Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 336
    Well, I decided I am going to get by with my iBook 800 and wait for Powerbook G5s. I realized, after much deliberation, that I have all the pwer I need in my Dual Gig MDD for video editing, gaming, DVD Burning, etc...and all I use a notebook for right now is taking notes in class and light gaming (snood and such, nothing graphically intense) I would LOVE to have a portable video editing system, but I was a bit let down by the significance of the upgrade so I will wait for true DDR support, Radeon 9600 128MB or a next gen Radeon, 120GB hard drives at 7200RPM, and a 1.6+ Ghz G5. Enjoy your 15" Al books everyone...it's a good update if you need a powerbook, I'm gonna hold out at least til the next rev.
  • Reply 82 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I know the stores honor the edu discount on hardware but I was going by Apple's terms on the iPod deal: "Buy a qualifying iBook or PowerBook and an iPod from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating campus reseller between June 29 and September 27, 2003."

Well, no harm done. With the price of gas being what it is, I actually saved a few bucks by not driving 50 miles to the store.

The one grumble I have in all this is that I can't take advantage of the iPod deal because my department bought me my 1.25 15-incher. I did get my CFO to approve buying it on our CC, and getting reimbursed by my dept (this is quite a concession, my University is S L O W with payback checks), as we would pocket the (delayed) $200, but it was just too much of a hassle in the end. I really really want a dang iPod. Oh well.

My iSight shipped. This is funny, because it shipped from the Elk Grove plant, 2 miles from my home. It ships to my school, which is 35 miles away.

Tomorrow I'm going to skulk around the back drive of the plant in case a G5 box falls of a truck.
  • Reply 83 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well, I decided I am going to get by with my iBook 800 and wait for Powerbook G5s. I realized, after much deliberation, that I have all the pwer I need in my Dual Gig MDD for video editing, gaming, DVD Burning, etc...and all I use a notebook for right now is taking notes in class and light gaming (snood and such, nothing graphically intense) I would LOVE to have a portable video editing system, but I was a bit let down by the significance of the upgrade so I will wait for true DDR support, Radeon 9600 128MB or a next gen Radeon, 120GB hard drives at 7200RPM, and a 1.6+ Ghz G5. Enjoy your 15" Al books everyone...it's a good update if you need a powerbook, I'm gonna hold out at least til the next rev.

I decided to keep my G4 Dual 1.25. I cancelled my G5 Dual and ordered a new 15" Powerbook.
  • Reply 84 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Sounds like a good choice for you, I must admit. I think you will be really happy in June or so when G5 PBs ship. (Now someone will use this post as a "source" for a new rumor.) I waffled back and forth between a 15" and a G5, but when I get a desktop for hardcore work, it needs to be a dual 2.0GHz, and I couldn't justify such a beast through a department "office computer" upgrade. So I wait for some research $$ to roll in and have a fairly decent "stopgap" machine that allows me to continue my work style, and burn DVDs of my kids. Your MDD is probably better at that then the 1.25 PB, to be sure.
  • Reply 85 of 336
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I was going to buy a 12" PowerBook Combo...

But now with the new 15", I don't know anymore. Either a 12" or a 15" with AirPort Extreme and after-market RAM (512MB for 768MB total).

I'll wait at least until I see the new 15" in person.

Barto
  • Reply 86 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

But now with the new 15", I don't know anymore. Either a 12" or a 15" with AirPort Extreme and after-market RAM (512MB for 768MB total).

Barto

The mighty mighty gravitational pull of the 15" will suck you right in (remember, it is heavier and thicker than the TiBook!!).

Probably the biggest danger is you will somehow be able to rationalize getting both.
  • Reply 87 of 336
    Quote:

Barto

I am really thinking hard about the same thing... only $121 for the lightup keyboard here in oz if ya go the 15" p.s. where locally do you think is the best place for the ram?
  • Reply 88 of 336
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

It looks like the 12" [has] ... finally hit the sweet spot!!!!!

I'll need two more months to get the money though.

The new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook is much better than I expected. I didn't believe they would put (mini-) DVI in the 12-inch PowerBook. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as my fellow subnotebook aficionado MacGregor. However, there are two positives to waiting: (1) we'll probably get Panther pre-loaded, (2) we'll be able to see the new PowerBooks in person before buying. This brings me to Barto's point.

Quote:

But now with the new 15", I don't know anymore.

I'm facing the same dilemma. I'm obviously a big fan of the smaller PowerBooks. I'm also quite thrifty. Finally, the new 15-inch PowerBooks are just gorgeous. When I bought my iBook/500 2.5 years ago, I ordered the Combo model but then downgraded to the plain CD-ROM because I was cheap. Now I'm facing a similar issue with my return to the PowerBook camp. Should I be reasonable and get the Combo 12-inch? The US$1399 educational price is just so nice and low. OTOH, the SuperDrive would be very nice to back-up part of the large HDD I would BTO. Then there's also the 15-incher. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, so well proportioned. The price increases from one model to the next are set well. Let's see...

* 12-inch PB w/ Combo US$1399

* 12-inch PB w/ SuperDrive, add $200

* 15-inch PB w/ Combo, add $200

* 15-inch PB w/ SuperDrive, add $500

It's crazy to think that I paid US$2700 for my low-end PowerBook 520c in 1994. Value for money has come such a long way on the low end! If I get the 12-inch Combo instead of the 15-inch SuperDrive, I will save $900. That would almost pay for a 20-inch Cinema Display (or a nice 3rd party LCD).

I'm definitely going to wait until I can evaluate the new PowerBooks in person. I might also wait for Panther. But I will definitely not wait for the next PowerBook revision this time around.

Escher, overjoyed
  • Reply 89 of 336
    Quote:

Barto

You will like it! I love the backlit keyboard.
  • Reply 90 of 336
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

The mighty mighty gravitational pull of the 15" will suck you right in (remember, it is heavier and thicker than the TiBook!!).

Probably the biggest danger is you will somehow be able to rationalize getting both.

LOL.... I don't have the money to get 2, and I don't think anyone would loan me any.

As far as RAM goes, I have the advantage of getting it at cost price, working for a Mac reseller as I do. I checked all the usual haunts (eg http://www.secretnet.com.au ) but found no DDR333 SO-DIMMs anywhere.

Barto
  • Reply 91 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I know the stores honor the edu discount on hardware but I was going by Apple's terms on the iPod deal: "Buy a qualifying iBook or PowerBook and an iPod from the Apple Store for Education Individuals or a participating campus reseller between June 29 and September 27, 2003."

Well, no harm done. With the price of gas being what it is, I actually saved a few bucks by not driving 50 miles to the store.

They honored the iPod discount as well. And yeah, no harm done . . .
  • Reply 92 of 336
    I ordered the stock 1.25 15" yesterday lunchtime (17th) and it shipped early this morning (18th). Has anyone else in the UK had theirs shipped yet? Seemed early as it was quoting 2-5 days build when I ordered!

Shame that 'Express' delivery is stated as taking 2-5 days. \
  • Reply 93 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

The new Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook is much better than I expected. I didn't believe they would put (mini-) DVI in the 12-inch PowerBook. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as my fellow subnotebook aficionado MacGregor. However, there are two positives to waiting: (1) we'll probably get Panther pre-loaded, (2) we'll be able to see the new PowerBooks in person before buying.

Yes, I agree Panther pre-loaded is a bit of a plus though also a bit of just making me feel better...

...oh, why can't we get the lit keyboard BTO on the 12-incher?!?!?!
  • Reply 94 of 336
    15" Superdrive PB with stock RAM (to be immediately upgraded to 1 GB via Crucial) and stock HD (to be eventually upgraded when an 80 GB, 7200 RPM 16 MB cache notebook drive is available).

Also a cheapy but not too ugly PC 15" 1024 flat panel for extended desktop at home. I was going to go with the 17", but for less money I can get even more pixels at home where I need 'em, and a much more mangeable laptop size on the road. I just couldn't imagine lugging that 17" to three client sites a day.

The $275 15" flat panel also gives me one other luxury. Single external monitor mode for native rez gaming. I HATE running Warcraft III at 1024 on a 1280 or 1440 display.
  • Reply 95 of 336
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

I ordered the stock 1.25 15" yesterday lunchtime (17th) and it shipped early this morning (18th). Has anyone else in the UK had theirs shipped yet? Seemed early as it was quoting 2-5 days build when I ordered!

Shame that 'Express' delivery is stated as taking 2-5 days. \

the person i share a studio with ordered his 15" PB on the day of the keynote -- its hasn't arrived here yet but it says it has shipped...
  • Reply 96 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

I ordered a 15" superdrive, 5400rpm hd, 512 ram (already ordered another 512 chip), and a 10GB iPod. Out the door (after rebates, before tax) for $2570... pretty nice deal in my opinion! My first mac

congrats
  • Reply 97 of 336
    resres Posts: 711member
    I really really really want the 17" with 5400rpm drive... but I don't have the $$$

I just had birthday, if anyone would like to get me a belated present...
  • Reply 98 of 336
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What do we know about the AlBook 15" monitors? How bright are they, I know that the 12" Rev. A screen was almost unusable outside on a bright and sunny day...the fourth of July as it were.

Haha using that though made me decide I wanted a PoweBook instead of a G5 and so I now have a PBook on the way to me!
  • Reply 99 of 336
    sigh, i just got back from the apple store after spending some time with the new 15 inch. It is really great. I'm beginning to second guess my idea that it is too big to be a comfortable portable. I was just wondering if there was any chance Apple might soon add the backlighted keyboard as an option on the 12 inch? I would be willing to wait a bit for that cool and useful option
  • Reply 100 of 336
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Yes, I agree Panther pre-loaded is a bit of a plus though also a bit of just making me feel better...

...oh, why can't we get the lit keyboard BTO on the 12-incher?!?!?!

Anything that makes us feel better is good, MacGregor. We'll also have more time to make up our minds between the 12-inch and 15-inch PowerBooks. I'm probably going to buy a 3rd party 17-inch LCD with dual inputs (VGA and DVI) for our "new" Windows PC (it's an old box I got free from work). So at home I'll have a larger monitor to use/share. The 12-inch has plenty of power for me, as it would replace my iBook/500 and the old Bondi iMac/233. In addition, the 12-inch will have longer battery life due to the smaller screen. The 12-inch is insanely close to iBook price territory as well. Finally, even though I used to scoff at a gimmick like the glowing keyboard, I agree that it would have been a super-cool BTO option. That's one of the features drawing me to the 15-inch. (The other major draw-back of the 12-inch is the nVidia chip. I don't mind the 32MB VRAM, but I can't stand nVidia.)

Quote:

Originally posted by cris84

I'm beginning to second guess my idea that [the 15-inch] is too big to be a comfortable portable. I was just wondering if there was any chance Apple might soon add the backlighted keyboard as an option on the 12 inch?

cris84: The new 12-inch PowerBook was just announced, and it's not even shipping yet. So I don't see Apple adding the backlighted keyboard to the mini-Book for at least another 6 months, if at all. However, I am going through the same process of second-guessing and re-evaluating my obsession with the smallest and lightest PowerBooks. Only a trip to the Apple store for a physical comparison (as soon as the 12-inch is shipping) will let me make up my mind.

Escher