iPod collection

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a question about my iPod. I have all the music on my iPod and I have now backed up all my music onto my PC which has about 160 GB of space compared to my laptop with 40 GB. Now, if I delete this music from iTunes, I think it will erase it from my iPod the next time I hook up the iPod to my Powerbook. Am I right in thinking this? The iPod is on automatic update right now. Is there some trick to doing this so that it does not delete the music from the iPod? It took almost 100 hours to transfer all my music over to my desktop over airport and my local network so I really would rather not do that again to get the music back on my laptop. Any advice or am I crazy in thinking this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yep, if you delete all your music on the Powerbook and you've got it set to automatic update, you'll lose all the music on the iPod. In iTunes, select the iPod, click the Options button and select "manually manage songs and playlists" to prevent automatic updates.

cc
  • Reply 2 of 4
    But if I were to do an update on the iPod even if I have it set to manual, would it not erase everything?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpp1cd

But if I were to do an update on the iPod even if I have it set to manual, would it not erase everything?

No, it doesn't update at all. When it's set on manual, add songs or playlists to the iPod by drag and dropping. Delete songs and playlists on the iPod by selecting them and hitting delete. You must have a helluva lot of music. Couldn't you just manage it from the PC using MusicMatch? I know it's not ideal but if you're going to delete all your music out of iTunes anyway.....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I guess I could do that but I prefer working on my Apple whenever possible. I use the PC mostly as a storage system and a tv in my bedroom. Plus the firewire port on my pc is behind the desk and it stinks to hook up all the time to load the pc.