I Just killed EMODE ....Stone Dead

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yep...Moving on from my suspicion that the " Emode" pooper was a class of Java...I killed it stone dead by disallowing " enable scripting " ( untick )

In IE go to Prefs: scroll to

" Web Content"

Under " Active scripting "

disallow the " enable scripting" box.

As an added precaution I have also disallowed

"Animated gifs "

Result : the Ads are completely gone...no just not popping but utterly GONE....Yippee...

MODS have a heart .. I know it should be in Genius Bar but given the numbers of viewers to AO...I though it would be the quickest way to spread the message..

cheers..8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Hate to break it to ya, but nearly all pop-ups operate using javascript. I'm glad you found a solution you are happy with though. Disallowing animated gifs though? Won't you miss the charming animated smileys?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sheesh, man, get firebird or something. If you can't do that, set up a vnc server on your mac and surf using a vnc viewer. there's no excuse for self-torture.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    see the suggestions thread esp. re: your hosts file and how to kill off all these ads.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Don't miss the animated rolly polly eyes..If I want that I take a shot of tequila...

Thanx for the alternatives ..but this is by far the easist...

A click ..a flick...and it's lost it's dick....
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Christ. IE crashed. I didn't even realize how many pop-unders were there. IE froze. Thanks.

I'm on Camino. The best browser out there. Including Safari.

Wouldn't want to miss these...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    IE? that's for losers....

if you want a browser that works better than IE and you for some reason don't like safari, camino, chimera, icab, mozilla, netscape or lynks, go for links. why on earth to go to IE? when i can't stand any more that banner up in hte page, i start to post here using Links.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

If you want a browser that works better than IE and you for some reason don't like safari, camino, chimera, icab, mozilla, netscape or lynks, go for links. why on earth to go to IE? when I can't stand any more that banner up in hte page, I start to post here using Links.

Safari for OS 9 ?

Camino for OS 9 ?

Chimera for OS 9 ?

I've used Icab but get pissed at having to get a new download every couple of months...

Never liked Navigator..the bloated dog fish it has become..yes it was slick and slim once... but it's become like a Big Farty & Fat Elvis impersonator..

Seriously UGLY....

Besides I stiil fink on OS-X..

I'm hanging out for a Java based OS for everybody..

So in the meantime..how does that song go..

Oh yeah..I'm a loser baby......8)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Lynx!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Lynx!

I didn't think anyone took Lynx seri-arse -lee ?

Is there a good site to download latest Version ?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    you seriously use 9??? get X and get happier and flame less.. \

what's wrong with lynx?? you have even colors! i'm sure you find it on sourceforge.net. i like to have links on my x, just to be sure some sites work without gui too ..
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

you seriously use 9??? get X and get happier and flame less.. \

what's wrong with lynx?? you have even colors! i'm sure you find it on sourceforge.net. i like to have links on my x, just to be sure some sites work without gui too ..

I have X 10.2.... I just don't like it.....I've had more crashes and foul ups with X than with anything else...

My fav 4ever was & still is OS 8....

It just goes and goes........

what a sweety....8)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Safari for OS 9 ?

Camino for OS 9 ?

Chimera for OS 9 ?

I've used Icab but get pissed at having to get a new download every couple of months...

Never liked Navigator..the bloated dog fish it has become..yes it was slick and slim once... but it's become like a Big Farty & Fat Elvis impersonator..

Seriously UGLY....

Besides I stiil fink on OS-X..

I'm hanging out for a Java based OS for everybody..

So in the meantime..how does that song go..

Oh yeah..I'm a loser baby......8)

I can never find the link but it is called WACOM or something like that. They took Mozilla 1.3.1 added the spell checkers and compiled it for OS 9. I use it on my 6500 at work. I can email you think link if you pm telling me that you want it since my work computer has the link.

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

if you want a browser that works better than IE and you for some reason don't like safari, camino, chimera, icab, mozilla, netscape or lynks, go for links. why on earth to go to IE? when i can't stand any more that banner up in hte page, i start to post here using Links.

IE is on for browser testing purposes only...and for the fact that is has the best download manager on ANY browser. Camino in close second. Safari on the very bottom in this feature.

Lynx? WTF is Lynx? For geeks who want to be "different/cutting edge" fine, I'll stick with browsers that at least have some market share...and I'm not putting any browser on top...they all have their ups and downs...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

" IE is on for browser testing purposes only...and for the fact that is has the best download manager on ANY browser. "

Atta man Artman..your spot on...

IE still out-performs everything else in almost all catergories..& while the rest of you ladies are complaining about pop-ups in Ai.... IE helped me to lick the problem in no-time at all...

Besides I use it to address images & make them into thumbnails..easy as pie....It still has MY vote.