First your SUV, now your home, radical environmentalists

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Burning down the house

Seems the Earth Liberation Front has been at work again. Only this time instead of vandelizing SUV's, they are burning down homes, lighting fires in apartment buildings, you name it.

They claim responsibility for the actions on their website.

Burn baby burn

Quote:

The fires took out four houses under construction in two parts of the neighbourhood and caused an estimated $1 million in damages. This is the fifth action in 2003 against urban sprawl known to have been the work of the Earth Liberation Front. Other occurences of ELF actions in response to the encroachment of luxury housing on wild space since January 1st include fires in San Diego, California (August); Chico, California (June); Macomb County, Michigan (June), and Superior Township, Michigan (April).

Although there has been no statement by ELF activists about the most recent actions in San Diego, a communique sent after the fires in Macomb County read in part, "For too long, we, the people... have allowed our magnificent forests to be levelled and shipped off, our water to be poisoned and now, greed driven developers are trying to marginalize off the last green spaces and habitat of our unknown Edens." It is clear from past statements and recent actions of the ELF that urban sprawl has become a central issue in the struggle to protect the earth.

I think these folks ought to be jailed at a minimum, or given to me and my "be a good neighbor" bat. They obviously believe themselves above the law, the rights of others and will go to any length to prove it. One has to wonder how long it will be before they are shooting developers or car dealers.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I think it will take longer for them to go shooting developers than you to go shooting them.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

I think it will take longer for them to go shooting developers than you to go shooting them.

Well first I would have to own a gun. Even then I only suggested using a bat.

However they have already caused damage to plenty of private property. Again from their own website..

Quote:

The Earth Liberation Front is an international underground movement consisting of autonomous groups of people who carry out direct action according to the E.L.F. guidelines. Since 1997, E.L.F. cells have carried out dozens of actions resulting in close to $100 million in damages.

Cells... hmmm... who does that sound like? Terrorists? Of course terrorists never kill innocent people.

Quote:

Any direct action to halt the destruction of the environment and adhering to the strict nonviolence guidelines, listed below, can be considered an E.L.F. action. Economic sabotage and property destruction fall within these guidelines.

Earth Liberation Front Guidelines:

* To inflict economic damage on those profitting from the destruction and exploitation of the natural environment.

* To reveal and educate the public on the atrocities committed against the earth and all species that populate it.

* To take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.

All we need is for one of them to take it a step further. If some group were burning abortion clinics, no one would think it strange to suggest that a portion of them soon wouldn't care about harming or shooting the doctor. The same is true for thess folks. They have no control nor central organization. All it takes is for one of the cells to radicalize a bit more.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Cells... hmmm... who does that sound like? Terrorists? Of course terrorists never kill innocent people.

Oh please...

"Republican party? Party? Like the communist party in Cambodia? Wonder how soon they will find a million skulls in the basement under the white house"
  • Reply 4 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Take 'em down hard. Children need spankings sometimes.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Oh please...

"Republican party? Party? Like the communist party in Cambodia? Wonder how soon they will find a million skulls in the basement under the white house"

Give Sammi Jo some time. I am sure there is some link out there that could be found claiming that.

Meanwhile are you claiming to support the 100 million dollars of arson and damage they have caused? Do you think that these untrained, uncentralized groups couldn't even make a mistake in their actions mostly involving sabatoge and arson and cost some human lives?

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Did I ever claim that? And isn´t there a big difference between aiming to kill people and doing it by mistake? I seem to remember that killing random innoncent people by mistake has been defended here if you had a higher goal to achieve?

Just like people who destroy property isn´t likely to be murderes too you can´t go from me disapproving your way to argue to me agreeing with who you oppose.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    No need to kill'em. A simply maiming will do rightly.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    You're worried about "close to 100 million" in damages? How much damage did Enron do?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Don't try to justify what ELF is doing. Please don't be a f-ing idiot. They are destroying private property, the single most sacred institution described by our Declaration of Independence. In America, damaging private property is a crime, no matter what kind of "moral" ground it carries behind it.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Don't try to justify what ELF is doing. Please don't be a f-ing idiot. They are destroying private property, the single most sacred institution described by our Declaration of Independence. In America, damaging private property is a crime, no matter what kind of "moral" ground it carries behind it.

Exxon did more damage in one fell swoop than this group will do over the course of its entire existence, but the conservatives always need a scape goat that's not their beloved money making institutions. Gotta hide the truth and keep the dollars flowing.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    If the ELF etc can be prosecuted and held accountable,. why then do multinational corporations who cause millions of times the damage while simultaneously running afoul of the law, always get away with it? Answer: The creation, interpretion and execution of the law in America is now the bailiwick of big business more than any other party, and is becoming more that way.

These folk at the E.L.F. are idiots.ANYONE who does vandalism, such as the E.L.F., should be held responsible for their actions and have the book thrown at them. One law for everyone is what the system should be about....unfortunately, its now about double-standards, corruption and ability to purchase favors and "justice".
  • Reply 12 of 28
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Give Sammi Jo some time. I am sure there is some link out there that could be found claiming that.

Well, I did look for a link. I'm sure if anyone has any answers on "a million skulls under the White House", Henry Kissinger would be your man
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I personally would love to meet up with some of these Elf Assholes. I would love to help them help the environment by making them worm food. I actually work in the environmental area but I would not mind my Glock making their aquaintance.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I personally would love to meet up with some of these Elf Assholes. I would love to help them help the environment by making them worm food. I actually work in the environmental area but I would not mind my Glock making their aquaintance.

Yes, great thinking. Let's destroy the world with pollution but kill those that J-walk. That's quick thinkin'!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Exxon did more damage in one fell swoop than this group will do over the course of its entire existence, but the conservatives always need a scape goat that's not their beloved money making institutions. Gotta hide the truth and keep the dollars flowing.

perhaps, but it was not Exxon's goal to spill oil.

Are you really so naive? Do you know where a huge bulk of democratic campaign funding comes from? Booze. Last I checked, the perennial overwhelming donor to the party was Seagrams. Maybe I'm way off, but I'm pretty sure that's fact. Furthermore, are you so naive to think that there's this corporate underworld connected at the hip with the Republican party? Get real. Most american politicians are swayed by contributions, but I assure you that there's no underworld.

Next, we are still at a stage where oil is in high demand. Rather than burning 100 million worth of private property, which just ends up increasing insurance rates and hurting everyone, they should divert their efforts to something productive. Exxon is doing a service to most people, including, I bet, many ELF members who likely have cars, have houses that run off fossil fuel powered grids, and buy plastic goods that require oil to make.

So the booze that helped Clinton get elected was distilled using oil to create heat.

I am conscious of the environment and do what I can. But right now there's no alternative to oil for so many things. And to Exxon's credit they have put a lot of effort into repairing the damage. ELF just says "Hey, we're such great activists, look what we did!" The video footage suggests that, rather, they're just a bunch of middle aged men upset with the fact that they have sub median IQ's.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Sorry to all you tree huggers but ELF is just a bunch of terrorist scumbags and when they are caught they will go away for a very long time. I truely feel that we need to be more considerate of the environment but not through the destruction of other people's property or homes. Personally I would hope the shitheads either blow themselves up or light themselves on fire and die a slow painful death.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Here's a link to a site which tries to keep track of ELF and other eco-terrorist groups.

CDFE - Eco-terrorism site.

I'm sure there's a bit more room at Guantanamo Bay for them.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    It's sad that people will threaten death because of $100 million, an insignificant amout. Raises costs for everyone? OK, so the country can offset the costs by having everyone contribute $0.33.

Or, we can spend $250 Billion on a war.

You guys are wasing your time. The people will or won't get caught, but there are far more restaurant owners lighting 'greek fires,' raising insurance rates by far greater numbers all for personal wealth.

Do any of you get up in arms when you hear about that? Of course not, because evidently your bias is stronger than your intelligence.

When did this become a discussion about Democrat, Republicans and booze? Or even corporate profits for that matter? Did the Enron debacle not raise insurance rates for everyone? Exxon? How about the S&L scandal? I believe the numbers in those cases cost everyone a lot more than $0.33 spread out over seven years. That's less than a nickel a year and you're ready to kill.

Your bias is stronger than your ability to reason.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    The Exxon case is one of tens of thousands of incidents annually where oil (and other polluting chemicals) are spilled, accidentally. Of course Exxon doesn't want to spill oil....oil costs $$ MONEY!!!! No oil carrier or company wants to spill oil, for that reason and that reason only. Oil companies (and the corporate world in general) don't give a flying fµck about the envirnonment because environmental consciousness eats into short-term profit margins. They routinely flout anti-pollution rules because the rules are rarely policed, and the EPA is a toothless tiger; very few cases of corporate vandalism ever get to court. The Prince William Sound disaster was a rare exception, and that was only because of its magnitude and subsequent media exposure. If the captain of the tanker hadn't have been drunk, who knows what would have transpired in court?

I still think the ELF are a bunch of stupid pricks for the tactics they choose, and I won't mince my words here. But you have to be very careful equating their activities to terrorism...that is getting into some extremely sticky territory.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

But you have to be very careful equating their activities to terrorism...that is getting into some extremely sticky territory.

No, we're not.

They try to advance their cause through threats and actions designed to intimidate.

You know, like terrorists! Imagine that!