iMac 350 and Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok... I just got a iMac for free because the owner thought it was busted... just needed a new battery.

I have linux running on it... and I love it.

I want to try out Panther on it when it comes out.

Has anyone installed panther on such an iMac or g3 at 300 to 400 mhz???

It will only be used to play music and serf the web... maybe a print/file server.

It has a 2xAPG Rage 128 PRO, will quartz work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

It has a 2xAPG Rage 128 PRO, will quartz work?

Thanks.

Quartz will of course work, but there'll be no Quartz Extreme for that mac.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It is on a APG bus but there will not be quartz Extreme?

Is there any hack, like the one to get QE to work on a PCI card?

BTW thx for the reply
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quartz extreme requires a radeon or better or any nvidia video card. There is a hack to get QE on PCI video cardlink
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Damn...

Ok, well what about Panther on an iMac(350)? How will it run? Will it still have hardware 2D/3D support, with QE off?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Of my four Macs, the only one not busy doing "real" work is my old iMac DV SE (G3 400MHz), so it's the one that gets fun new software installed on. I've been playing with some of the later builds on Panther on it, and I've been quite surprised at the performance. As other posters have mentioned, Quartz Extreme isn't supported, so you miss out on some of the little niceties (like the rotating cube effect for fast user switching), but the GUI is surprisingly fast and responsive. It's definitely usable, and if all you're wanting it for is file/print sharing, and perhaps music, you're going to be very pleased with its performance.

Of course, YMMV.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Nice...

Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How will it run? Will it still have hardware 2D/3D support, with QE off?

1) It will run fast and good, much better than Jaguar.

2) Yes, 2D and 3D hardware-acceleration is still provided.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

1) It will run fast and good, much better than Jaguar.

2) Yes, 2D and 3D hardware-acceleration is still provided.

GREAT!

Just what I was looking for!

Thanks a bunch!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Don't forget to max out the ram...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I have Panther installed on a 233MHz Bondi Blue rev.B iMac with 288 MB RAM. Works like a charm, fast, responsive (relative to Jaguar and OS9). Almost all of the cool Panther effects are there like document launching, sheets.. but no cube when doing user switching since that seems to require Quartz Extreme enabled graphics. I'm launching Preview with a fullscreen shot in 4 secs, that's 1.5 bounce in the dock, and thats plenty fast in comparison to what my PowerBook G4/400 does in Jaguar.

I'm sincerely stunned by the optimization Apple have done for older machines in Panther. Jaguar made the machine usable again, and Panther even makes it fun to use!

When I'm nod using my PowerBook I use 2x1 GHz PowerMacs at work so I have not gotten used to slow machines. But my iMac is not slow anymore.