OMG!!! Pop-up ads driving me to drink!!

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

Is this a recent development (within the past 24-36 hours)? When visiting AI on a non-Safari browser (Explorer, for example, on my OS 9-based G4 at work) EVERYTIME you click in the forums (to read a thread, to post a thread, to check a forum, etc.) a pop-up ad...well, pops up (the notion of me visiting AI during work is a whole other thread and doesn't really pertain to the matter at hand, so don't start with me).

But seriously...has the place gone pop-up crazy in the past day or so?

Just so I'm clear, Explorer doesn't offer a pop-up blocker like Safari does, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Same here!

I get a emode.com popup add every time I move around in the forums... THIS IS PISSING ME OFF... only because they don't pop up in view, they do so in the background so after I close my AI window I am bombarded with like 30+ emode.com windows.

I use IE.

Also I know you guys need to pay for bandwith but I hope all the extra adds are for doing just that...
  • Reply 2 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Why anyone still uses IE is a mystery to me.

If I have to work on an OS 9 machine (or a PC) I always use Mozilla.

I haven't seen a pop in, what, like two years?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    I am on a PC... Mozilla is great but I only use it under linux... I use IE under WinXP... you know the browser that is part/built-in to/of explorer (finder for windows).
  • Reply 4 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I use Mozilla Firebird when I have to use Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Why anyone still uses IE is a mystery to me.

I don't normally use IE... Right now, however, IE is the only browser that isn't KILLED by the #$$#%@#@ "Shoot the Bottle" ads!

So... choose your poison. Tons of pop-ups, or hung browser windows. Great choices.

Has someone at AppleInsider recently decided the just don't like running this web site anymore, so they've decided to drive everyone away?

GET RID OF "SHOOT THE BOTTLE"!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I am on a PC... Mozilla is great but I only use it under linux... I use IE under WinXP... you know the browser that is part/built-in to/of explorer (finder for windows).

When I'm on my gaming rig at home - a PC running XP, I use Mozilla there too.

There is no reason why you have to run IE on a PC except when you need to run Windows Update (and there's probably a way around that too).
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Shoot the bottle?

Safari and Mozilla aren't bothered by them.

EDIT: Interesting. I guess others are having trouble with S.T.B., but no hangs on my end. I wonder what the difference is? Hmm.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    So that's what's making safari and mozilla hang.

I use safari and camino on my apples, and mozilla on my pc. There is no reason in the world why anyone should be using IE as a primary browser. There is also no reason why anyone should have problems with pop-up ads these days.

Is AI getting paid more to have a bunch of pop-up ads?
  • Reply 9 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well I do. We can turn this into a browser pissing contest, or we can stay focused on the things I ask in the opening post.

But I'll check out these other options in the meantime.

For the record, I DON'T use IE at home (haven't since January, when I happily switched to Safari and haven't looked back). I have an OS X-only Mac at home, so it REALLY sucks to use OS 9 8 hours a day.

But I wasn't aware of this Mozilla stuff running on 9 and so forth.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    emode.com is making me emad!
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

When I'm on my gaming rig at home - a PC running XP, I use Mozilla there too.

There is no reason why you have to run IE on a PC except when you need to run Windows Update (and there's probably a way around that too).

God you people make me sick... and NO there is no way to update without IE (unless you turn on auto-update and let it do its "thang")

I like Mozilla! but IE is the way to go when in windows!
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I hope I am not speaking too soon but I have not had a popup in like the past hour... did they turn them off?

YaY no more emode!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

I like Mozilla! but IE is the way to go when in windows!

That's funny!

I believe you'd be in the minority with that opinion.

Even Opera is better than IE on a PC.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

I hope I am not speaking too soon but I have not had a popup in like the past hour... did they turn them off?

YaY no more emode!

No such luck. I just closed out 18 of them.... (what sucks is that in my office we aren't allowed to DL other browsers... ::+sigh+::
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Shoot the bottle?

Safari and Mozilla aren't bothered by them.

"Shoot the Bottle" is a banner ad, not a pop-up -- just to make sure you know what I'm talking about.

Maybe it doesn't bother your Safari and Mozilla, but it sure as hell screws up mine -- and for other people who try to use AI as well. Mozilla and Netscape, on both OS X and Windows won't work properly, nor does Safari -- web pages lock up or act strangely soon after the banner ad appears.

Do you have Java turned off? I think "Shoot the Bottle" is an applet, or uses an applet. If that's the difference, I'll be damned if I have to give up Java applets just because some idiot coder for an obnoxious internet advertister is screwing things up.

The only reason I bring this banner ad issue up in a thread about pop-up is that I'm now having to put up with pop-ups since my favorite pop-up blocking browsers are being sabotaged by "Shoot the Bottle".
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

That's funny!

I believe you'd be in the minority with that opinion.

Even Opera is better than IE on a PC.

Oh god... listen... I LIKE IE...

OK? Do ya got a problem with that? Or do I have to eKick your ass!

Let us leave it at this... I like IE under windows... and you don't.

So let us get back on topic...

I did speak too soon... the mutter ducking emode.com popups are back.

AI are you on crack? Why piss off your members?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Yeah, I remember seeing the "Shoot the bottle" banner (which showed up after those super annoying blinking ones disappeared), but I've never experienced any hangs, slowness or anything adverse when it loads.

Java is enabled.

JavaScript is enabled.

I'm at a loss as to why things are different on this system, but I'm glad that they are.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I absolutely hate Pop-ups and I get one now with every single page change

ANd I am using Safari and disable JAVA . .

but why should I have to do that?!?!?!

tell your pop-up add people that they can gaurantee that I will not not not even look at the content of any Pop-up . . . ever!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think there should be an optional paid ad-free subscription thing. I'd pay maybe $1-$2 per month to get ad-free access. Low End Mac does this and they don't even have any popup ads.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I use Safari, have pop ups blocked, and have PithHelmet installed. Java is enabled.

I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. One of these days I'll turn these things off and check it out.

Not.