Impending eBay disaster - Help!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bought the Adobe Design Collection for $770 from a dude in Cali, who said it was the full version. I receive it, and it's the educational version. It is ineligible for upgrades, correct? Doesn't the splash screen say, "For educational use only?" Even more, I can buy it for $350 brand new (though I'm not academic).

I don't want to leave this guy negative feedback, for he's going to hose me right back, destroying my perfect eBay record. Any suggestions?

Here's a transcript:

Subject: RE: Adobe Design Collection, Education version, ebay #3626730961

1. This is NOT the full version! This is the educational version!!!! I can't use this software - it is ineligible for updates. I can buy the educational version BRAND NEW for $360. Please understand this is why I'm unhappy. No one in their right mind would pay almost $800 for something used on eBay they can buy new for half the price, unless there was a miscommunication.

2.You posted a photo of the non-educational version on your auction! Had you posted the photo of your actual item, it would have went for $400!!! You have not addressed this.

3. Even with the wrong photo, why did you leave out a crucial detail that makes a $400 difference in the auction final price?

4. I have dealt with sellers way nicer than you, who sent me twice as many e-mails, and answered my questions a lot faster than you, and gotten robbed out of $1800 by them. So while being nice before the sale is reassuring, it's not the most important issue for me.

Please. I want to send this back to you for credit. I do not want to escalate this. I have returned things to my buyers who weren't happy.

-me

----------------

Hello, I am confused! I sold you a product which I specified in my Auction. Clearly stated was a product ADOBE COLLECTION FULL VERSION with GO LIVE! And that?s what you got. I feel that this is not my problem at all. I mean Ive been nice and honest with you all the way. I do not want my customers to be unhappy. But I do feel like this is not my fault at all. If you wish you can file a report on me if you really feel that I have done you wrong. I stand here telling you that this was a fair deal. I have not done you wrong at all. This was an equal trade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    how did you pay?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

how did you pay?

$770. Should I just accept it, and move on? If I can upgrade this, and the splash screen doesn't say, "Educational use only" perhaps I can. Does anyone know?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    PUNK'D...

There's basically nothing you can do about it....other than dwell on the fact that you paid $770 for something that is $382 at edu.com or move on.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

$770. Should I just accept it, and move on? If I can upgrade this, and the splash screen doesn't say, "Educational use only" perhaps I can. Does anyone know?

You should be able to upgrade it. Most educational software is no different that regular(except some of them dont require serial#'s be entered). you should not have a problem(unless adobe does it different than most companies) although he did rip you off.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I also used the worst form of payment in the world - PayPal. I'm initiating the buyer complaint process.

I'm torn about what to do on the feedback - I don't want this loser to retaliate and give me negative feedback. Anyone else resolve a situation like this before?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

I also used the worst form of payment in the world - PayPal. I'm initiating the buyer complaint process.

I'm torn about what to do on the feedback - I don't want this loser to retaliate and give me negative feedback. Anyone else resolve a situation like this before?

Give him negative feedback. You can't worry about your record in a situation like this. Sheesh. Negative feedback as a seller is worse than negative feedback as a buyer.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    One question? Where does he live? Hehe.

If he clearly posted false information in the Ebay auction then you have a good case against him. File reports with Ebay, and get some friends to go to his house and... uh... get even.

But then again I'm a sore loser.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

One question? Where does he live? Hehe.

If he clearly posted false information in the Ebay auction then you have a good case against him. File reports with Ebay, and get some friends to go to his house and... uh... get even.

But then again I'm a sore loser.

Haha this is exactly what I would do too. I figure if you show up at his door with some of your friends with product in hand demanding your money back...well he only has so many options.

I would leave negative feedback telling that he lied about product description. You could always try to scare him by stating you are willing to take this to court as your attorney informed you that you could easily win. I like option 'a' though haha.

How did you get screwed $1800?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

How did you get screwed $1800?

I let a guy use PayPal, come over to my house, and take the computer. Then the transaction got reversed - it was a hijacked account. (kind of my fault - I wasn't vigilant enough). Turns out PayPal will protect you as a seller ONLY if you ship to a confirmed address (and about 8 other things too). So be careful my friends!

Hey Torfile - thanks for the input- you're right - negative feedback as a buyer ain't so bad.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It looks like I got ripped off again - although for only $520.

Look at this auction I won - a feedback rating of 107. But notice, all his auctions have been done in the last six weeks. He's building up for the big rip-off - me.

Funny, I can't seem to view the 2 negative feedbacks posted recently.

rats.

I thought I'd go legit, and buy this software. I only went for ones still in box, and shrink-wrapped, not used, so the manufacturers wouldn't lose $$.

Been a bad week.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    francisg3, sorry to hear about this. i always wondered how some people would go about screwing others on auction sites, but i never thought about the educational "angle."

if it's any consolation, the educational version can be upgraded with commercial upgrades. i mean, how else are they supposed to support those people who bought edu copies, then become professionals? that would be a pretty mean trick to say "okay, now ignore all those copies you have on our shelf and re-buy everything."

but yes, start with the normal channels of defense in such a case. ebay needs to fend off as much negative publicity as possible these days, and would probably be glad to help you get your money asap.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    if you have all the guys real contact information you should file a police report on the matter.

tell him that you are about to do so unless he immediately returns your money.

have your lawyer write him an email explaining exactly how his sale advertisement was deliberately and explicitly misleading. and that unless your money is returned immediately - a police report will be made and proceedings for bringing suit against him will commence.

going to the guys house is a great idea if you want to get shot, stabbed or go to jail. as long as you are fully aware of those possibilities -go for it.

if you are in the NEW YORK area [as i am] or in anyone of these places:

atlanta, austin, boston, chicago, dallas, denver, detroit, houston, los_angeles, london, UK, miami, minneapolis, new_york, philadelphia, phoenix, portland, sacramento, san_diego, seattle, sf bay area, toronto, vancouver, or wash, DC...

you can use the wonderful resource of craigslist.com to buy things from people face to face.

i don't advise using craig's to buy items site unseen over the phone or net. items which require shipping and or sending a stranger your money are best left to auction sites - if you are brave enough to continue in that pursuit.

i got burned by a paypal screwjob and have been doing nearly all my biz through craig's and sites like it.

there are a whole host of other caveats that you should aprise youself of if you are going to buy stuff from people you don't know - face to face.

meeting people in real life who you only know from the internet should not be done by anyone under the age of 18. you should meet people in safe public places or bring sufficient muscle with you for back up. etc. etc.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Usually when people decide to come to my place to pickup the things they win from my eBay auction I always ask for cash on hand and no other options.

When someone is asking for "private transaction" and such I always tell them "NO" unless he lives in my local area and pays me cash.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I guess that's one of the advantages of living in a country as small as mine. The maximum travel time to just about anywhere is about three hours one way. I never go for shady deals, and always go pick up the stuff myself, or have people pick up their stuff at my place, cash only. The flipside is that ebay auctions are usually scarce, and prices too high.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    You really gotta be careful on ebay. Neg. Feedback just happens. The rule of eBay is "EVERYONE gets screwed once, but a FOOL gets screwed again and again".

My future advice? NEVER buy software for over $20 on ebay. If you do, make it a half now half after recieving goods deal.

I'd just buy a slightly less legit copy for $15 from one of the many pirates out there and call it a day. If you NEED the full deal, go buy it at macmall.com or amazon. eBay is for used/stolen/damaged/phreaked/cracked/copied/funky stuff.... so take care when buying Discos Compactos.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Thank for the replies!!

I filed complaints with PayPal on both these losers. One of them refunded my money - $527. The other guy (subject of this post, who sold me the educational version) hasn't been heard from.

I've filed a case on him via Square Trade. I have the free service - no third party gets involved. My next move would be to escalate it to moderator level - for $20, they'd involve a third person.

Maybe now, I can actually feel good about paying $1200 for the Adobe Design Collection. Whew!!