder for these oldest, old-world-ROM G3s, and now they appear to have taken it one step further still. However, didn't the Wallstreet have built-in USB? I thought Wallstreet was actually Rev. B of the G3 Powerbook?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Well: if it doesn't have built-in USB, you won't be able to upgrade. Seems Apple has always made it harder for these oldest, old-world-ROM G3s, and now they appear to have taken it one step further still. However, didn't the Wallstreet have built-in USB? I thought Wallstreet was actually Rev. B of the G3 Powerbook?

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if the statement 'won't work on anything without built in USB' is correct or not. Hopefully someone has got or tried to get the development version of Panther on a Wallstreet and can confirm or deny the statement.

Wallstreet was the first of the 'true' G3 PowerBooks - it had two versions, mainly a processor upgrade I think, both using serial ports and SCSI.

I suppose I'll just have to wait until the release to find out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't think having built-in USB or not has much to do with the problem. Apple says that Panther only works with PowerBook G3s with built in USB, but I believe they say that because it's easier to understand than "compatible with NewWorld ROM machines." The Wallstreet uses OldWorld ROMs and I really don't know what the problem is, but somehow that makes it so Panther won't work on it. Also I heard from an Apple Tech I know that OldWorld ROMs have no Open Firmware.

By the way, the first true G3 PowerBook was the "Kanga" PowerBook G3/250 based on the PowerBook 3400c. You could put a G3 upgrade in a 1400c or a 2400c, but those probably came quite a bit later than the Kanga anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure someone is working on a hack to get OS X on a Wallstreet, but I wouldn't count on it. Judging by how well Wallstreets work in Jaguar, I wouldn't get my hopes up for good performance in Panther. It might be usable, but only barely. You can get G4 upgrades for Wallstreets, but I question their worth when you're not even fully supported in 10.3.

EDIT: As for the two versions of the Wallstreet, it wasn't a huge processor jump - it went from 233/250/292 to 233/266/300. They standardized the bus speeds in the second revision to 66 MHz (the 250 and 292 MHz Wallstreets had 83 MHz buses). Also, they dropped the 13.3" screen option and made the 14.1" standard across the line, with a lower-cost 12.1" ACTIVE MATRIX screen option on the 233 MHz (before, the 12.1" was a passive matrix). They also made the 233 MHz processor much better - the old one didn't use any L2 cache, which dropped performance down lower than any other G3 Apple has ever used, but the later ones had 512 kb of L2 so they got by just fine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    than "compatible with NewWorld ROM machines." The Wallstreet uses OldWorld ROMs and I really don't know what the problem is, but somehow that makes it so Panther won't work on it. Also I heard from an Apple Tech I know that OldWorld ROMs have no Open Firmware.

OK, thanks...I'd still like to know if anyone has proven it one way or another. Either way, I obviously have to start saving my pennies.

By the way, the first true G3 PowerBook was the "Kanga" PowerBook G3/250 based on the PowerBook 3400c. You could put a G3 upgrade in a 1400c or a 2400c, but those probably came quite a bit later than the Kanga anyway.

That's what I meant to be honest - Wallstreet was the first G3 laptop not to be based on an older model.

Anyway, I'm sure someone is working on a hack to get OS X on a Wallstreet, but I wouldn't count on it. Judging by how well Wallstreets work in Jaguar, I wouldn't get my hopes up for good performance in Panther. It might be usable, but only barely. You can get G4 upgrades for Wallstreets, but I question their worth when you're not even fully supported in 10.3.

I know about the upgrades and such like, but Jaguar works fine for me, and with Panther being billed as faster, I was hoping for more life out of my Wallstreet.

EDIT: As for the two versions of the Wallstreet, it wasn't a huge processor jump - it went from 233/250/292 to 233/266/300. They standardized the bus speeds in the second revision to 66 MHz (the 250 and 292 MHz Wallstreets had 83 MHz buses). Also, they dropped the 13.3" screen option and made the 14.1" standard across the line, with a lower-cost 12.1" ACTIVE MATRIX screen option on the 233 MHz (before, the 12.1" was a passive matrix). They also made the 233 MHz processor much better - the old one didn't use any L2 cache, which dropped performance down lower than any other G3 Apple has ever used, but the later ones had 512 kb of L2 so they got by just fine.

That's really what I meant by 'mainly a processor upgrade'. I was just trying to say that those two iterations were of the same Wallstreet 'family', that's all.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Oldworld machines do have Open Firmware. Wallstreets have an annoying open firmware though. I doubt that is the issue, however.