G5 Order Status Changes

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My dual G5 order status is still "Open" even though its estimated shipment date is next Monday. I am wondering what status changes should I expect to see on this order previous to shipment. Will it jump from "open" directly to "shipped"? If not, what are the intermediate steps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Open.

Assembling. (or OrderInProcess which means backordered)

Shipped. (or Delayed)

Closed.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Open.

Assembling. (or OrderInProcess which means backordered)

Shipped. (or Delayed)

Closed.

According to the help page on the Apple Store site, the status messages seem to be:

Order Received

Open

Partially Shipped

Shipped

Electronically Delivered

Completed

Cancelled

Action Required

There's no "Assembling" on the list, but that doesn't mean, I guess, that the order status page wouldn't display such a thing under the right conditions.

-- Mark
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I too have the same situation with an "open" order slated for next Monday. I am getting scared, however, as it still seems very few dual orders have shipped, and like the last delay, Apple has very little time left to get many many orders out the door.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

I too have the same situation with an "open" order slated for next Monday. I am getting scared, however, as it still seems very few dual orders have shipped, and like the last delay, Apple has very little time left to get many many orders out the door.

It changes from "open" when it's shipped. So, if it's scheduled to ship Monday, you wouldn't expect it to be anything but "open" until Monday, when it will say "shipped".

Open covers all "in process" thinks like assembly, loading, labeling, etc.

Dual orders are shipping. Go to a high-volume board like MacNN or Spymac and every bozo who ordered a dual is posting "it shipped!". (Not that I'm calling you, or all other people who ordered dual bozos.)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

What kind of system did you order?

It's possible that they're going to have to delay further, but the systems ARE starting to ship in reasonable numbers.

I've heard rumors that the 250 GB drives are holding up a lot of orders because Apple can't get the parts. I don't know whether this is true, but I haven't seen anyone posting that their 250 GB drive-equipped G5 has arrived.

My order has 2 250 GB drives, so I guess I'm screwed.

-- Mark
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Sorry mark, was shooting from the hip.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Sorry mark, was shooting from the hip.

No reason to apologize; it's certainly quite possible that your order won't ship on time. Let us know!

-- Mark
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Mine was a stock 2DP except for a CTO combo drive. Date went from 8/29 to 9/22 and hasn't changed since. I am getting paranoid about it shipping on time though. Anyone know if Apple ships over the weekends?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I think many of the 9/22 orders won't ship on time. I started a thread at Macnn to find out how many people were still waiting, and quite a few are...even people with 6/24 order dates. My order date was 7/10, I originally had an 8/29 ship date, now it's 9/22...somehow I doubt apple is going to catch up with all their orders given how far behind they appear to be.

Get ready for another delay.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Thats what I am starting to be afraid of. But God I hope not. If there is another delay I am getting some free hardware upgrades out of them (Bluetooth, AE) or something.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I ordered on 7/15 through ADC. My initial ship date was 8/29 and was pushed to 10/14. It just shipped on 9/18 much to my surprise. My G5 was a CTO model, specs as follows:

CPU: 2x2GHz G5

Graphics: 9800 Pro

HD: 1x160 GB

RAM: 512 MB (2x256, the minimum)

Optical Drive: Super Drive

Internal Bluetooth

Internal Modem

I also purchased some good accessories:

20" Studio Display

iSight

AppleCare

.Mac Membership

DVD Media

Overall, this was a pretty large order. So what helped / hindered me?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I ordered on 7/15 through ADC. My initial ship date was 8/29 and was pushed to 10/14. It just shipped on 9/18 much to my surprise. My G5 was a CTO model, specs as follows:

CPU: 2x2GHz G5

Graphics: 9800 Pro

HD: 1x160 GB

RAM: 512 MB (2x256, the minimum)

Optical Drive: Super Drive

Internal Bluetooth

Internal Modem

I also purchased some good accessories:

20" Studio Display

iSight

AppleCare

.Mac Membership

DVD Media

Hold on a second --- *wipe* --- had to get that drool off my keyboard.

I think it helped you didn't add any memory. I do know that some people get better treatment, depending on how much they've ordered in the past. But other than that, I don't know. I had thought that the 160G drives were slowing people up, too, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Nice order. I suspect it's the ADC thing that gives you some preference...just a guess.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreakTornado

Nice order. I suspect it's the ADC thing that gives you some preference...just a guess.

One would think... but then why was it bumped to 10/14, one of the latest dates I've heard quoted around here?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreakTornado

Nope, and worse they've been complete jerks to us over the phone too.

(Still awaiting a CTO G5 - and the only thing I did was put in the 250GB. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, ...)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    After receiving the shipping notifcation e-mail for my dual G5 today (Saturday 9/20), I can confirm the status changes from "open" to "shipped".

Based on the info in the e-mail, it appears the machine will come with a Bluetooth interface even though I had deleted it from the order a few weeks ago. A freebie to compensate for the delay, or a mistake in the e-mail? Time will tell.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Do you know if the email arrives first, or the order status page changes first? Or were you not pathetically checking both every 5 minutes like I am?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I order a Dual 2.0 with a 9800, BT, and a 250 HD plus two 23" lcd's. My ship date is 10-22 but then again I order on 9/16. My displays slipped from 9/16 to 9/19 which caused me not to get them until monday I had paid for over night but looks as if Apple does not use Saturday or night.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elderloc

I order a Dual 2.0 with a 9800, BT, and a 250 HD plus two 23" lcd's. My ship date is 10-22 but then again I order on 9/16. My displays slipped from 9/16 to 9/19 which caused me not to get them until monday I had paid for over night but looks as if Apple does not use Saturday or night.

i ordered a stock dual with a combo drive on 8/16 and my ship date is 10/29. (also, it's an education order). hmph.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnjosephbachir

i ordered a stock dual with a combo drive

if you ordered a combo drive, it's not a stock dual. Anyway, their ship dates have oscillated all over the place, but you'll probably get yours before someone who orders in September.

-- Mark