Pictures of PowerBook innards...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Macrumors presents a link to a site with extensive photos of a disassembled aluminum 15" PowerBook.

According to MacRumors, the processor is labeled 7447, despite - as they write - that the "Apple Documentation...[implies] that the processor [is] a 7457".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

site with extensive photos of a disassembled aluminum 15" PowerBook.

As the owner of a 17" PowerBook, I'm enthralled by looking at these photos, but I'm also uneasy that it will ever work again. If I tried to do that with my PB, there would sure be some components left over once I'd finished rebuilding it.

I'm also strangely reminded of the Johnny Knoxville 'Rent-A-Car Smash-Up Derby'

Anyone else?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I guess Steve wasn't kidding when he said "available today".

The difference between the 7447 and the 7457 is that the 7457 supports L3 cache. Since Apple doesn't use L3 any more, it doesn't matter.

That Radeon 9600 is huge; it's as big as Intrepid! I don't see any video RAM, so I wonder if it's an MCM.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

I guess Steve wasn't kidding when he said "available today".

The difference between the 7447 and the 7457 is that the 7457 supports L3 cache. Since Apple doesn't use L3 any more, it doesn't matter.

That Radeon 9600 is huge; it's as big as Intrepid! I don't see any video RAM, so I wonder if it's an MCM.

Not sure what "MCM" stands for, but the Radeon 9600 diagrams have the VRAM sort of "piggybacked" ontop of the die. I don't think the silver top is part of the processor die surface.

The VRAM is probably mounted between the GPU die and the silver "lid".

Here's an article at Tom's Hardware that shows the video memory diagram I mentioned above:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030324/index.html
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Didn't that just void the guy's warranty?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Didn't that just void the guy's warranty?

Nay, only if he peels the "Apple Comuper Inc." sticker off the CPU
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You wouldn't catch me doing that to my PB.

• Reply 7 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Warrantees have never stopped the Japanese hardware hackers. They're all nuts.

It does look like it's much, much simpler to get into the innards of the new PB than the original one, which was a real bear to get open. That'll bode well for people sending them in for repair, since if it's hard to open, it's hard for the techs to open (to boot, the original Ti was easy to damage while opening).

Did they pack that thing tight, or what? Even the boards are dense.