Introducing the Powermac G5 toolbar icon!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was bored this weekend, so I did nothing but use my new G5 for random graphics tasks, with no real pupose. But then I noticed that little icon in my toolbar: it was an iMac! My G5 isn't an iMac! Calling it an iMac is a disgrace that will never be forgiven! So I spent Sunday afternoon making a G5 toolbar icon.

So what is this, anyway? This is tweak that changes the Computer toolbar icon (which, when clicked, goes to your Computer, similar to My Computer in Windows). The Computer toolbar icon is, by default, a little iMac icon, but this tweak turns the iMac into a G5.

This is what it looks like with the tweak:

It looks pretty good, eh? But remember:

BACK UP THE ORIGINAL IMAC.ICNS FILE BEFOREHAND IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND.

That said, if you have a G5 and want a little change, rename this .icns file "imac.icns", and plop it into your /System/Library/Coreservices/systemicons.bundle/contents/resources folder, and then log out and back in again.

If you have trouble (your Mac says that you don't have the permissions to modify it), choose Get Info on the Resources folder, and change the ownership and permissions so that they're "owned" by you.

Here's the file: right click on the link to download it.

The file.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Since I'm new to Macs, what are you talking about? Also, I'm looking at this forum on a PC (until I get home tonight). Can you post a photo so I can see what you mean and what your icon looks like?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Great ! I love it !

Hopefully this makes the waiting for my Dual G5 more bearable...

-> alligator:

I was also confused at first. This file replaces the iMac G4 picture in the toolbar of the Finder windows with a nicely done sideview of a G5.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I was bored this weekend, so I did nothing but use my new G5 for random graphics tasks, with no real pupose. But then I noticed that little icon in my toolbar: it was an iMac! My G5 isn't an iMac! Calling it an iMac is a disgrace that will never be forgiven! So I spent Sunday afternoon making a G5 toolbar icon.

So what is this, anyway? This is tweak that changes the Computer toolbar icon (which, when clicked, goes to your Computer, similar to My Computer in Windows). The Computer toolbar icon is, by default, a little iMac icon, but this tweak turns the iMac into a G5.

This the toolbar normally:

And with the tweak:

And the result is great. But remember:

BACK UP THE ORIGINAL IMAC.ICNS FILE BEFOREHAND IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND.

That said, if you have a G5 and want a little change, rename this .icns file "imac.icns", and plop it into your /System/Library/Coreservices/systemicons.bundle/contents/resources folder, and then log out and back in again.

Here's the file: right click on the link to download it.

The file.

Enjoy!

Umm. Having trouble. I get an error message saying "Resources cannot be modified. How do I get around this?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    One small thing that caught my eye...should the logo on the side of the G5 icon be more white (or light gray)? With it dark like that, it looks more like a first-generation G4 tower.

But it looks great. Did you draw that from scratch, Placebo?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ya same here... i changed the permissions to me
  • Reply 6 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

One small thing that caught my eye...should the logo on the side of the G5 icon be more white (or light gray)? With it dark like that, it looks more like a first-generation G4 tower.

But it looks great. Did you draw that from scratch, Placebo?

Yes, but I used the PR photos for reference.

Photos coming in a sec.

pscates- I tried the apple different ways, it looked best relatively dark. But I'm stil perfecting it, so I might change it a bit.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    BTW, here's the image:

• Reply 8 of 18
    Hate to triple post, but:

G5 Icon v2

Not much has changed, but the Apple logo is lighter, and I even took the time to make the logo have the same kind of lighting that the G5 itself has.

Just right click and click "download link to disk".
  • Reply 9 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The devil lurks in those details...

I can only view the posted images above...looks nice.

I was just big on the lighter Apple logo...besides everyone knows it's there and what it's supposed to be and look like. The dark certainly shows up better, but it kinda detracts from the "G5-ness" of it. As I said, I immediately think "Sawtooth G4..." or whatever.

Can I ask a question? How/what did you use to draw it? Straight into Photoshop? Illustrator? Freehand? Did you draw it large and shrink it down or did you work at that actual small size. When you say you used the PR photos for reference, did you simply eyeball them visually or did you place them in the file and use them as a template to draw over?

I just enjoy knowing how others draw stuff. I doodle a bit...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Any way to adapt a different icon into the icns format? I got a little icon set, "Jaguar Hardware," when I downloaded CandyBar, but I don't use CandyBar because it's caused problems for me in the past. I only want to change one icon anyway - from the iMac to an eMac.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I just enjoy knowing how others draw stuff. I doodle a bit...

Yeah...I've seen a couple of yours...those rough pencil sketches on napkins? We know you, pscates...don't be modest, now...

This is what I did: I took the Apple image, opened it in fireworks, spent an hour of knockout work (erasing the black), scaled it down, and spent a couple more days making it have a distinct aqua look and feel. I added emphasis on the outline and the lighting, I enlarged the Apple logo slightly, and darkened it. (And then lightened it again, because of one little perfectionist's comment ) Then I did the whole iconcomposer deal (and I designed a new icon for iconcompose- it became addicting)

Luca Rescigno: Just get the eMac icon itself, rename it imac.icns, and drop it into /System/Library/Coreservices/systemicons.bundle/contents/resources.

You might have to change permissions.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    How do I get the icon itself isolated from the file (I don't know what type of file it is, Get Info says it's just a "document")? I don't want to just drop it in unless I know it's safe.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Is it some kind of proprietary package file? What does the icon looks like?

Try this: control-click the document, and see if it has a "display package contents" option. Dig down into its contents (The images are usually in "Resources"), and copy the file.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    No, it's some sort of unspecified document. If I double click it, it tries to open it with Snood. The idea is that you Get Info, click the icon, copy it, and paste it onto the file/folder you want to have that icon. It doesn't have package contents, and unlike the icns file, it has a resource fork (I tried opening both in ResEdit). I guess I'll just download CandyBar and use that.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Well, get me a "screenshot" of the icon, and I'll do the rest, if you want.

Seriously, I have nothing better to do. (Even though I'm at school right now)
  • Reply 16 of 18

As you can see I decided to just replace the icon with CandyBar anyway, but do you see the problem?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Can you open it in Preview, and then export it as a .tif? Mail the .tif to me if you can.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    No, I can't open it in Preview. GraphicConverter won't open it either. I renamed it to .icns but when I did that I just got the blank document icon for "Computer."

I think I'll just live with it the way it is now.