Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 861 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Serious question. When Panther comes out how well will it play with Jaguar? I don't feel like doing a clean install this time. (as I did for Jaguar)

How well do they go together? Am I gonna have all kinds of freaky $hit happen to my files? (aka moving around like the devil was in their pants as they did with previous X moves)?

I'm toying with the idea of just upgrading my 10.2 install when Panther is finally released. I HOPE it doesn't mess things up too much. I don't have the time to format and reinstall. I'm sure there'll be all kinds of experiencing doing this, just as there was when 10.2 came out.
  • Reply 862 of 1176
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

heres a much simpler method.

go into the expose control panel, set the keystroke for all windows to -

now go to the LCC control panel, select whatever button you want to be All Windows in expose and assign it the keystroke F9

now go back to expose and set "All Windows" to "F9"

no usb overdrive needed

OR just chose mouse button 3 for all windows and mouse button 4 for desktop in the Expose settings. You don't need LLC or USBOverdrive
  • Reply 863 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    What do you mean exactly? You're going to partition and install Panther on the same drive? Essentially, they won't "play together" at all. You're either running one system or the other... or do you mean something different, like connecting a Panther machine to a Jag machine via network?

If the latter, I haven't really heard anyone comment on this believe it or not. Personally, I am trying to figure out the best way backup my data and transfer it over when the time comes. Probably I will just drag all the important folders over to my second drive, then drag the contents back as needed. Not sure how many of my wares are going to required updating (Haxies, DragThing and such) either.

Then there's the issue of do I wait until I get all the new Adobe apps (that presumably are not out yet because they're going through final tweakage for Panther) before moving to Panther? Not sure it would make sense to install all the old apps onto Panther, then install over top of them a few weeks later.

Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 864 of 1176
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Does anybody know if sleep causes problems with an iSub in Panther. In Jaguar, sleeps causes the computer to "loose" the iSub- which requires one to just "replug" the iSub.

Must be your computer model, I've never had an issue with jag and my iSub. No prbs in Panther either.
  • Reply 865 of 1176
    NO no no, I just mean if I am running Jag, and stick in the CD from the mail, will it just install all nice and easy or will it try to do *crazy* things with my stuff.

EDIT: Hey, look at these.

http://www.apple.com/education/hed/compsci/panther.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/macosx/panther.html

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/pantherserver.html
  • Reply 866 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

OR just chose mouse button 3 for all windows and mouse button 4 for desktop in the Expose settings. You don't need LLC or USBOverdrive

im not understanding what you are talking about, i see no options like those in the expose control panel. perhaps my build is too old, im using 7b53
  • Reply 867 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

im not understanding what you are talking about, i see no options like those in the expose control panel. perhaps my build is too old, im using 7b53

I have those options in 7B44, but they don't work. At least not after installing USB Overdrive, but I have no idea of whether that has something to do with it or not...
  • Reply 868 of 1176
    where are they specifically? are they under the f9/f10/f11 menus?
  • Reply 869 of 1176
    Railhead mentions 7B74 ...

It cant be far away now... maybe just it time for a nice new 1.25 pb noooo nooo must be good..
  • Reply 870 of 1176
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I have those options in 7B44, but they don't work. At least not after installing USB Overdrive, but I have no idea of whether that has something to do with it or not...

They work fine for me in 7B53... it rocks, I just *click*select to switch windows! (Intellimouse Explorer)

I can't describe how ****ing in love I am with this feature!

• Reply 871 of 1176
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Railhead mentions 7B74 ...

Come on peeps... where are those rumors?!

No new build up on ADC yet.
  • Reply 872 of 1176
    Prolly already asked somewhere (apologies in advance), but is battery life better under panther than jag for powerbooks and ibooks?
  • Reply 873 of 1176
    has anyone noticed this little gem?

i was digging around in the system prefs and found it. sorry if it had already been posted. i was dissapointed tho that you couldnt change current commands, like making command n make a new folder and make shift command n make a new window. grrrrr
  • Reply 874 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Hey that might come of use to me!

And maybe I'll start using labels again when Panther's released..but I dunno. I've seemed to live without them and be fine.
  • Reply 875 of 1176
    Apple has posted Panther Build 7B74 to the ADC site and doesn't cite any known issues in the seed note. We're getting close here!
  • Reply 876 of 1176
    With Panther, I'm going to set up user accounts? maybe just to see the revolving cube, but how should I set it up? How do I get my iTunes music accessible to everyone for ripping and listening?

Never had accounts set up before. \
  • Reply 877 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

With Panther, I'm going to set up user accounts? maybe just to see the revolving cube, but how should I set it up? How do I get my iTunes music accessible to everyone for ripping and listening?

Never had accounts set up before. \

Just put the iTunes Music-folder in a place where everybody can find it.

In the root, in the applications-folder, anywhere, and give the folder proper access priveliges. Then just point to it in the iTunes prefs.
  • Reply 878 of 1176
    How well does Panther play with windows filesharing and printing? Is it easy to share your files and printers with windows machines now???
  • Reply 879 of 1176
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Prolly already asked somewhere (apologies in advance), but is battery life better under panther than jag for powerbooks and ibooks?

Yes can anyone answer this? Thanks.
  • Reply 880 of 1176
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Menu blinking...Remember how we could turn it off in OS 9? Can we now? I remember asking brad if the menu item starts accessing before the blinking is over and he said no. What waste of a second or two. It's just an annoying lag. I forgot about this, let's all mail Apple about this and Save and Shutdown!!!