screw firewire iPod! Wireless iPod!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With all the Airports installed in a bunch of macs, wouldn't it be cool if you could transfer files wirelessly to your iPod from ANYWHERE near an aiport base. Or you could probably STREAM mp3s instead of downloading them onto a hard drive. That way, you wouldn't need a huge hard drive and by not having a huge hard drive, fitting a special airport card in there! What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    cool but some people are already screaming bloody murder over the current price. tack on $69 more bucks. worth it? (and you still need to add a power adapter to the cost too.)

someday, but firewire is fast and gives it power cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    There really isn't much point. The iPod is designed with being portable in mind. Adding wireless connectivity at the cost of the hard drive would only restrict it's use. They want you to be able to go out with it not be stuck within a small radius.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    Say for instance you are using your iPod in the study room. While chilling on your couch, you find out that you forgot to get a song off your computer. You really want to hear it, but you are too darn lazy to get up and walk upstairs to your computer(don't tell me you aren't ever that lazy). Anyway, so you find your computer on the network using the iPod and find your song. Download it! Voila! Also I guess it would be cool if you could transfer files to other iPod users, although some may find that action illegal :-p. Also I don't think they will tack on another 69 dollars or so. They own the Airport technology, they should give it as an added bonus to Apple users and to justify their 399 and 499 price tags.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's possible to network over FireWire, so a wireless add-on isn't a completely crazy idea.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong> You really want to hear it, but you are too darn lazy to get up and walk upstairs to your computer(don't tell me you aren't ever that lazy). .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you should be frog marched around the block a few times. Think the exercise might help.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    What if, open your mind real wide and picture what if:

A hard-drive-less, wireless iPod.

How would it work? Easy (kind of). You use Firewire for charging and security for the Mac that holds your MP3s. (Basically your making a one-to-one login from WiFiPod to Mac).

The playlist you see on the iPod is your iTunes library.

You want to play a song? Your Mac streams the selected song to you using Quicktime broadcasting*.

The Pros: Better battery life. Essentially solid state. Slimmer. Cheaper -- Subtract cost of HD, add cost of Wifi card/chipset equals cheaper by a hundred dollars at least!!

The Cons: obviously can't use it as a Firewire hard drive. If you're out of range, you're out of luck. (But remember, the WiFiPod wouldn't have to be in range of your Mac directly as long as you are in range of a WiFi network that can see it -- So if your Mac has a broadband connection you could theoretically be in any WiFi hotspot).

Screed ...Lack of sleep makes me think ...too much.

* Why did they call it "Quicktime Broadcaster" if you can cast to only one recipient without QTSS??

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

With all the Airports installed in a bunch of macs, wouldn't it be cool if you could transfer files wirelessly to your iPod from ANYWHERE near an aiport base. Or you could probably STREAM mp3s instead of downloading them onto a hard drive. That way, you wouldn't need a huge hard drive and by not having a huge hard drive, fitting a special airport card in there! What do you think?<hr></blockquote>

Airport range is limiting, so maybe a frequency modulated signal could be used instead. And to drive the cost down, get rid of the hard drive. Those Toshibas are too expensive. For cheap, you can use a replaceable cartridges employing magnetic bands. It would just need a cool name to exemplify its capabilities.

iWalkman

If you're really lazy and don't like walking, then you can use satellite radio frequencies instead, and have:

iSatman

You can pay me the royalties through my PayPal account.