Are there "cooler" companies than Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I realize this may be a biased question here. But, it seems year in and year out, Apple brings us the coolest toys around. Yes, some don't meet our lofty expectations, but for the most part, it still blows away the competition.

They also do cool stuff like the Apple stores, iTMS, etc. The coolness factor starts from the ground up. Sure, Jobs' has a lot to do with it too, but when you can get all your employees to buy into your corporate culture, you've got a winning formula.

So I got to thinking, are there any other companies that even compare? Not just on a consumer product level, but perhaps a service industry as well.

I'll throw out a few, but let's hear some others.

I particularly would love to hear about companies from Europe which we don't hear much of here (i.e. Puma, Fila)

Nike (targeted lately by anti-globalization folks, but they still have smart looking products)

Audi (awesome designed cars that exude elegance, excitement and affluence without being snobby like BMW)

Bang & Olufsen (yeah they're expensive...not sure of the culture within, but they seem to have attracted a very loyal following)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    try these companies id say there pretty cool
  • Reply 2 of 28
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    TeleVue is an awesome company. They make some sweet refracting telescopes with near-perfect optics. I met the president of the company, Al Nagler, at an astronomy convention in 2001 where he sat down and talked about optics with about a dozen or so telescope fanatics. He designs many of the optics used in TeleVue's eyepieces and telescopes.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Bang & Olufsen

One of the ones I would have mentioned.

I would mention a lot of food and kitchen stuff producers.

Valhrona

De Cecco

Le Creuset
  • Reply 4 of 28
    A. Lange & Söhne

German engineering at is finest. One of the best watch producers today, but with a less snobby image than most in the business. Pretty expensive items though.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Volkswagen

Great cars, great commercials, and great peripherals to go along with their Beetles...lol
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirPurifier

A. Lange & Söhne

German engineering at is finest. One of the best watch producers today, but with a less snobby image than most in the business. Pretty expensive items though.

I will NEVER pay over 10k for a Watch. Sheeeit
  • Reply 7 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Volkswagen

Great cars, great commercials, and great peripherals to go along with their Beetles...lol

Yeah right. Only recently has VW come out with cars that aren't ass ugly. I guess I'm just impartial because everyone around here has them.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Nike (targeted lately by anti-globalization folks, but they still have smart looking products)

really, you think so? I think 98% of what they make is crap

More.. German engineering at is finest : http://www.access-music.de/

these guys make cool stuff: http://www.elektron.se/
  • Reply 9 of 28
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Volkswagens are cool cars. I like both the old style ones and the new ones. Those 1980s Foxes were crap though.

Unfortunately, they seem to be overpriced and unreliable. The price is somewhat justified because they do make good cars with nice powerful engines, but on the other hand they have some of the worst reliability ratings according to Consumer Reports (which is usually correct about that sort of thing). Not as bad as GM, Ford or Daimler-Chrysler though.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

[BUnfortunately, they seem to be overpriced and unreliable.[/B]

really! my opinion is the exact opposite, and I owned a jetta once.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Some companies:

Griffin Technology (Before they were sooo late with their iTrips)

Mackie LARGE following in the Tech business. Pretty much every soundboard I use was a Mackie including the one on my desk here. (If you ever read one of their instruction manuals you know what I am talking about)

more to come...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Our 1984 Rabbit still purred at 260k and never dripped a drop of anything
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Yeah right. Only recently has VW come out with cars that aren't ass ugly. I guess I'm just impartial because everyone around here has them.

Well I personally love the simple and clean design of the Jetta, one of my favorite cars...and teh 2004s look awesome with their chrome accents. Very smooth cars.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Scaled Composites, Burt Rutan's aerospace wonderland.

Hand-fabricated from cutting edge materials, custom birds that ooze cool.

Just tested the rocket for their XPrize spacecraft. launch before Wright Anniversary.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Well I personally love the simple and clean design of the Jetta, one of my favorite cars...and teh 2004s look awesome with their chrome accents. Very smooth cars.

What year did they leave the ugly boxy looking style...1999? I like clean lines but there is a difference between boxy and clean lines. VW didn't have clean lines.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What year did they leave the ugly boxy looking style...1999? I like clean lines but there is a difference between boxy and clean lines. VW didn't have clean lines.

2000, I'm only 19, so my eye for cars has only been open for a year or two. I've always liked the 2001+ Jetta models, never a fan of the "old schooL" styles.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

2000, I'm only 19, so my eye for cars has only been open for a year or two. I've always liked the 2001+ Jetta models, never a fan of the "old schooL" styles.

It was the late model 99s that started the new design. I know this because I have a 1999 Jetta with the new body style
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Costco

What? You say they don't make anything? True, but they allow you to buy the stuff from the cool companies at the best prices.

By the way, I hope that by cool you don't mean pretentious and overpriced. Unfortunately, that is the rep. that Apple has among some. Its not true. Well, not entirely.

Finally, I have never flamed anybody on these boards. (I don't know enough about computers for one thing.) But if you dis' my Costco, get ready b****.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    This is real easy. BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine. My Powerbook has been compared to my BMW for it's clean design and precision build and engineering.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Ford.......... Ahhh just kiddin. they are crap!! I think Bill Gates Drives one.