OMG!!! Pop-up ads driving me to drink!!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

God... I thought we settled this... I am "bitching." because the browser I use is my choice! I should not be forced to use others just because they block popups...

Maybe it's just me, but I like to evolve and adopt better software when it becomes available.

Do you still use a 14.4 modem too?

Quote:

Using other browsers only hides the fact that AI is bombarding us with adds!

This fact is much more important than why IE sucks and why you seem to care that I use it.

When you look at the big picture the problem sits with who hosts AI...

Sure, it sucks that AI seems to have tied themselves to ad providers that cause problems for some, but I haven't noticed it with my browser.

Quote:

So Cake grow up and duck off!

EDIT: hey mods... is it ok to tell someone to "duck off"?

Calm down there sport.

It's entertaining to me that you get so worked up.

Please post again so that I can laugh some more.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I like to evolve and adopt better software when it becomes available.

Do you still use a 14.4 modem too?

1. Software evolves not you...

2. No, but a 14.4k modem is still useful.

3. Why do you venture further after an admin went through great lengths to stop the popups? He thought it was a problem...

Quote:

Sure, it sucks that AI seems to have tied themselves to ad providers that cause problems for some, but I haven't noticed it with my browser.

1. Because your browser blocks adds... they still get sent to your computer...

2. "Sucks" is what outsiders and members will think of AI if there experience with this site is tainted by too many ads.

Quote:

...I haven't noticed it with my browser.

Your browser??? You coded your own browser that blocks popups? I think not! You seem too dull edged for that. If you meant the browser you use, then so what... that is your preference in which browser to use... not mine.

Quote:

Calm down there sport.

It's entertaining to me that you get so worked up.

Please post again so that I can laugh some more.

Oh I get it... this is where you get the last laugh, right?

Well you see, I told you to duck off because your stubborn oversights toward the problem at hand (and the thread topic) angered me. The thread was started to protest popups when visiting the site but you seem to think it is for bashing IE and myself.

You fail to see that using popup blockers or switching browsers is not the answer. We should be comfortable in our environment, and AI needed to fix the problem in the first place. It is a problem because within 3 minutes up to 20 popups would appear. One or two is ok... even understandable. 20+ in fewer than 5 min is upsetting.

Switching browsers does not solve the bigger problem, which is the bug* in AI web site.

*I say bug because 20+ popups in fewer than 5 min was not done on purpose.

I dislike your selfish attitude toward this matter. Sure switching browsers fixes your problem, but where does it leave the AI community? That is why this forum is here... to improve the AI community, not insulting its members, or provide quick fixes. We need less people like you in these forums...

So once again... Cake... please do, duck off!
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

1. Because your browser blocks adds... they still get sent to your computer.

Not true. Actually, the software blocks ads by preventing the server requests to begin with. It saves the user both the annoyance of seeing them *and* the bandwidth of having to download them. Similarly, pop-up blockers work by preventing the JavaScripts from ever running the code that creates new windows.

People are offering you solutions to the problem with the advertisements and you come off throwing attacks at them? If you don't want to switch browsers or install something to block the ads, just deal with them until we can work out a better way to remove them.

Our higher-ups have been making changes to the way advertisements load. There is little we can do to change this at the moment. That is why we ask that you take measures on your own end as a temporary fix.

Okay?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Brad,

You were right about how ad blocking works... my bad.

Cake just rubbed me the wrong way... and I feel that telling him to "duck off" was more comical than serous.

I still stand beside my posts... AI is a community, and speaking up for people who use IE (even if it is just me) will help the community in the future. We should not have to worry about popup killers, ad blockers or mozilla for that matter. It should just be smooth sailing on all fronts.

Anyway... whatever J did it worked. No popups to be seen.

Now excuse me while I go grab a slice of.. uh.. cake.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by J

I killed a significant portion of what (being code-challenged) looked like pop up code.

I refuse to let this site become awful.

Jonathan

You are God-like. Now i can trash mozilla.......................
  • Reply 46 of 46
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Guys,

Burstmedia provided us with a faulty script. Unfortunately it was days before I was aware of the pop-up problem. By no means did we implement this intentionally. I removed it as soon as I was aware. If you continue to have problems with ads please send an email to [email protected] and I promise you the issue will be addressed immediately.

-Kasper