Memory for the G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a basic 1.6 G5 with 256mg of RAM. When I got it I also purchased a extra stick of 512Meg of RAM. It does not appear to recognize the stick of RAM I added. Is it true that I need to use pairs? If so can I pair a 128 stick with a 512 stick until I get another 512?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Has to be installed in identical pairs.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    And not just 2 sticks at a time, actual "paired" ram! I bought 2 GB of Ram (4 x 512MB sticks) and they don't work. It has to be special PAIRED sticks (in the same package).
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    From Apple:

Quote:

DDR SDRAM DIMMs must be installed in matched pairs. "Matched" in this context means that the two DIMMs have the same capacity and speed. A valid pair would be two 512 MB PC2700 DIMMs, for example.

Link here

Sounds like you got some bad RAM, Ebby
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The ram worked fine, just not in a G5. I thought by "matched pair" Apple ment they had to be the same size. No problem though. I exchanged my 2GB or unmatched ram for 1GB matched ram (which is twice as expensive). Anyone know if there is a difference in the matched/unmatched ram or is it just the same ram prettied-up to increase it's value?8)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    So I can't just buy a second 512 stick?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The ram worked fine, just not in a G5. I thought by "matched pair" Apple ment they had to be the same size. No problem though. I exchanged my 2GB or unmatched ram for 1GB matched ram (which is twice as expensive). Anyone know if there is a difference in the matched/unmatched ram or is it just the same ram prettied-up to increase it's value?8)

I'm quite curious to know this since I always assumed that you just needed could buy RAM from wherever and so long as the RAM you added in pairs was same size/speed/specs/etc... everything would be fine.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    From Apple;

Quote:

The computers ship with a minimum of 256 MB of RAM, installed as a pair of 128 MB DIMMs in two of the DIMM slots. You can install additional DIMMs, provided they are installed in pairs of equal size. A diagram marked on the logic board near the slots illustrates how the pairs must be installed.

Quote:

In addition, DIMMs must fit these specifications:

? 2.5 volt

? 84-pin module

? Maximum number of memory devices on DDR SDRAM:16

? Nonparity

? No error correcting codes (ECC)

? Unbuffered (registered or buffered DDR SDRAM cannot be used)

• Reply 8 of 15
    I have a 1.6 G5 w/ an additional 1 GB RAM that I installed.

I went to the store and asked for 2 sticks of PC2700. He handed over 2 seperate bags. I drove home and instaleld them. No complications.

No need to purchase dual channel RAM. It would not be a 'bad' idea. Since I am not sure of the warrenty violations that may occur if you place un-matched RAM in a dual channel board.

The worst is that you are out the cost of the RAM. Your mobo board will not be damaged by use of the un-matched RAM ( of course if you use unspecified RAM , it may. )

I could be wrong...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Exactly what kind of RAM did you purchase?

And can someone define: "Maximum number of memory devices on DDR SDRAM:16" for those of us who are too boggled to comprehend it?

• Reply 10 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Exactly what kind of RAM did you purchase?

And can someone define: "Maximum number of memory devices on DDR SDRAM:16" for those of us who are too boggled to comprehend it?

How many modules are on one stick of your RAM?

Eight little rectangles per side is the max.

• Reply 11 of 15
    Ahh. Ok that seems simple enough. guess I'll stay away from the cheapest stuff Fry's offers.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The RAM I purchused was AZEN. I have not done any memory testing... but it works fine.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    I installed two 256 MB modules of the same make RAM packed in two separate packages. They work fine. The pair of modules must be installed in matching slots, which are numbered 1 through 4. It is not in a top down order, but goes from inside to outside. That is, one set of sockets goes up and the other set goes down, in increasing numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Anyone familiar with Muskin RAM?

They offer a specially-tuned 1GB (2X512) G5 RAM pair for $290. They say it's specially tuned for the G5 (something on the eeprom), and includes a heat sink for the RAM here's the URL:

G5MuskinRAM

http://www.mushkin.com/epages/mushki...product/991123

What do you think?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Another does anyone know ..., question.

is this ultra fast Kingston stuff compatible with th G5?

http://www.shop.kingston.com/products/hyperx.asp

faxe