OMG!!! Pop-up ads driving me to drink!!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Great help you are murbot.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If you've read the other threads in here, you know that there isn't anything we can do directly about the ads, but we're looking into it.

Anyway, it IS a suggestion. Using Safari, blocking popups and running PithHelmet, I have not seen one of these things ever.

I'm sure the issue will be resolved soon enough. In the mean time, you can either try these things out, or suffer through it, unfortunately.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, I'm back home now, on OS X (thank God!), running Safari. Not a pop-up window to be found. Just the way I like it.

Surfing this site at work sucks. Must be a sign of some sort, huh?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Oh god... listen... I LIKE IE...

OK? Do ya got a problem with that? Or do I have to eKick your ass!

Let us leave it at this... I like IE under windows... and you don't.

That's fine, but you are taking to computer folk, so illogical concepts are really difficult for us to understand. We are also apple users, so aesthetics are obviously important to us, too.

Quote:

AI are you on crack? Why piss off your members?

Here's what happened to me. I have used IE at work for a while, not for any good reason, but just because I was being lazy. Sure I hated all of the explorer windows, but it wasn't incentive enough to move.

Then I started having formating problems here on the AI forums. So I switched to Firebird and then Mozilla. Greatest thing I ever did. I get my tabbed browsing, google in right in the app and have no pop-up problems.

You might want to try doing the same.

It's actually a smart move on whoever is getting the money from the pop-up ads. It's a mac forum and really the only people getting screwed are those using Internet Explorer. So AppleInsider is making money from these advertisers without affecting people posting here (unless you use IE, which most mac users hopefully don't).

That said, shetline's absolutely right that that bottle ad needs to go.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    My computer has crashed 3 times because of those FCKING POP-UPS! I've been here for a long time but unless the pop-ups go, I'm gone. Theres no reason to torture your members with something so obnoxious!................................
  • Reply 26 of 46
    The adds have stopped for me again... but for how long?
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Well not for long... they are poping up everyware!
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

That said, shetline's absolutely right that that bottle ad needs to go.

The delegate from the United States seconds that motion. That ad is causing me all kinds of grief too.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    I think we're missing something very important here...

Did someone mention drinks? Good call!

Cheers!
  • Reply 30 of 46
    I just downloaded mozilla and will install it later. However, i am using AOL for OS9 and I would just like to use the built in browser. However, the pop-ups are making it impossible. To have to use an external browser is a pain, however I have had to use IE for some sites that will not work in AOL for OS9s old built in browser.

I just did not want to have to use an external browser for a site I use very often, such as AI.

AI-just put the damn ads on the page, and drop the pop-ups! You are pissing off your loyal members-is it worth it?...................
  • Reply 31 of 46
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I use netscape 7.1 with no problems i turn off animation in netscape prefs and if yu right click some you can turn it off, i'll consider mozilla on my pc dell xp

safari on my mac and i downloaded a plugin call pithhelmit or something like that and worked great.

i try not to use MS software regardless of pc or mac. except i can't get mac mail to send,tried everything maybe i need to get entourage. but themain reason is that i don't like MS and using windows and IE or outlook are virus magnets so i avoid them.

i wish mac mail worked, i hope for an update, or move to webmail from adelphia or entourage, any others you suggest for email and there cost???
  • Reply 32 of 46
    OK, I am using mozilla now and the pop-ups are everywhere still. Its also a little sluggish. Is there a way to trun off pop-ups with mozilla? I checked preferences but didnt see anything there. Thanks
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I checked preferences but didnt see anything there.

Preferences: Privacy & Security: Popup Windows
  • Reply 34 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

OK, I am using mozilla now and the pop-ups are everywhere still. Its also a little sluggish. Is there a way to trun off pop-ups with mozilla? I checked preferences but didnt see anything there. Thanks

Preferences -->Privacy & Security -->Popup Windows -->Block unrequested popup windows
  • Reply 35 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    heh, I type slowly.

And \\/\\/ickes, there's no use bitching about a problem that is easy to solve.

I understand that you love IE, but that's the cause of your woes and until you try another browser you are stuck with popups.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Interesting, I don't have an option for pop-up windows. Are you sure its offered for OS9 version of mozilla? Its also slow as heck. Even slower than IE which is a dog...................
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

heh, I type slowly.

And \\/\\/ickes, there's no use bitching about a problem that is easy to solve.

I understand that you love IE, but that's the cause of your woes and until you try another browser you are stuck with popups.

God... I thought we settled this... I am "bitching." because the browser I use is my choice! I should not be forced to use others just because they block popups...

Using other browsers only hides the fact that AI is bombarding us with adds!

This fact is much more important than why IE sucks and why you seem to care that I use it.

When you look at the big picture the problem sits with who hosts AI...

So Cake grow up and duck off!

EDIT: hey mods... is it ok to tell someone to "duck off"?
  • Reply 38 of 46
    I killed a significant portion of what (being code-challenged) looked like pop up code.

I refuse to let this site become awful.

Jonathan
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Thank you.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Thanks J.